PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Ford Taurus Police Interceptor shows its face

ctrlraven
06-13-2011, 03:39 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/11/2013-ford-taurus-police-interceptor-shows-its-face/

More links on the pic above ^
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/05/interceptor-lead.jpg

It looks as if the recent update to the 2013 Ford Taurus will translate to the company's new Police Interceptor. Our elite squad of spy photographers have managed to capture a few images of a revamped Interceptor during transport, and while several mules have been spotted with heavy front-end camouflage, this particular car has dropped its gown for the whole world to see. Along with a more aggressive front fascia, the vehicle wears a larger grille than its civilian counterparts to accommodate additional lighting, and perhaps enable better breathing.

Speaking of lighting, Ford looks to have reworked the vehicle's taillights to accept emergency strobes as well. Take this as an official warning – if you see this guy stalking you through traffic, it's probably already too late. Just go ahead and pull on over.

It's unclear exactly what performance modifications will accompany the aesthetic alterations. Still, given that the 2013 Taurus is now available with 290 horsepower from the base 3.5-liter V6 as well as a fuel-efficient 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder and the mighty EcoBoost V6 with 365 ponies, law enforcement will likely have plenty of options to chose from.

slickster
06-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Hope they don't go with the ecoboost v6 cause then I'll have to be supercharged

Bluerauder
06-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Are those strobe flashers on the sides of the grill front?

I like the Taurus overall; but would like to see it with some Maryland State Police, Virginia State Police, or local county markings like Prince William or Fairfax on it to get a better impression. Personally, I think MD State and Fairfax County markings are great looking. VA and PWC a little less so.

Ms. Denmark
06-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I had more room in the Fusion. If the Taurus is a police specific car it might work but if it's a revamped civilian model with beefier components it will drive cops nuts with the small buttons and knobs as well as the cramped and uncomfortable seating position especially if you are a tall officer who likes to Code-6 at DD:rolleyes:

Posted by Mr. Man

Bluerauder
06-13-2011, 04:40 PM
I had more room in the Fusion. If the Taurus is a police specific car it might work but if it's a revamped civilian model with beefier components it will drive cops nuts with the small buttons and knobs as well as the cramped and uncomfortable seating position especially if you are a tall officer who likes to Code-6 at DD:rolleyes:

Posted by Mr. Man

I checked out a Taurus SHO not long ago and had no problem with space. I didn't feel cramped at all. Had plenty of headroom, too. Maybe the 6'3" and 6'4" plus guys will notice a difference.

My main problem with the Taurus was all around visibility. The view to the rear sucks (in the venacular). View to the rear sides (i.e. blind spots) are also pretty bad. We've been spoiled by the great visibility out of the Marauder driver seat. The Crown Vic offers a similar if not identical view.

The Taurus dash did seem a bit busy; but finding stuff should be just a case of getting use to the layout. Oughta be fine in a week or less. I don't see this as a major problem.

Police cars should give a look of authority IMHO. The Dodge Charger does this well. Crown Vic was better. I think the Taurus will present a better authority image than the Impala. Still would like to see it with decals and markings before giving my final opinion on the finished product.

BTW -- using someone else's log in and password to post without explicit, written permission is an MM.Net violation subject to a 3-day suspension. I'm tellllllllinnnnnnnnnnnnnnn !!! ;)

4play
06-13-2011, 05:37 PM
I think the New Taurus will surprise us. Ford has seem to hit the nail on the head with the New SHO.

Spectragod
06-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I checked out a Taurus SHO not long ago and had no problem with space. I didn't feel cramped at all. Had plenty of headroom, too. Maybe the 6'3" and 6'4" plus guys will notice a difference.

Till the partition is installed between the front and rear seats, lets hope it's not a repeat of some other aftermarket equipment and remove 6-8 inches of seat travel for the front seat.

Bluerauder
06-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Till the partition is installed between the front and rear seats, lets hope it's not a repeat of some other aftermarket equipment and remove 6-8 inches of seat travel for the front seat.

Why don't they take the space from the rear seat passenger? It'll just be training for getting along in small spaces. ;)

Spectragod
06-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Why don't they take the space from the rear seat passenger? It'll just be training for getting along in small spaces. ;)

They should, who cares if the ride in the back is comfortable, honestly, I say put all the gear in the back seat, the mopes can ride in the trunk.:D

DEFYANT
06-13-2011, 06:26 PM

I like the Taurus overall; but would like to see it with some Maryland State Police, Virginia State Police, or local county markings like Prince William or Fairfax on it to get a better impression. Personally, I think MD State and Fairfax County markings are great looking. VA and PWC a little less so.

Word is, MSP is going with all black Tahoes. Chevy is offering deep cuts to get the biz. MSP is dropping the green from the cars to save money.

Bluerauder
06-13-2011, 06:32 PM
MSP is dropping the green from the cars to save money.

Green costs more than black?? I guess 2-tone does. Damn shame too. Maryland State Police have one of the best looking cruisers around IMHO. My son George did some custom 1:18 scale models for them back before his hobby turned into a mini-business and it lost its "fun" factor.

SpartaPerformance
06-13-2011, 06:46 PM
I've seen the specs on the police interceptor and it is different the the civi model. The rear doors have different hinges so they open wider to throw in the perps, the center console is also different to accommodate all the cool cop toys. The city cruisers will be regular 3.5L 265HP and Highway units will be Ecoboost.

Bluerauder
06-13-2011, 06:58 PM
I've seen the specs on the police interceptor and it is different the the civi model. The rear doors have different hinges so they open wider to throw in the perps, the center console is also different to accommodate all the cool cop toys. The city cruisers will be regular 3.5L 265HP and Highway units will be Ecoboost.

Man, I ain't interested in door hinges. ;) I wanna know what color to look for when I head north. :o

Mr. Man
06-13-2011, 07:17 PM
I agree Charlie the visibility is a joke in the Taurus.

I found the buttons and knobs so close together and small if you were wearing gloves you'd hit two buttons at once.

As far as room goes your just a wee thing. Put on a vest and 30lbs of middle age and you'd be wishing the Crown Vic were still in production.

Motor isn't so much an issue. As they saying goes 'You can't out run the radio':lol:

wht02lightning
06-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Word is, MSP is going with all black Tahoes. Chevy is offering deep cuts to get the biz. MSP is dropping the green from the cars to save money.

From this pic at the STAP its looking like much like me my state is fighting the end of the panther platform too. These baby's look much better than some crappy tahoe
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/saiga20_bama/000_0009.jpg

Bluerauder
06-13-2011, 07:27 PM
From this pic at the STAP its looking like much like me my state is fighting the end of the panther platform too. These baby's look much better than some crappy tahoe

+ 1,000 and after they add the flag, shield and lettering, they are definitely one sharp looking car. Unless its in the rearview mirror. :o

Sure hope that they don't REPAINT them all black to save money .... but who knows what O'Malley will do. ;)

ctrlraven
06-13-2011, 08:19 PM
http://www.phildorsett.com/images/chargers/statetroopercharger2.jpg

cpe6
06-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Only the SHO is ecoboost, the regular Taurus isnt.

MOTOWN
06-14-2011, 12:01 AM
personaly i would rather use the charger over a taurus ,just seems a little whimpy, and isnt the taurus front wheel drive?

wht02lightning
06-14-2011, 12:07 AM
personaly i would rather use the charger over a taurus ,just seems a little whimpy, and isnt the taurus front wheel drive?
sadly yes, the police interceptor will have option 4 wheel drive. I just really dont see a large police force wanting to do maintmance work on a 4wd twin turbo 6 cylinder. Chevy did this same thing with dropping the caprice and handing the police market to ford hands down. Now it seems fords offering it back up on a silver platter

RF Overlord
06-14-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm not fond of that big gaping "mouth" of a grille in the Taurus in the pic, but it's not as fugly as many cars on the road, I guess.

I just can't see any small or medium police department wanting to dick around with an uber-complicated wildly-expensive-to-fix twin turbo DOHC all-wheel drive car for regular patrol use. The Caprice 9C1 has a pretty conventional 6L V8 and RWD (FTW!) which have GOT to be less expensive to maintain.

In this case, Taurus = FAIL

SpartaPerformance
06-14-2011, 05:13 PM

You might cops don't, being Dodge and there flimsy metal their rear subframes crack.... my P.D. guy has welded enough of them.

F8LBITEva
06-14-2011, 05:55 PM
that Taurus looks tough!

rayjay
06-14-2011, 06:11 PM

Yep, my former agency just bought Tahoes. The only car in the fleet is the Chief's Charger, all else are SUVs now. Actually makes sense here with the winters we have and no plows on the roads after 22:00 hrs. FWIW, the Wimpies only made 75k before they were not worth fixing any longer. FWD just does not hold up, along with some other major flaws on that particular car. Other than the drivers seat, I liked my last unit which was a new Durango. Faster and handled better than you would think. NO and I mean NO, 0, nada, foot/leg room in that truck after the cage was installed.

IMHO, Chargers are junk. Poor visibility looking out, ride is like a lumber wagon and next to worthless in snow. I used to get the bosses Charger if my unit was down for repair and I used it while we were wiating for my new one. I don't know about the Taurus AWD, but we had no problems with our AWD SUVs. The Trooper's Tahoes were RWD only and not real good in snow. Quite often they used Crown Vics if it was nasty out. Dodge would not even sell us a civilian AWD Charger, flat out told us the AWD would not hold up to severe use and they would not warranty it if we bought one.

stryker
06-14-2011, 07:34 PM
:mad: I HATE THAT CRAP CAR MORE THAN EVER AND THE FORDS CHAIRMAN TOO. :mad:

tbone
06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
http://policecarwebsite.net/fc/copcarsite/fordold112a.jpg (http://policecarwebsite.net/fc/copcarsite/fordold112.jpg)http://policecarwebsite.net/fc/copcarsite/fordold117a.jpg (http://policecarwebsite.net/fc/copcarsite/fordold117.jpg)Why does the pic of the Fairmont keep disappearing? :(

I was embarrassed when these cruised the American streets.
They should have called them the Ford Turdfart.

Mr. Man
06-15-2011, 11:44 AM
I think this start-up company might have a chance in this market. Any of your dept's thinking about this car?

http://www.carbonmotors.com/

TFB
06-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Only the SHO is ecoboost, the regular Taurus isnt.

But the interceptor model isn't either and can be had with or without the e-boost engine...

The whole ecoboost deal mostly pisses me off, just a greenie name for turbocharger...

bosscj72
06-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I just thought I would let you all know the following:

1. There are 2011 Mercury Grand Marquis. Just rented one 2 weeks ago from Dollar Rental Car in Atlanta, GA! The Panther's last stand!

2. I also have had multiple Crown Vics all being 2011 Models. They all have leather seats, the 17 inch sport wheels from 2003-2007 too! The Michelin tires do handle pretty well and it was nice to see Dollar still wants some dependable cars with a real trunk!

3. One last point, what will be the new limos? Chinese Owned Hummers?!!!! YUCK!!! I spoke with a women who was an engineer at Ford and she said we all should write about our disappointment of not having a full size rear wheel drive car any longer. She claimed they do read all the letters and people like us who are very found of the Panther platform might be able to get them to bring one back in an improved version. Heck I am sure Australia has something cool we can enjoy!!!

Dave

TFB
06-15-2011, 05:59 PM
x2 on the '11 Grand Marquis, I rented one in Las Vegas last Sept, had 850 miles showing when I picked it up... Consec on the VIN was 600650 so was the 650th serialized, build was Aug '10, she was fresh...

MOTOWN
06-16-2011, 12:11 AM
You might cops don't, being Dodge and there flimsy metal their rear subframes crack.... my P.D. guy has welded enough of them.

Oh realy???? cops dont you say? ive only been on the job 12 years bud! niether would be my first choice, but i would take the charger any day over the front wheel drive Taurus

and im well aware of the problems the charger brings to the table, i only work for one of the largest pd in the country;)

Vortex
06-16-2011, 02:50 AM
New Taurus Interceptor - I agree this has fail written all over it because of the complicated driveline. Also I read someplace that chassis, basically the same as the Volvo 60/80/500/Montego/Taurus/Sable, isnt supposed to be around too long because Ford wants to have all their cars internationalized.

New Chevy Caprice Police Car - Nice car but what happens when you bend one up? You wait for parts to be shipped from Australia? Also no column shift, shifter lever is in console and that takes up all sorts of room for radio/computer ect.

Charger - Have to say our police chief likes them alot, they just bought more of them.

Bottom line - Ford just gave away the police car business to Chrysler.

burt ragio
06-16-2011, 04:26 AM

No problem just put the trash in the trunk.

babbage
06-16-2011, 05:39 AM
Ok so the new Ford F150 comes with the ecoboost 3.5 365HP motor. So why not just put it in the crown vic? Hmm. Look for totalled F150, swap engine trans, ecu into CV.

Maryland are idiots to go with all Tahoes. 10 MPG vs what like 25. They do realize they'll have to put gas in them right?

N40GL
06-16-2011, 07:42 AM
... As they saying goes 'You can't out run the radio'

Wanna bet?!? Especially in town, I can make more turns faster than you can call in and report 'em. Your backup'll be clueless about where you are.
:burnout:
(I've had too many perps do that to me - when they make more than three consecutive "first opportunity" turns, if I really want 'em I'll try to throw up a perimeter and just wait, or slowly tighten the noose. Usually doesn't work, since so few units are available to form the 'box.' And the 'too many turns' strategy never works in rural areas, since there aren't that many opportunities.)

MOTOWN
06-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Wanna bet?!? Especially in town, I can make more turns faster than you can call in and report 'em. Your backup'll be clueless about where you are.
(I've had too many perps do that to me - when they make more than three consecutive "first opportunity" turns, if I really want 'em I'll try to throw up a perimeter and just wait, or slowly tighten the noose. Usually doesn't work, since so few units are available to form the 'box.' And the 'too many turns' strategy never works in rural areas, since there aren't that many opportunities.)

ive never had a pursuit that didnt involve a million and one turns, but then again we ride two deep, one pursues while the jump man (passenger) calls out the chase ive never had one get away unless the chase was terminated, which happens from time to time depending on vehicle, and pedestrian traffic
i could imagine a taurus falling apart during a chase like the fwd impalas did!:mad2:

Mr. Man
06-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Mark you need to come up North of the Mason-Dixon and learn Yankee police pursuit. Works everytime:P:D:cool:

N40GL
06-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Two deep - - those were the days. Of available funding.

Now it's:

Me: "340 Adam, prepare to copy failure to yield."
Dispatch: "340Adam"
Me: "340Adam, failure to yield, white 1860 Amish carriage, occupied three times, Route 9 westbound at Route 690"
D: "340Adam, direct" (Out here, 'direct' means 'okay' or '10-4' or the equivalent)
Me: "340Adam, prepare to copy pursuit"
D: "All units, switch to Sterling. Dulles Channel is being held."
Watch Commander chimes in: "Adam watch direct"
D: "Direct"
Me: "340Adam, horse is galloping, still westbound Route 9, crossing Route 719"
D: "340Adam, westbound Route 9 crossing Route 719"
Me: "Direct"
D: "All units, 340Adam is in pursuit, white 1890 Amish carriage, occupied three times, westbound Route 9 crossing Route 719, failure to yield only at this time"
D: "340Adam, status?"
Me: "340Adam, still westbound Route 9, crossing Manor View, failure to yield only at this time"

et cetera, et cetera.

... and you can just tell by this speedy conversation that my violator has any of a number of opportunities to make turns and twists while dispatch is otherwise preventing me from talking and telling her/him about it. Or I have to follow radio protocol and talk about a whole bunch of useless stuff before I get to direction of travel and location.

So, yes, you CAN outrun the radio.

I miss the good old days in Los Angeles, when it went something like this:

Me: "One Lincoln Twelve, in Pursuit"
D: "1-L-12, go ahead"
Me: "1-L-12, in pursuit of a white 2008 Lambourghini 2-door, westbound Wilshire at Hope"
D: "1-L-12, 10-4"
W/C: "All units standby, 1-L-12 is in pursuit"
Me: "1-L-12, request available air unit, tac 2"
Air Unit: "1-L-12, go ahead, Air 40 is over your pursuit"
Me: "Air 40, take over pursuit"
A/U: "roger ..."
And I dial back to Code 2 and wait for the violator to come to roost somewhere.

MOTOWN
06-16-2011, 09:15 AM
just reading about a good pursuit gets the blood flowing like a kid in the candy store!

Mr. Man
06-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Two deep - - those were the days. Now I hate cruising the Amish side of town.
Now it's:

Me: "340 Adam, prepare to copy failure to yield."
Dispatch: "340Adam"
Me: "340Adam, failure to yield, white 1860 Amish carriage, occupied three times, Route 9 westbound at Route 690"
D: "340Adam, direct" (Out here, 'direct' means 'okay' or '10-4' or the equivalent)
Me: "340Adam, prepare to copy pursuit"
D: "All units, switch to Sterling. Dulles Channel is being held."
Watch Commander chimes in: "340 Adam watch direct" "Put your coffee in the cup older and donut in the passenger seat while in pursuit"
D: "Direct"
Me: "340Adam, horse is galloping, beginning to lose visual, still westbound Route 9, crossing Route 719"
D: "340Adam, westbound Route 9 crossing Route 719"
Me: "Dirrrrectttt":censor::censor: Damn jelly is going to be a B**ch to get out.
D: "All units, 340Adam is in pursuit, white 1890 Amish carriage, occupied three times, westbound Route 9 crossing Route 719, failure to yield only at this time"
D: "340Adam, status?"
Me: "340Adam, Uhhh Request 10-37"...... long pause.........I'm 10-7", "Copy, lost visual due to hot coffee in lap and raspberry jelly stain on shirt, lost pursuit with suspect."340 Adam is 11-82 and request 11-99 for crotch burns "

et cetera, et cetera.

... and you can just tell by this speedy conversation that my violator has any of a number of opportunities to make turns and twists while dispatch is otherwise preventing me from talking and telling her/him about it. Or I have to follow radio protocol and talk about a whole bunch of useless stuff before I get to direction of travel and location. Blah,Blah,Blah Bicycle cop-"I would have caught him but he had a car":shake:

So, yes, you CAN outrun a Dodge Diplomat. Twisty roads are a police officers worst enemy, crappy handling cars and my coffee is always sloshing around making it hard to drink and steer at he same time.

I miss the good old days in Los Angeles, when it went something like this:

Me: "One Lincoln Twelve, in ahhh Pursuit?:confused:"
D: "1-L-12, go ahead"
Me: "1-L-12, in pursuit of a white 2008 Lamborghini 2-door, westbound Wilshire at Hope. Speeds exceeding my Diplomats top end"
D: "1-L-12, 10-4"
W/C: "All units standby, 1-L-12 is losing his pursuit":mad2:
Me: "1-L-12, request available air unit, tac 2"
Air Unit: "1-L-12, go ahead, Air 40 is over your pursuit":bows:
Me: "Air 40, "10-6"....I pull off to the shoulder "Air 40 Please take over pursuit. I'm going 10-10 for an underwear change":censor:
A/U: "roger ... raucous laughter coming from Air 40.:rofl:"
And I dial back to Code 10 but I know the violator will come to roost somewhere and be arrested by my fellow LAPD officers. Thank God for air support or we would never catch anybody driving anything faster than a VW Beetle (old version)

Fixed it for you Mark:D:P

JoeBoomz
06-16-2011, 03:50 PM

:lol: Those are some terrific modifications.

MyTMerc
06-16-2011, 03:56 PM

I like the Taurus overall; but would like to see it with some Maryland State Police, Virginia State Police, or local county markings like Prince William or Fairfax on it to get a better impression. .
As long as I don't see them in my rear view mirror lit up:eek:

rayjay
06-16-2011, 05:54 PM
just reading about a good pursuit gets the blood flowing like a kid in the candy store!

youngen, you'll learn....

Bluerauder
06-16-2011, 06:09 PM
As long as I don't see them in my rear view mirror lit up:eek:

Agreed. +1. Its kinda embarrassing when they pull up next to you in an unmarked car and put the Smokey Hat on. :o Of course, that only happened once about 37-38 years ago. I suspected that it was an unmarked car. The hat confirmed it. :D

N40GL
06-16-2011, 07:54 PM

Gee, you mean I don't get no crullers anymore? Or lattes?

There ought to be a law!

(A Dodge Diplomat was the only car I ever drove where I nailed a bird in flight. Dumb bird was sitting in the road as I crested the hill. Bird looked at the car, took off and forgot to, er, 'Dodge.')

Mr. Man
06-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Gee, you mean I don't get no crullers anymore? Or lattes?

There ought to be a law!

(A Dodge Diplomat was the only car I ever drove where I nailed a bird in flight. Dumb bird was sitting in the road as I crested the hill. Bird looked at the car, took off and forgot to, er, 'Dodge.')
Crullers and lattes...I thought you were LAPD not Beverly Hills local;)

stryker
06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Shows it's face ? what a ugly face and the body disgusting and fat,depriment and horrible, I hate it, I prefeer to ride a camel before to get in in one of those crap, garbage new intergarbageceptor. ! I HATE ! :censor: :mad: :mad2: :bs:

stryker
06-22-2011, 11:29 AM
I think if we can unite and demand Ford/Lincoln and force them to bring back again not only the Crownvictoria/Police Interceptor but the Mercury Grand marquis and Marauder too.

Bluerauder
10-21-2012, 05:05 AM
Saw this at Carlisle this year .....

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/2012_Carlisle0002.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Taurus_Police0004.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Taurus_Police0003.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Taurus_Police0002.JPG

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Taurus_Police0001.JPG

Pat
10-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Our local forces, city and Parish are transitioning to Tahoe's.

Joe Walsh
10-21-2012, 07:48 AM

Wait until there is a rash of MSP SUVs flipping over.....they'll rethink that idea!.....:rolleyes:

breeze
10-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Bowie has one.

88LTDCV351
10-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I think this start-up company might have a chance in this market. Any of your dept's thinking about this car?

http://www.carbonmotors.com/

They were recently denied a federal loan. They said they would perserve with private funding but I think they won't be around much longer.

Roadwarrior
10-22-2012, 06:07 AM
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq337/saiga20_bama/000_0009.jpg

I wonder if these were the last batch of CVPI's Ford manufactured before ending production or a police car refurbishment company delivered a fleet of reconditioned CVPI's here.:thinker:

Vortech347
10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
I love them. The technology behind the cars is awesome.

When I'm finished up with my Merc in a few more years I'll likely be picking up an SHO.

I will insanely miss the V8 sound of our cars though.

mikeymartin1979
10-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Being a cop would have its advantages. Fun job for leadfoots I'm sure.

71cyclone
10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
The District of Columbia has Taurus's in Service [marked] right now

MOTOWN
10-22-2012, 10:17 PM
These front wheel drive go carts are a big reason so many departments across the country are transitioning to the Tahoes!

These FWD cars may hold up in Mayberry, but they will never last in a big city setting like Detroit, Chicago, or Newyork!