PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

MOTOWN
05-30-2011, 03:09 AM
I just wanted to take pause a give a very sincere THANK YOU to all veterans past, and present!

Because of your actions i enjoy freedom! other countries only dream about:bows::bows::bows::bows:

knine
05-30-2011, 03:49 AM
God Bless all those who have sacrificed to secure our liberties.
http://www.arcamax.com/newspics/20/2022/202226.gif

LIGHTNIN1
05-30-2011, 06:37 AM
I just wanted to take pause a give a very sincere THANK YOU to all veterans past, and present!

Because of your actions i enjoy freedom! other countries only dream about:bows::bows::bows::bows:

# 1 to that.:2thumbs::2thumbs::snare:

Papillon
05-30-2011, 07:00 AM
THANK YOU! And enjoy your day! http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/jill61-603505-albums-emoticons-pic42899-american-flag-smiley.gif

LeoVampire
05-30-2011, 08:29 AM
I hope Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend everyone!

To all the fallen you will never be forgotten your sacrifice for your country will always be remembered! :flag:

SC Cheesehead
05-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Yup.

Like the saying goes, freedom isn't free.

A THANK YOU to all the men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present.

God bless.

Ozark Marauder
05-30-2011, 09:02 AM
"...that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion, that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God, ...and that government of the people by the people and for the people shall not perish from the earth." --Abraham Lincoln

TAKEDOWN
05-30-2011, 09:33 AM
HApPpY Memorial Day Gang!!!

SC Cheesehead
05-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Interesting slideshow about celebrities who have served in the armed forces.

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2011/05/29/celebrity-veterans/?test=faces#slide=15

And let's not forget the service of our former Comanders-in Chief:

George W. Bush: Air National Guard (Lt.)
George H.W. Bush: US Navy (Lt. j.g.)
Ronald Regan: US Army Air Corps (Captain)
Jimmy Carter: US Navy (Lt.)
Gerald Ford: US Navy (Lt. Commander)
Richard Nixon: US Naval Reserve (Commander)
Lyndon Johnson: US Naval Reserve (Commander)
John F. Kennedy: US Navy (Lt.)
Dwight D. Eisenhower: US Army (Commanding General)
Harry S. Truman: US Army Reserve (Colonel)

loud2004marquis
05-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Happy Memorial Day!

IwantmyMMnow!
05-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Interesting slideshow about celebrities who have served in the armed forces.

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2011/05/29/celebrity-veterans/?test=faces#slide=15

And let's not forget the service of our former Comanders-in Chief:

George W. Bush: Air National Guard (Lt.)
George H.W. Bush: US Navy (Lt. j.g.)
Ronald Regan: US Army Air Corps (Captain)
Jimmy Carter: US Navy (Lt.)
Gerald Ford: US Navy (Lt. Commander)
Richard Nixon: US Naval Reserve (Commander)
Lyndon Johnson: US Naval Reserve (Commander)
John F. Kennedy: US Navy (Lt.)
Dwight D. Eisenhower: US Army (Commanding General)
Harry S. Truman: US Army Reserve (Colonel)

Interesting....no Air Force...

Bluerauder
05-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Dwight D. Eisenhower: US Army (General of the Army and Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Forces (SHAEF))

There ^^^^^ I fixed it for you. I believe that he was also the first Supreme Allied Commander, Europe (SACEUR).

The term "Commanding General" is too generic and can encompass every general officer rank from Brigadier General (1-star) at the Brigade level, Major General (2-star) at the Divison level, Lieutenant General (3-star) at the Corps level, and General (4-star) at the Major Command (MACOM) or Combatant Command (COCOM) level.

The rank of 5-star General of the Army (used only in wartime) was intended to confer visible seniority/rank above all the 4-stars. There is one rank higher General of the Armies (also 5-star) that has only been used twice in history. Only John J. Pershing and George Washington were offically conferred that rank. Douglas MacArthur was considered but never officially given that rank. Plans for a 6-star rank were shelved after the Japanese surrender in 1945.

SGT_MERC
05-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Happy Memorial Day to everyone. My condolences to anyone who has lost an acquaintance, friend or family member while serving in the military. To all those who were in the military, WELCOME HOME!!!

CBT
05-30-2011, 06:11 PM
I wish they'd all come back like they left here, alive. :flag:

SC Cheesehead
05-30-2011, 06:44 PM
There ^^^^^ I fixed it for you. I believe that he was also the first Supreme Allied Commander, Europe (SACEUR).

The term "Commanding General" is too generic and can encompass every general officer rank from Brigadier General (1-star) at the Brigade level, Major General (2-star) at the Divison level, Lieutenant General (3-star) at the Corps level, and General (4-star) at the Major Command (MACOM) or Combatant Command (COCOM) level.

The rank of 5-star General of the Army (used only in wartime) was intended to confer visible seniority/rank above all the 4-stars. There is one rank higher General of the Armies (also 5-star) that has only been used twice in history. Only John J. Pershing and George Washington were offically conferred that rank. Douglas MacArthur was considered but never officially given that rank. Plans for a 6-star rank were shelved after the Japanese surrender in 1945.

Once again, Charlie, I stand in awe of your breadth and depth of knowledge. :bows:

I stand corrected, and appreciate the clarification. :up: