PDA

View Full Version : The Big Screen Store - Reviews?

Cheeseheadbob
06-09-2011, 08:50 AM
I was wondering if any CAM members had any experience with this chain.

http://www.thebigscreenstore.com/

I am looking to buy a couple of TVs to replace some older models in my house. I was thinking of heading to this particular store tonight to see what kind of deals they are offering since big ticket items are not exactly flying off the shelves these days. Thanks in advance. -Bob

rayjay
06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
I have no info on that store, but have you checked Crutchfield out? I bought a dynamite TV through them last year at an outstanding price.

Vortex
06-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Id look at Walmart, they seem to have the same stuff but alot cheaper. Also, check walmart.com. They have lots more stuff there than in the stores.

Spectragod
06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
I have no info on that store, but have you checked Crutchfield out? I bought a dynamite TV through them last year at an outstanding price.

Crutchfield is straight up MSRP....

Id look at Walmart, they seem to have the same stuff but alot cheaper. Also, check walmart.com. They have lots more stuff there than in the stores.

While true to a degree, the electronics you buy in one of the high end stores is of different quality than the one in Kmart, WalMart etc. That said, I bought the 46" LED that's in my garage from Wally World, Sony, with the Blue Ray player for $950, at that time, that set, even at their own store was $1150, bottom line, you gotta shop around......

Blown3.8
06-09-2011, 09:34 AM
I bought a 65" rear projection mitsu from them in about 2001. Had problems with the tv seemed like everytime the superbowl was coming around. But they fixed it. The last time they put a drip tray under the lamps so it wouldn't fry the circuit board.

I still have the tv and havn't had any problems with it for the last 7-8 years. Knock on wood.

rayjay
06-09-2011, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=Spectragod;1055072]Crutchfield is straight up MSRP....QUOTE]

I could not find the Sharp Aquas I bought at a better price anywhere, plus free in home delivery in two days from VA to upstate NY. Guess I hit a good sale :dunno:

LeoVampire
06-09-2011, 10:43 AM
We started to go to Best Buy and get their in store brand Insignia wich is actually made by LG.

The price is great and so are the TV monitors and they cover them for 2 years fix or replace.

BLACKMARAUDER04
06-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I purchased ours at Costco. 90 day return policy and they extend the warranty to 2 years.

fastblackmerc
06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I bought a 65" rear projection mitsu from them in about 2001. Had problems with the tv seemed like everytime the superbowl was coming around. But they fixed it. The last time they put a drip tray under the lamps so it wouldn't fry the circuit board.

I still have the tv and havn't had any problems with it for the last 7-8 years. Knock on wood.

Interesting...

I got my Mitsubishi 73" DLP from Best Buy over 2 years ago and have never had a problem.

fastblackmerc
06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I was wondering if any CAM members had any experience with this chain.

http://www.thebigscreenstore.com/

I am looking to buy a couple of TVs to replace some older models in my house. I was thinking of heading to this particular store tonight to see what kind of deals they are offering since big ticket items are not exactly flying off the shelves these days. Thanks in advance. -Bob

Bob, do you know what type of TV(s) you need>

DLP
LED
LCD
Plasma

There are alot of buying guides out there.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/tv-buying-guide2.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/technology/personaltech/18basics.html

http://answers.ask.com/Computers/Hardware/what_kind_of_tv_should_i_buy

I went with a DLP because:

The distance from the seating area to the TV.

The lighting in the room.

DLP has no ghosting when watching fast moving sports.

Didn't want a wall mount.

The DLP was the cheapest price for the size.

Cheeseheadbob
06-09-2011, 01:26 PM
This is one of the units I am looking to buy.

SONY 55” 1080P 3D LCD WITH 3D DELUXE STARTER KIT!

$1,500*Plus Tax

Model No. KDL-55HX800

Full HD 1080p with 3D, Dynamic Edge LED backlight, Motionflow PRO 240Hz refresh rate, BRAVIA Engine™ 3, BRAVIA Internet Video, USB port, DLNA CertifiedŽ. Transform your entertainment and begin enjoying 3D on your compatible BRAVIAŽ 3D HDTV. This deluxe starter kit includes 3D active glasses, Alice in Wonderland 3D Blu-ray Disc™ and more.

I am volunteering at the US Open at Congressional and they are running a deal with Sony, who I am sure is a major sponsor. I would imagine a bunch of TVs are going to be used in various corporate tents and instead of the promotion company having to haul them back, they would rather sell them. I have read a bunch of good stuff about this particular model. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks. -Bob

Bob, do you know what type of TV(s) you need>

Blown3.8
06-09-2011, 06:54 PM
I got a 50" Mitsu DLP a couple years ago also and its fine too.

DEFYANT
06-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I like Sony. My 32" Trinitron (sp?) bought new in the early 90's is still going strong. One button on the set doesn't quite work right, but the remote covers it, so no big deal.

So many option to chose from. I like the open box deals. Same thing, only cheaper. Check out Amazon.