PDA

View Full Version : Help with 96 Ford Explorer Radio Deck

Egon Spengler
06-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Hey guys. Like the title says. Am looking for a radio for a 96 ford explorer. It is for my mom. She has been driving around with a radio that works, but the bulb is burnt out to light up the display. Is there any way to fix this? If not, Am looking for one! If you have one, shoot me a price shipped via PM!

Thanks!

fastblackmerc
06-13-2011, 12:05 PM
You could replace bulbs in the older Ford radios. Need to take it out and pull off the faceplate to see if you can.

Egon Spengler
06-13-2011, 12:48 PM
You could replace bulbs in the older Ford radios. Need to take it out and pull off the faceplate to see if you can.
May have to give it a shot. It has low miles, but it is an old explorer in decent shape. My mom got it when my grandfather died. Would like to see if I can replace the bulb before I go and spend the money for another unit.

Thanks buddy!

fastblackmerc
06-13-2011, 01:00 PM
May have to give it a shot. It has low miles, but it is an old explorer in decent shape. My mom got it when my grandfather died. Would like to see if I can replace the bulb before I go and spend the money for another unit.

Thanks buddy!

If it's a really small bulb it's called a "wheat" bulb. Radio Shack should have them.

Egon Spengler
06-13-2011, 02:09 PM
If it's a really small bulb it's called a "wheat" bulb. Radio Shack should have them.
Are these the ones that involve soldering in to place? It is fine if it does. I am good at electrical stuff.

fastblackmerc
06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Are these the ones that involve soldering in to place? It is fine if it does. I am good at electrical stuff.

Maybe..............

RF Overlord
06-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Do you know what the display *should* look like? If it's individual alphanumerics in green or blue, then it's probably either a 7-segment LED display or a vacuum fluorescent display. No user serviceable parts inside. Depending on how much you like your Mom, this place (http://www.videoservicestop.com/radiorepairs/ford.htm) fixes everything and their prices are not unreasonable. They're in Weymouth.

TFB
06-13-2011, 02:45 PM
I believe RF is correct, AFAIK none of the 1.5 DIN(size in the Marauders) have a replaceable dial lamp... Seems I remember hearing the earlier radios have a display problem, may want to Google it...

Egon Spengler
06-14-2011, 05:54 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like I will be searching some junk yards.

I appreciate the help!

If anyone has one kicking around, please shoot me a PM with price shipped.