PDA

View Full Version : Heed Your Instincts & Save Your Life

sailsmen
06-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Last nite while driving home from a party we passed by a well known Italian Sweet Shop we used to frequent. There was a line out the door and a sheriff on detail.
I could not find a parking spot on the main blvd so I dropped the family off in front. I didn't like the way things looked so I kept driving in circles until there was a spot in front. I walked in and told the family we are leaving so lets get it to go.
They asked why and I told them I would tell them in the car. I told them I knew this area all my life and it did not look right, pointing out the gang signs painted on buildings that were occupied and well maintained.

Today I see in the news that 15 minutes after we left a man was murdered a few miles to the east of us at the same time another man was murdered a few miles to the west of us.

There is an excellent book that several have told me to read because they said much of the advice I was giving after Katrina/Rita was in it.
"Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker.
Bascially we have fear and instincts to keep us safe and ignoring them as being "civilized" puts us at risk.

Mr. Man
06-12-2011, 01:20 PM
It's that little voice in the back of your head that you never listen to when your young. As I get older I have found that listening to that little voice is usually a good thing.

sailsmen
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Too many today are telling too many to ignore your fear and your instincts.

Bluerauder
06-12-2011, 01:47 PM
As I get older I have found that listening to that little voice is usually a good thing.

That little voice is not in your head. She is standing behind you and we know who it is. ;)

mike P71
06-12-2011, 02:08 PM
That little voice has been my friend for many years. It has yet to give me bad advice. Cool story

Black_Noise
06-12-2011, 02:31 PM
you ever notice that when you get older, your always talking to friends about crazy stories of time you lived through when you didnt listen to that voice in the back of your head

CBT
06-12-2011, 06:30 PM
I don't trust anything or anybody. It would be nice to totally relax one day, but I just don't see it happening.

Mr. Man
06-12-2011, 06:45 PM
That little voice is not in your head. She is standing behind you and we know who it is. ;)
Sorry Charlie that little voice keeps telling me it isn't that high go ahead and jump:lol:

Kodimar
06-13-2011, 06:35 AM
I've notice situational awareness is becoming extinct. Good to see some people still have it.

Acknowledging that bad things can happen to you and avoiding situations that might get you in trouble will go a long way in keeping you out of alive.

It reminds me of the story about a guy and his family in an RV park. He woke up in the middle of the night to a horrible feeling he told his family they had to pack up and leave immediately. It turns out 2 or 3 people were randomly murdered that night in the RV park.

Spectragod
06-13-2011, 08:46 AM
The voices in my head....... that's what I take my meds for, to shut them up, now if only the Dog would quit telling me to do things....:lol:

Mr. Man
06-13-2011, 09:43 AM
The voices in my head....... that's what I take my meds for, to shut them up, now if only the Dog would quit telling me to do things....:lol:
That little voice told you not to buy a DTR didn't it.:P:D

Spectragod
06-13-2011, 06:17 PM
That little voice told you not to buy a DTR didn't it.:P:D

Nope, it told me to, and to stomp the sheet out of buttholes that make fun of it, just sayin'........ when we gonna go for titles? I need a new DD.:flamer:

Mr. Man
06-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Nope, she told me to, and to stomp the sheet out of buttholes that make fun of it, just sayin'........ when we gonna go for titles? I need a new DD.:flamer:
Someday we'll go for loser buys but right now your bringing a gun to a knife fight. I actually like the DTR's. Larry Durham(sp) brought his DTR to the NH meet and it is super clean and well taken care of. I didn't even know the DTR's paint had flake in it till I saw his.

Just bustin on you guys. Besides Doom started it, :hmmm:hmmmm he's got a bazooka he might run you for kicks.

Bring your DTR to MV9 this year and if the knock in my engine isn't terminal I'll consider a bracket race for beers later on.:beer:

Spectragod
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Someday we'll go for loser buys but right now your bringing a gun to a knife fight. I actually like the DTR's. Larry Durham(sp) brought his DTR to the NH meet and it is super clean and well taken care of. I didn't even know the DTR's paint had flake in it till I saw his.

Just bustin on you guys. Besides Doom started it, :hmmm:hmmmm he's got a bazooka he might run you for kicks.

Bring your DTR to MV9 this year and if the knock in my engine isn't terminal I'll consider a bracket race for beers later on.:beer:

My car's a pooch, it's a DTR, it does have a new tune-up though. I don't drink, I may run for $100 bills though. I don't need a car with a knocking engine.:D

So, you think Doom would want to run for titles?:confused: