PDA

View Full Version : Music update for those who ask me

Motorhead350
05-24-2011, 09:48 AM
I am posting this because I get people asking me in PMs "Hows the music going?" So here's the latest info for everyone.

Next week or this July I will be going to N.Y.C. to record with major music producer. A year ago I gave him a demo and said asked him his opinion.

His response was "This is good, but you need to change a few things. Make it a little more commercial and give me something next time."

I met this guy at those Rock N' Roll Fantasy Camps I have been doing. What really got his attention was on how much I was outdoing everyone on Rock N' Roll Trivia. He asked me one and couldn't believe my answer.

"Who wrote He's a Rebel?"

"Gene Pitney and it was done by The Crystals. Actually it wasn't the crystals it was the blossoms. The Crystals were from Detroit. They just changed lead singers when Phil Spector came out to see them. The new singer was Darline Love. So they invited the group out west to record. Darline was on board, literally and the rest wouldn't leave home. So Phil took Darline and the bands name The Crystals out west. When they recorded the song He's A Rebel, it was with a studio girl group called The Blossoms. So in the end it isn't The Crystals at all, just the name."

"Wait! How old are you?"

"24." (at the time)

"How do you know all this? You're too young for this."

"I'm in the wrong time."

"Yeah you sure are."

So anyway that's how I got his attention, being a loudmouth. When I gave him a second demo he said "Wow you listen!" "Yeah it's no problem." The truth is I just submitted different songs that weren't modified sense our last talk.

"You know, you would take over an entire generation with this music."

"Really?"

"Yes. No one your age knows what the F Rock N' Roll music is. You could take it, play it your own way, F it up and take over. This is really good stuff. What else do you have?"

So I showed him a few other songs including a cover my best friend said we should do in our own style... a Billy Joel song. I'm not really into him, but what we did came out great. Details later. The producer hasn't heard our Marauder song and I doubt it will ever be released when we keep working our way up. We can release it on our own time and maybe under a different name for you guys. Or simply post it some where and you guys can have it for free. We will see.

So in a week or a month we will be recording with a major producer in N.Y.C. and he'll be passing off our stuff to everyone he knows at every label he knows. He's worked with Cher, Hanson (ewww) Aerosmith and other big name acts... now he has us. We changed out name to Sha-Boom!

We will see what happens next. Maybe we can catch some of you on the drive to N.Y,C. or something.

Papillon
05-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Happy to hear!!! Maybe we can hang out in the studio with you :D. Lol!

Seriously though, hit us up when you come to town so we can hang out. Is Becky gonna visit too??

Black Dynamite
05-24-2011, 10:39 AM
I've never actually heard any of your music Dom. How does one solve that?

Blackened300a
05-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Looking forward to your visit to NYC. Maybe this time we'll find another street corner to loiter and harass the locals on. :D

RF Overlord
05-24-2011, 11:04 AM
We changed our name to Sha-Boom!OK, Mr. Smarty-Pants Music Know-it-all:

Who first recorded "Sh-Boom"? I mean BEFORE the Crew Cuts...no fair Googling the answer...or Binging...

J-MAN
05-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Great story!

guspech750
05-24-2011, 12:09 PM
That's great to hear Dom.

Sent from my iPhone
Go White Sox!!!

Motorhead350
05-24-2011, 09:42 PM
OK, Mr. Smarty-Pants Music Know-it-all:

Who first recorded "Sh-Boom"? I mean BEFORE the Crew Cuts...no fair Googling the answer...or Binging...

The Chords 1954 baby.

I hate The Crew Cuts. The only song I like that they did was their version of Gum Drop.

massacre
05-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Dom-

Good luck with the session.

Motorhead350
05-25-2011, 11:27 AM
I've never actually heard any of your music Dom. How does one solve that?

I don't have any of that material on-line yet. I'll solve that soon. I might have it played on the radio soon. A friend of mine plays our demos and you can listen to his show on-line. I will pay him a visit today.

Happy to hear!!! Maybe we can hang out in the studio with you :D. Lol!

Seriously though, hit us up when you come to town so we can hang out. Is Becky gonna visit too??

For sure. I don't know about if they let people in the studio, but at the very least we can hang. Paul and I can stand on the corner, sing Doo Wop and make fun of people giving business owners a hard time. :lol:

OK, Mr. Smarty-Pants Music Know-it-all:

I'm not a know it all Bob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGaOh0szkqk

Far from it.

Good question though. I went nuts when I heard the song in Cars when they turned the neons on and cruised. Made me think... must have been nice.

Papillon
05-25-2011, 11:43 AM
For sure. I don't know about if they let people in the studio, but at the very least we can hand. Paul and I can stand on the corner, sing Doo Wop and make fun of people giving business owners a hard time. :lol:

"You, on the motorcycle!...You two girls..."

Lolol! I think I'll have to wear Depends if that's the case from all the laughing I'll be doing. Lol!

Can't wait to see you again and, (again) congrats on the good news buddy!

TFB
05-25-2011, 03:48 PM
"Who wrote He's a Rebel?"

"Gene Pitney and it was done by The Crystals. Actually it wasn't the crystals it was the blossoms. The Crystals were from Detroit. They just changed lead singers when Phil Spector came out to see them. The new singer was Darline Love. So they invited the group out west to record. Darline was on board, literally and the rest wouldn't leave home. So Phil took Darline and the bands name The Crystals out west. When they recorded the song He's A Rebel, it was with a studio girl group called The Blossoms. So in the end it isn't The Crystals at all, just the name."

Interesting, so how did LaLa Brooks fit into the Crystals? On the recent PBS Doo Wop Special, she was reported as the original lead singer...

Motorhead350
05-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Interesting, so how did LaLa Brooks fit into the Crystals? On the recent PBS Doo Wop Special, she was reported as the original lead singer...

You can hear her on the original recording of Da Do Ron Ron.

My Doo Wop DVD should be here anytime now. I watched that whole thing one night when I was near a TV.

bugsyc
05-26-2011, 05:36 AM
I just spent 10 minutes crafting a great(my opinion) post and for some reason it didn't post...I'll try again...I'm a Doo wopper from way back.Happy to hear that you're keeping it alive.I'd love to hear your music,please post a link...The EARLS....remember then,I do..Frankie Lymon and the teen agers....The Skyliners,The Marcels,Blue Moon...Earth Angel baby oh yeah....Come on down to Myrtle Beach,every little rinky dink bar has a live band...I'm sure we can get you a gig down here...money is another issue..My favorite time is cruising my MM with the doo wops playing...:coolman:

TFB
05-26-2011, 06:32 AM
You can hear her on the original recording of Da Do Ron Ron.

My Doo Wop DVD should be here anytime now. I watched that whole thing one night when I was near a TV.

I stumbled on to the program when I was out on the garage, so came in and threw a disc in the burner, I've had it for a couple of months... Of course mine isn't complete, there is more than was aired and I have all those pledge breaks(which I will get around to editing out)...

Motorhead350
05-26-2011, 12:24 PM
I just spent 10 minutes crafting a great(my opinion) post and for some reason it didn't post...I'll try again...I'm a Doo wopper from way back.Happy to hear that you're keeping it alive.I'd love to hear your music,please post a link...The EARLS....remember then,I do..Frankie Lymon and the teen agers....The Skyliners,The Marcels,Blue Moon...Earth Angel baby oh yeah....Come on down to Myrtle Beach,every little rinky dink bar has a live band...I'm sure we can get you a gig down here...money is another issue..My favorite time is cruising my MM with the doo wops playing...:coolman:

Oh heck yeah!!! That's one of my favorite things to do. Sometimes when I can't sleep at night I would hit the road at 3am in the Marauder and listen to Doo Wop. I would actually drive under the speed limit, sometimes too slow. Other times I blast it in the city and everyone once in a while people on the sidewalk will bop their heads. Its like a forgotten music.

My current favorite has to be You Baby You by The Cleftones.

Others are Imagination by The Quotations, Never Let You Go by The Five Discs, The Closer You Are by The Channels, A Kiss Is A Kiss by The Rockin' Chairs (kinda a cross of Doo Wop and Rockabilly) A Wonderful Dream by The Majors, I'm So Young/Everyday Of The Week by The Students.

I really kinda like and dislike the song Looking For An Echo. The lyrics are kinda depressing.

I found this a few months ago. The Ronettes doing a Doo Wop song. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESx1Fi9MNtw

Found a clip of this song on an album by The Cramps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-F2r2fCa8U

Not sure if this completely counts as Doo Wop, but I love it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbm1yfWi-e0

A few weeks ago I was driving some people around in a van. They heard me playing The Ronettes singing Doo Wop and they were like "Wow never heard this version before." They were all at least double my age, some more. I was like "Like old music hua?" I put on something else and no one knew it. I was like "What we have is a generation gap. Let me see if I can find the beatles for you on the radio."

:lol:

Sorry to ramble on.

Motorhead350
06-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Here is something funny. I finally got a call back after calling over and over for the past week. Instead of saying "Hey it's Dom, let me know when ya wanna meet up. Thanks. Bye." I said "Hey thank you for devoting your time to us. We really appreciate it. Back in London...." You get the idea. I left a nice message and I meant it. Sure enough I get a call back an hour later.

"Looks like we are going to be in the studio the middle of June or the end of June."

I'm sooo happy. The Marauder is on it's way to being fixed and I'll be off to record in N.Y.C.

I knew this was my year!

For those who are wondering what we sound like, here's a hint. We cover this song... Ramones style.

100% Rock N' Roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRZy0uapPGI

We have a few songs that kinda sound like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_y44jsG0A

3 CHords, 2 minutes, Rock N' Roll on crack = Punk Rock.

So we are Punk N' Roll???

Who knows details later! :D

CBT
06-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Here is something funny. I finally got a call back after calling over and over for the past week. Instead of saying "Hey it's Dom, let me know when ya wanna meet up. Thanks. Bye." I said "Hey thank you for devoting your time to us. We really appreciate it. Back in London...." You get the idea. I left a nice message and I meant it. Sure enough I get a call back an hour later.

"Looks like we are going to be in the studio the middle of June or the end of June."

I'm sooo happy. The Marauder is on it's way to being fixed and I'll be off to record in N.Y.C.

I knew this was my year!

For those who are wondering what we sound like, here's a hint. We cover this song... Ramones style.

100% Rock N' Roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRZy0uapPGI

We have a few songs that kinda sound like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_y44jsG0A

3 CHords, 2 minutes, Rock N' Roll on crack = Punk Rock.

So we are Punk N' Roll???

Who knows details later! :D

Punk N Roll, nice! :beer: Hope it all works out for ya, brother. :banana2: