PDA

View Full Version : Tonadoes in MA! YIKES!

Egon Spengler
06-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Well it is our turn for the wild weather. We have had 4 confirmed fatalities from tornadic activity here in MA. The tornadoes hit Springfield MA and worked their way east and passed under my town by about 20 miles. Though they missed my area, we got some unbelievable weather in my town and we (fire department) were running around like crazy chasing houses that were struck by lightning. Not only were we going crazy in our town, but we had our ladder truck heading to an area that was showing possible tornadic activity. I couldn't believe the light storm we had in our town and I couldn't imagine what was happening South of me! Scary stuff. Now our ladder truck is in Springfield which is about 60 miles away from us! From what the news is saying, there are about 100 fire trucks from all over MA converging on the city of Springfield to help with coverage of the city and surrounding towns. There are areas of cities and towns that were blown away. Our footage looks like something you would see in Joplin. Big buildings with windows blown out and stuff all over the ground. Trees broke in half, etc. Usually when I hear of a tornado warning or watch, I wouldn't think anything of it, but I may think twice now! Usually if I hear of a tornado watch or warning, I just think strong thunder storms and that I will be chasing houses struck by lightning. Will definitely have an ear to the ground and an eye to the sky from now on. Scary stuff!

kernie
06-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Well it is our turn for the wild weather. We have had 4 confirmed fatalities from tornadic activity here in MA. The tornadoes hit Springfield MA and worked their way east and passed under my town by about 20 miles. Though they missed my area, we got some unbelievable weather in my town and we (fire department) were running around like crazy chasing houses that were struck by lightning. Not only were we going crazy in our town, but we had our ladder truck heading to an area that was showing possible tornadic activity. I couldn't believe the light storm we had in our town and I couldn't imagine what was happening South of me! Scary stuff. Now our ladder truck is in Springfield which is about 60 miles away from us! From what the news is saying, there are about 100 fire trucks from all over MA converging on the city of Springfield to help with coverage of the city and surrounding towns. There are areas of cities and towns that were blown away. Our footage looks like something you would see in Joplin. Big buildings with windows blown out and stuff all over the ground. Trees broke in half, etc. Usually when I hear of a tornado warning or watch, I wouldn't think anything of it, but I may think twice now! Usually if I hear of a tornado watch or warning, I just think strong thunder storms and that I will be chasing houses struck by lightning. Will definitely have an ear to the ground and an eye to the sky from now on. Scary stuff!

Crazy weather everywhere it seems, record high global temps in 2010...

Hey look! There is Al Gore!

:D

LeoVampire
06-02-2011, 11:33 AM
WOW all the years living in Holyoke, Chicopee, Springfield and NorthHapton and EastHampton the only tornado I remember was the one that hit the Berkshires near a Big Y supermarket but even that did not do much damage.

The system did look like it covered a large area of Mass though.

Egon Spengler
06-02-2011, 12:14 PM
WOW all the years living in Holyoke, Chicopee, Springfield and NorthHapton and EastHampton the only tornado I remember was the one that hit the Berkshires near a Big Y supermarket but even that did not do much damage.

Even the thunder storms that I received were intense! We didn't get a twister, but some scary thunderstorms for sure! I saw clouds moving south to north eventhough the storm was due east, but never formed into anything. I used to work for Big-Y. hehe. Not that big -y, but one in worcester.

BODYMAN
06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Grew up in Wilbraham (suburb of Springfield). When I was 10 yrs old we had a twister wip thru our neighborhood only one I ever remember in my 16 yrs living there. Ive lived in St Louis since moving from there (1986) and I dont recal much hail here other then last 5 yrs. In the last 5 yrs we have had well over 70 storms with hail ranging from peasize to softball just amazing.

LeoVampire
06-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Even the thunder storms that I received were intense! We didn't get a twister, but some scary thunderstorms for sure! I saw clouds moving south to north eventhough the storm was due east, but never formed into anything. I used to work for Big-Y. hehe. Not that big -y, but one in worcester.

video footage of the tornado

http://www.courant.com/videobeta/2625e063-bc8a-43e5-8da7-b87746374ecb/News/Tornado-Footage-From-Springfield-Mass-

BODYMAN
06-02-2011, 12:30 PM

Do you re,member what year Leo? Maybe the same one Iam thinking of. There was a Big-Y just across the city line in Springfield from were we lived? on Springfield St.

LeoVampire
06-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Do you re,member what year Leo? Maybe the same one Iam thinking of. There was a Big-Y just across the city line in Springfield from were we lived? on Springfield St.

I think back in 1992 or something like that. I know it was the early 90's

BODYMAN
06-02-2011, 12:54 PM
I think back in 1992 or something like that. I know it was the early 90's

Nope not the one I was thinking of that was like 1982-83 I think. No offense but about time someonelse got some of this *****y weather HA,HA. We had like 2weeks straight of hail, afternoon Tornado wacths it was getting pretty old.

Bigdogjim
06-02-2011, 06:44 PM
It has been a strange weather week in Lawrence/Boston. Today was "cold" sun was out but still "cold" temp. say 70* feel's like 40.

knine
06-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Crazy weather everywhere it seems, record high global temps in 2010...

Hey look! There is Al Gore!

:D
Record cold April, Record rainfall in april, recond days of NO sun in april. Where is this "global Warming" you speak of?

rayjay
06-03-2011, 04:12 AM
Record cold April, Record rainfall in april, recond days of NO sun in april. Where is this "global Warming" you speak of?

I agree, one of the worst winters on record here. Yesterday it barely broke 50*F here.

knine
06-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Not to mention "Snowmagedon" of Feb 2011

Egon Spengler
06-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Nope not the one I was thinking of that was like 1982-83 I think. No offense but about time someonelse got some of this *****y weather HA,HA. We had like 2weeks straight of hail, afternoon Tornado wacths it was getting pretty old.
We get plenty of s****y weather around here! Buried in snow up to our eyeballs in the winter. Trapped inside for most of April because it was raining everyday....

BODYMAN
06-03-2011, 06:20 AM
We get plenty of s****y weather around here! Buried in snow up to our eyeballs in the winter. Trapped inside for most of April because it was raining everyday....

Snow you got me beat.. Rain it was the same here for over a month and only 4-5 sunny days.. I miss alot of things from up there Like Friendlys Ice cream,Ocean,hiking but I do not miss the snow.

Egon Spengler
06-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Snow you got me beat.. Rain it was the same here for over a month and only 4-5 sunny days.. I miss alot of things from up there Like Friendlys Ice cream,Ocean,hiking but I do not miss the snow.
It is a pretty decent place to live for the most part. Wilbraham, home of Friendlys! haha. I will definitely be taking tornado warnings a little more seriously when I hear of them! We are in a pretty hilly area, so I can only hope the hills protect us from tornadoes.

BODYMAN
06-03-2011, 07:07 AM
It is a pretty decent place to live for the most part. Wilbraham, home of Friendlys! haha. I will definitely be taking tornado warnings a little more seriously when I hear of them! We are in a pretty hilly area, so I can only hope the hills protect us from tornadoes.

I visit about every three years, The 1st thing I do is hit up the Friendlys in Enfield,CN on my way from the airport in Hartford We dont have anything that compares to it.

Egon Spengler
06-03-2011, 08:23 AM
I visit about every three years, The 1st thing I do is hit up the Friendlys in Enfield,CN on my way from the airport in Hartford We dont have anything that compares to it.
Western MA is beautiful with the Bershires and everything. Connecticut is a nice ride as well. Great areas for motorcycle rides.