PDA

View Full Version : RustOleum shop floor coating

duhtroll
05-13-2011, 08:52 AM
I ended up going with the RustOleum since it was easily available. I made a new thread for the post-application. I will let people know how it holds up after it cures.

Last night I put this coating down. It took about 1.5 hours for a 550-ft. garage. I bought two kits, since it said one kit does up to 400 sq. ft., but I only ended up using one and had a little left over. I don't see how I could have spread it too thin since I had to go over each spot a few times to keep it even, get rid of spots, etc..

It says full curing time is 4 days on the box, but 7 days online, so I will go with 7 days. Since we haven't even moved into the house yet (not til this weekend) I can keep the MM in the old garage for a week.

The prep work was a bit tedious. Since the garage has been used for about a year I used a pressure washer to go over basically every inch of the floor. I did not get up all the stains, but I did use a degreaser for the stains that needed it and it seemed dry to the touch prior to application. Pressure washing took a couple hours for that, rinsing, and squeegee.

After that came the acid wash/etching. I was told differing stories about whether this step is needed. The box says definitely yes, the folks at Menards said if it was a newer clean floor, definitely no.

The installer of the garage floor (real estate agent I bought from also happened to be the builder/contractor - nice) said I would need to etch it or otherwise rough up the surface for better bonding. It was not a coated floor but he said the type of concrete they used forms its own seal or something.

The etching was a PITA and I should have bought a larger broom style bristle brush. As it was I applied the solution to the floor in 4x4 squares, let it sit for a minute, then brushed it in. Then rinse.

Then I had to let that dry with fans on it for two days, due to the high humidity.

It also looked (as I was doing the acid step) that it wasn't really doing anything. Boy was I wrong. After it dried I saw the surface was much cleaner and whiter and was grit-free, so I recommend this step, PITA though it was.

The coating was done last night and I won't check on it until probably Monday, when I can start moving my garage stuff over, sans vehicles. It looks GREAT at first while drying, anyway.

RacerX
05-13-2011, 10:16 AM
That looks purty! Bet you almost cringe when you first spill oil. :)

MOTOWN
05-13-2011, 11:11 AM
looks great

duhtroll
05-13-2011, 11:27 AM
It says on the box it will not only repel oil, but clean it up and wax my car after spilling.

I went high dollar.

That looks purty! Bet you almost cringe when you first spill oil. :)

a_d_a_m
05-13-2011, 12:23 PM
I used this in my basement. I have a 100yr old house with a somewhat leaky foundation (puddle in the one corner during heavy rains). It's been holding up fine for a couple years, but it is starting to peel in the one corner that gets wet.

I will use it again, no doubt.

2,4shofast
05-13-2011, 01:00 PM
I have the same in my garage, it cleans up pretty well with just about everything...spray some degreaser down and wipe it right up. Looks good:beer: