PDA

View Full Version : Elsie is gone

DEFYANT
05-12-2011, 07:53 PM
We said goodbye to Elsie today.

Today my family and I had to put our Great Dane, Elsie, down. She was suffering from arthritis, diabetes and hypothyroidism. This morning she was unable to walk anymore. I made her as comfortable as possible and went to work. I consulted with the vet, but there was little to do.

Lisa came over with the kids and spent some time together. She chose to not attend the procedure, but the kids did.

So with that, I say goodbye to our dog. She was only here a short time, but had the biggest heart of any animal I've ever known. Goodbye Elsie 7/14/2006 - 5/12/2011.

If anyone is interested, this is where we began with her:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30435&highlight=elsie

ctrlraven
05-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Sorry to hear about your lose Charlie.

SC Cheesehead
05-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Charlie, My thoughts and condolences, losing a pet is losing family.

sailsmen
05-12-2011, 08:45 PM
When God made man he realized he left out the best part.

God not wanting to leave out the best part of man retraced his steps. Realizing in doing so he spelt his name as Dog and this is where God put the best part of man in Dog. ;)

GAMike
05-12-2011, 09:45 PM
RIP Elsie....... Sorry to hear about this Charlie. I'm sure having Elsie as a member of your family was a very rewarding experience. They add a dimension to our lives that is beyond words........ I'm sure she felt the same way bud.

TAKEDOWN
05-12-2011, 10:09 PM
That sucks, but I'm sure you gave her an awesome life... So no regrets my friend!

knine
05-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Sorry for the loss of your family member.

Gryphonzus
05-13-2011, 01:10 AM
I am sorry to hear of your loss! God Bless!

Ms. Denmark
05-13-2011, 02:34 AM
We,re so sorry to hear of your loss, Charlie. Eric and I certainly know hard it is to say goodbye to those beloved member's of the family. You are in our thoughts.

Bluerauder
05-13-2011, 02:59 AM
We said goodbye to Elsie today.

Sorry to hear this, Charlie. :( Condolences to you and your family.

jabird56
05-13-2011, 03:12 AM
Charlie, Sorry for your loss, but you will always have the memories. I had to put my Yellow Lab Brandy down back in January 05, she was the best dog that I ever had. And that was one of the worst days of my life.

Below is a little something that may help:

A Dog’s Plea

Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know from the fierce wagging of my tail whenever your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, and no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the warm hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with my last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

W.G. Corgill/1987

Haggis
05-13-2011, 03:51 AM
Charlie sorry to hear the sad news, Chris and I have had to put to sleep to beloved pets in the last five years and though it is heartbreaking know that you did the right thing.

CBT
05-13-2011, 04:01 AM
Hate to hear it, sorry for your loss, 5 years seems way too short.

DEFYANT
05-13-2011, 05:00 AM
Thank you everybody. I appreciate the support.

Hate to hear it, sorry for your loss, 5 years seems way too short.

Tell me about it.:mad:

I knew Danes had a short life span, but not extremely short. She was a purebred and should have lived longer.

Mike
05-13-2011, 05:11 AM
Sorry to hear about you and your family's loss.

william s
05-13-2011, 05:35 AM
Sorry for your loss.

Papillon
05-13-2011, 05:55 AM
So sorry for you loss :(

1 Bad Merc
05-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Sorry for your family's loss.

F8LBITEva
05-13-2011, 09:50 AM
sorry man. I know how it feels to have to put your best friend down.

LeoVampire
05-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Very very sorry to hear of your loss!

The work their way into our hearts and souls and become a child of yours forever!

The loss of that loved one / child is devastating to say the least!

But Elsie is no longer in pain or suffering and is now happily playing with many other dogs and waiting for the day you will be united many years down the road!

Take care of your family they will need your strength to get through this!

vkirkend
05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Sorry to hear about this Charlie. I had a Great Dane that was named "Puppy". Great dog that lived to the ripe old age of 10. I'm sure your family loved yout dog as much as we loved ours.

rayjay
05-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Just saw this. Very sorry to hear this. Elsie now has no pain and can run free.

HammerDown
05-14-2011, 08:02 AM
So sorry to hear about Elsie--our thoughts are with you.

MM03MOK
05-14-2011, 09:14 AM
My condolences, Charlie. Seems just like yesterday you brought her home.

DEFYANT
05-14-2011, 09:22 AM
My condolences, Charlie. Seems just like yesterday you brought her home.

Thanks Mary, it sure does. It was way too short. I've been over and over in my head about this and just can not get a grip on it. After looking at photos and going over her medical records, hind site paints a clear picture.

I will just say this was a perfect storm of genetics and possibly a miss diagnosis from the vet.

Should have gotten a 2nd opinion from a different vet. Thyroid tests were done a year and a half ago. We cut back her food, but her weight (excessive) stayed the same. A pill for the arthritus and thyroid a year ago could have prevented this. Two weeks ago at a different vet, there was little to do.

RoyLPita
05-14-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm sorry for your loss.