PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendatios for a Garage door opener

Da Dark Jedi
05-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Looking to get a garage door opener for my aunt. The garage door is not the typical door ,it's made of 2"x4" boards and is heavy to sat the least. She wants a "commercial" door opener. The only think I can think of is a Chamberlin or Liftmaster. The door is 12' wide and 9' high (these are minimum dimensions) I haven't measured. Any recommendations? Amps and HP also.

LeoVampire
05-27-2011, 05:19 PM
You can use a chain drive 3/4 or full horse opener.

You just have to make sure it is well secured with angle iron.

Do not go with a belt drive it will not last long.

A friend owns a garage door business so I asked him.

BTW it might be a good idea to buy new springs for the door if it is that hard to open from the sounds of it you might have torsion bar springs above the door instead of on the sides.

Da Dark Jedi
05-27-2011, 05:40 PM
You can use a chain drive 3/4 or full horse opener.

You just have to make sure it is well secured with angle iron.

Do not go with a belt drive it will not last long.

A friend owns a garage door business so I asked him.

BTW it might be a good idea to buy new springs for the door if it is that hard to open from the sounds of it you might have torsion bar springs above the door instead of on the sides.

Thanks... The door does have two springs mounted 1 per side. Are these "Torsion bar springs"? It opens fine just will not close. You have to use a ladder to pull it up and out for it to close. The age of it is 50 years old, it came with the house back in the 60's. It's all made of wood so it's starting to rot away.

TFB
05-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Chamberlain builds the Lift Master and also the Sears Craftsman, none of the Sears openers are designed to lift a really heavy door, dunno if the others mentioned are any more durable...

Any residential opener is mfg'd to lift a door that can be easily opened and closed... You can usually increase the force to get them to open the door but at a reduction in belt or gear life... If the door is balky in closing, the safety will sense there is something caught in the door and will reverse...

LeoVampire
05-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks... The door does have two springs mounted 1 per side. Are these "Torsion bar springs"? It opens fine just will not close. You have to use a ladder to pull it up and out for it to close. The age of it is 50 years old, it came with the house back in the 60's. It's all made of wood so it's starting to rot away.

Mount new rollers on the door panels and or check and realign the door roller channels so they do not bind.

I have worked with him before and you would be surprised what a few new parts and a bit of realignment does with an old door.

If the springs are on the sides of the door heading into the garage bay they are easy enough to replace with the door up and locked into place with a couple of vice grips to take pressure off the springs.

If the spring spans the top of the door opening let a professional mess with it they are very dangerous to even adjust.

TFB
05-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Really sounds like she needs a new door worse than a opener...

Da Dark Jedi
05-27-2011, 06:01 PM

I was thinking the same thing, but... It's hard to spend other peoples money. She is Handichallenged and her twin sons (they are in their late 30's) just get her a 08 Chevy. Of course they both live in Cali.

TFB
05-27-2011, 06:23 PM
If the door doesn't glide smoothly up and down, the opener is going to be a waste of money... Also if you plan on a professional installer doing the work, they will not do the install until the door is repaired...

dbc1965
05-28-2011, 07:00 AM
dark go to sears they honor all their products Purchase garage door opener for my mom from sears still working no problems was a 1 horse power I get someone to install everything has just right. had a couple extra items with install to keep her safe.

fastblackmerc
05-28-2011, 07:30 AM

If the door doesn't glide smoothly up and down, the opener is going to be a waste of money... Also if you plan on a professional installer doing the work, they will not do the install until the door is repaired...

If the door is hard to open a new opener is a waste of her money like TFB said.

I'd get prices on installing a new light-weight steel door. It may be cheaper than you think.

TFB
05-28-2011, 08:04 AM
dark go to sears they honor all their products Purchase garage door opener for my mom from sears still working no problems was a 1 horse power I get someone to install everything has just right. had a couple extra items with install to keep her safe.

Interesting, I serviced Sears openers from the early 70's till '05, never seen a 1Hp unit...

LeoVampire
05-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Interesting, I serviced Sears openers from the early 70's till '05, never seen a 1Hp unit...

It is a commercial grade and you have to order them not available in the store's as far as I know.

dbc1965
05-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I said i think it was a one horse been like 2 years ago give me a break