PDA

View Full Version : Window tint laws... again

Motorhead350
06-01-2011, 02:32 AM
Does anyone know what the CURRENT law is here in Chicago? I did a few searches with dated information as the result. I tinted some windows the other day and found out how simple it really is if you take your time. So I wanna tint the Marauder.

I was thinking 3% back row and window and 35% up front. I thought 35% was fine up front, but the city of Chicago says no to any tint in the front... while the STATE of Illinois is fine up to 35%.

Anyone know the real deal? Finding state law is easy, city is rather difficult.

Thanks!

Mike
06-01-2011, 04:06 AM
Does anyone know what the CURRENT law is here in Chicago? I did a few searches with dated information as the result. I tinted some windows the other day and found out how simple it really is if you take your time. So I wanna tint the Marauder.

I was thinking 3% back row and window and 35% up front. I thought 35% was fine up front, but the city of Chicago says no to any tint in the front... while the STATE of Illinois is fine up to 35%.

Anyone know the real deal? Finding state law is easy, city is rather difficult.

Thanks!

PM sent :D

Da Dark Jedi
06-01-2011, 04:08 AM
PM sent :D

Mike, make what you know public, so we all know whats goin' on.

bugsyc
06-01-2011, 04:53 AM
+2.Curious minds want to know.

justbob
06-01-2011, 05:01 AM
Current law of Illinois effective Jan. 1 2010 that is 100% UNLAWFULL for ANY city to "change" is 35% on all windows excluding windshield UNLESS you have darker than 35% in back windows, then you can only have 50% on fronts.

Chicago over night raised the fine from $25 to $250 for front tints and fully enforces this illegally. This has been discussed even on the news and yet the tickets still keep coming. No city can change illinois vehicle equipment laws.

Even if you have quests with out of state plates, they will in fact recieve tickets!!!

Every person who has taken the time off to contest it in court has won BTW.

dbc1965
06-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Dom

200.00 dollars fine in the city I've been pop 3 times for it. Beat twice out of 3 tickets all three times wasn't pulled over the car was park at legal space. So be mindful where you park at. My tint is 15 percent you can clearly see through. Chicago has change alot.

Motorhead350
06-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Looks like it's still best to leave the car alone... as long as I am living here.

Ozark Marauder
06-01-2011, 06:40 AM
I feel for the Chicago folks, but now having been exposed to the workings of Chicago politics, read Obama, it all makes sense to me now. Nothing more than redistribution of wealth on a local level.
Video link:
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-home-rule-tint-tickets-92929004.html

MERCMAN
06-01-2011, 08:00 AM
So if you are from out of state and they pull you over for illegal tint,, what do they expect you to do? strip it off and continue on your way? I don't think so Scooter!! Pay a ticket?? Again,, no effing way. What can they do to you? Put your pic up at the toll booths and not let you back into Ill.?

Spectragod
06-01-2011, 08:39 AM
So if you are from out of state and they pull you over for illegal tint,, what do they expect you to do? strip it off and continue on your way? I don't think so Scooter!! Pay a ticket?? Again,, no effing way. What can they do to you? Put your pic up at the toll booths and not let you back into Ill.?

Warrant for your arrest comes to mind. If your not a resident, good luck enforcing that law on the out of towners....

CBT
06-01-2011, 08:40 AM

Chicago is an illegal alien sancuary city, gotta pay for supporting them somehow. You cannot put thier pictures up at the stateline, 20 human rights groups would take thier side, but a window tint scoff law, now that's serious crime right there. Just say "No habla", and you will be let go.

dbc1965
06-01-2011, 09:06 AM
chicago they don't give grace peroid on tickets like before 30 days then they add on interest then boot your car. What i done was found silver birch Marquis right down the street from me lol ask owner for his permision with no tint took pictures of windows went to court and won twice.

slickster
06-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Well that's sad. A black mm does not look right without tint

PonyUP
06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
I feel for the Chicago folks, but now having been exposed to the workings of Chicago politics, read Obama, it all makes sense to me now. Nothing more than redistribution of wealth on a local level.
Video link:
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-home-rule-tint-tickets-92929004.html

I think this has more to do with the Daley's and their corrupt governing. As the city budget has a huge deficit and has had one for number of years, they are doing anything they can to concoct money. They figure that a good enough percentage of the people will pay them without contesting, it's free money in their eyes

CBT
06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I think this has more to do with the Daley's and their corrupt governing. As the city budget has a huge deficit and has had one for number of years, they are doing anything they can to concoct money. They figure that a good enough percentage of the people will pay them without contesting, it's free money in their eyes

Hmmm.....Daley sells Chicago's parking meters to some company for a 99 year contract. Daley retires as Mayor, get's job at said parking meter company's law firm. Nope, nothing wrong going there, move along people, nothing to see, nothing to see!

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Daley-Lands-Job-With-Parking-Meter-Lawyers-122931698.html (http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Daley-Lands-Job-With-Parking-Meter-Lawyers-122931698.html)

Da Dark Jedi
06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Is this what you guys are looking for???

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/96/HB/PDF/09600HB3325lv.pdf

MERCMAN
06-01-2011, 02:48 PM
(f) Paragraphs (a), (a-5), and (b) of this Section shall
not apply to:
(1) (Blank). motor vehicles manufactured prior to
January 1, 1982; or
(2) to those motor vehicles properly registered in
another jurisdiction.

So,if I am understanding this.. not valid if your vehicle is not registered in Illinois?

Da Dark Jedi
06-01-2011, 02:51 PM
forgot to add..

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...000&Print=True

This link, according to the Facebook page, "... shows that Chicago cannot claim a "Home Rule" over this law as Municipalities cannot change items listed in the Illinois Vehicle Code."

That information comes directly from the State Representative's Office.

My understanding is that the City's municipal code 9-76-220, which addresses tinted windows, is not valid, but they still have it on the books.

Chicago still gives tickets for tints. And it got even better: as of recently you have no option to contest the tint ticket (I've heard different ).
I also think it's bs that,after the state law has been changed, the city increased tint tickets tenfold, from 25.- to 250.-

I'm still working on Section 11 which Chicago enforce, I think Section 12 they cannot superceed the state law.

Da Dark Jedi
06-01-2011, 02:54 PM

YES! Our LEO's have been known to make motorist peel their tints on the spot. Do you really want to get a "Beat Down".

Da Dark Jedi
06-01-2011, 03:41 PM
The debate continues!!

http://www.nbcchicago.com/station/as...t_Chicago.html

chapter 11 of IL Vehicle Code does have a clause ("power of local authorities") where cities can enact their own ordinances that can supercede the code. however, chapter 12 has no such clause.

of course, the city will try every means it can to hand out tickets and gain that $250 revenue (which BTW, chapter 11 states $250 is already the MAX fine). they will try to use scare tactics to get you to pay the fine. think how many people are still in the dark about HB3325 and are paying the fines.

justbob
06-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Word on the street through other car forums is judges are getting quite "unhappy" with Chicago police and this matter. From what I read all you have to do is show up, no excuse needed, POOF gone. The judges apparently still follow state and federal laws around here, go figure..

Okay, so I take a day off to fight it? Thats it? In my line of work you aren't allowed that luxury unless someone is dying, or your nose is brown and stinkin, not too mention it would cost A LOT more to take the day off!!! Not to mention gas and tolls!

Fact is a lot of people will not take the day off because either A. they can't or B. They make too much.

dbc1965
06-02-2011, 05:50 AM
yep your right casey then if you ask for payment arrangments they add finace charge on to balance

Big Black Beast
06-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Just do 35% all around and you'll be fine.

Motorhead350
06-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Just do 35% all around and you'll be fine.

It still says anything in the front row will be ticketed, even if the ticket is illegal.

I'm moving to New York!

:lol:

Paul, make room for me!

Motorhead350
06-04-2011, 01:30 AM
EDIT: Reposted.

IN other news I love the song Ride! by Dee Dee Sharp and Gingerbread by Frankie Avalon.

TAKEDOWN
06-04-2011, 01:13 PM
It still says anything in the front row will be ticketed, even if the ticket is illegal.

I'm moving to New York!

:lol:

Paul, make room for me!

Oh thank God, take 'em away from us Paul, LOL!

Bigdogjim
06-04-2011, 01:34 PM

Well this is what they can and will do. Send a notice to your state (if other then Il.) that you have a outstanding fine/ticket and the the state DL will be not be re-newed until the fine/ticket are settled. YOu home state will sit on the notice untill you go to renew and then:flamer:

Seen it happend to more than one driver:help:

sanco
06-06-2011, 06:27 PM
ok so here is the information from someone that had to go to court recently for the tint ticket inside chicago when i had them on my grand marquis.

as you know by now, since chicago pays most in taxes, they get home rule authority. simple terms thats basically how it works.

according to the home rule, they can make laws that govern public safety. window tint falls under that clause and home rule is in the illinois state constitution.

just showing up will not make the ticket go away. the ticket is an administrative hearing fine, this means that the officer does not have to be there to get tried. when i fought mine, the officer was not there and it was up to me to fight the ticket. this ticket was issues by a meter ferry and not a LEO, i still had to prove my case.

bottom line it means you have to have a strong defense and get lucky with who gets assigned to your case. if the administrative hearing officer likes you, you will win, if not then you are SOL.

my guy was not too interested in what the state law had to say since chicago ordinance is pretty clear on the issue. he wanted to see proof that the tint was removed...which it was. so again, depends on what the hearing officer wants to see come out of you fighting it.

i asked about the illinois law AFTER i won my case, he mentioned that its a good question however its something that you would need to take up with the higher court. since i won, i really didn't want to test my luck again :D

but yea, so in a nutshell, expect to get a ticket and if you do you can fight it and maybe win or pay it and be done with it

Motorhead350
06-07-2011, 07:28 AM
I will stay with no tints. Oh well.