PDA

View Full Version : June 6, 1944

cruzer
06-06-2011, 08:50 PM
It's 10:30 PM and I just checked all the posts for today and was shocked to see NO ONE has acknowleged that, on this day, 67 years ago over 2,500 young American men died on Omaha Beach alone---over 4,000 were wounded or MIA--between June 6 and Sept 14, 1944, the United States alone suffered 29,000 killed, 106,000 wounded and MIA. My Mother was a Red Cross rep in my home town--I vividly recall going to the homes of the families who had lost loved ones--memories I'll never forget. Now, 67 years later, nobody seems to give a d---. I only saw one brief story on national television---it is disgraceful that those brave men are so quickly forgotten. I visited the D/FW National Cemetery on Memorial Day---since it opened in May, 2000, they have buried 33,700 veterans--that's a lot of "Taps".
Remember D-DAY, 1944 with thanks to those who made the supreme sacrifice so you can live in a free country. GOD BLESS THOSE WHO SERVE IN OUR MILITARY SERVICES.
Humbly submitted;
Capt. J.M. "Maury" Seitz USAF
Ist. Lt. M.J. "Ginny" Disque-Seitz USAFNC

TAKEDOWN
06-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Thank you for the reminder... I salute those who served prior to me, with me, and those after me and especially to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice!

yjmud
06-06-2011, 10:17 PM
I didn't not forget
I try and thank WWII vets all the time when they are gone the stories go as well
They were and are a different breed of man I only wish I could be as good as them

Bigdogjim
06-07-2011, 12:27 AM
I was overnight in Williamsburg Sun/Mon and did not get chance to post. I had a group of middle school kid's and I asked them on the way home "what happened in history this date June 6"? Shame is no one not even the Teachers could answer.

SC Cheesehead
06-07-2011, 05:16 AM
I'll never forget the service and sacrifice our veterans have given, but you're right on missing an opportunity to publicly acknowledge that on the anniversary of D-Day; thanks for reminding us, Maury. :up:

Bluerauder
06-07-2011, 07:28 AM
It's 10:30 PM and I just checked all the posts for today and was shocked to see NO ONE has acknowleged that, on this day, 67 years ago over 2,500 young American men died on Omaha Beach alone---over 4,000 were wounded or MIA--

Guilty as charged Maury .... and I should know alot better.

My uncle was with the 26th Infantry Regiment (Blue Spade), 1st Infantry Division that was part of the assault on Omaha Beach. Many of the division units experienced 30% casualties within 1 hour of landing. My uncle received 2 Silver Stars for his actions as a combat medic for 2 separate actions during the assault. After making it to safety on the beach, he had to return twice to help wounded soldiers and carry them to safety. I read the citations .... they are incredible.

He never talked much about his experiences with the war; but he made life long friends and was a life member of the 1st Infantry Division and attended most of their reunion including a return to Normandy many years ago.

He told me that he only had one thought running through his mind on Omaha Beach and that was "Get the H3LL off this beach". He had to do it three times. And, did it without so much as a scratch. Go figure.

He was with the 26th Regimant for the 1st amphibious assault at Oran, Algeria; at the battle of Kasserine Pass; invaded Sicily; was on Omaha Beach; and crossed the Rhine River enroute to Czechoslovakia. Unbelievable. He stayed with the 1st Inf Div from start to finish.

He carried a bottle of Coca Cola in his rucksack through each and every assault and campaign. He put adhesive tape stickers on the bottle to mark every location. The deal was that he and his battle buddy would drink the bottle of Coke when the war was officially ended. As it turned out, neither of them could bring themselves to open the bottle that had become the 3rd member of their team and that had been everywhere they were. He donated this bottle to the 1st Infantry Division museum along with all of his memorabilia upon his death.

R.I.P. Uncle Bernie

sailsmen
06-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Thank you for reminding us. People have and continue to die everyday for our freedom.