PDA

View Full Version : Gun Q: what happened to AMT?

the fat bastid
01-06-2004, 10:51 AM
is amt still in bussiness?
i hear they sold all thier rights to IAI but then bought them back but then went under then merged with someone, yadda yadda yadda, i want some hardballers. i cant find a web address for them or any info.

what the dillie-o?

Ross
01-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Hey, Bastid, I have a Hardballer mounted on a holster on the driver's side of the console. It sits right by my right knee and I can get to it quickly. I have a small towel in the same color as the console which I use to cover it with so that it stays concealed. I have only seen AMT's at gun shows and used gun shops for several years. I bought mine at a gun show. Maybe someone knows more about this. I would love to hear that they are still in business. They are low cost, no nonsense defense weapons. Have you checked any of the online gun sales websites?

Ross
01-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Some places to try

www.ebang.com

http://e-gun.net

http://gunlist.biz

www.gunsforsale.com

www.gunsamerica.com

SergntMac
01-06-2004, 12:01 PM
I thought they went back to producing model car kits...

Alan
01-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Ross,

Great mounting idea! Are you using a kydex or leather holster? Is it sturdy?

Originally posted by Ross
Hey, Bastid, I have a Hardballer mounted on a holster on the driver's side of the console. It sits right by my right knee and I can get to it quickly. I have a small towel in the same color as the console which I use to cover it with so that it stays concealed. I have only seen AMT's at gun shows and used gun shops for several years. I bought mine at a gun show. Maybe someone knows more about this. I would love to hear that they are still in business. They are low cost, no nonsense defense weapons. Have you checked any of the online gun sales websites?

MI2QWK4U
01-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Thank goodness I bought a 300A that had the map pockets in the front of the seats! It is the perfect place to hold your helper. It is soft and very easy to get to if you need it and holds a good sized handgun snugly. Just a thought. Out of luck if you have the decontented 300B model though.

Bigdogjim
01-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
I thought they went back to producing model car kits...

Excatly what I thought. I was expecting to see a Marauder kit:)

Lowell
01-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Your helper! Hell I thought it was a place for my Ray-Bans.

Marauderjack
01-06-2004, 04:48 PM
I was a gun dealer for many years and I've got to say AMT made some of the finest "single shot" autos ever!!!!! :(

I WOULD NOT EVER CONSIDER A "HARDBALLER" or any of the AMT "crap" for self defense!!!!:mad2:

My $.02.....FWIW!!!;)

Marauderjack:cool:

SergntMac
01-06-2004, 06:57 PM
LOL...OMG, what this train of thought dregs up!

Licensed dealer myself, expired now, and mostly from no joy.

AMT = "one shot."

Yeah, that's accurate. AMTs were one shot wrecks. My smithy lost a head of hair over AMTs, they should have stayed in model car business where (sing along with me now) "everything is beautiful..."

When it's YOUR life in the balance, hold a Colt.

If you routinely hold other's lives in your hand, get a grip on the double brothers, Smith and Wesson.

'Rest of that stuff is junk 'cause there's no replacing skill with features. Tap, double tap, do what you gotta do. When it's time to put the man down, put him down, TCB.

Ummm...nevermind.

Haggis
01-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Easy Mac, it's ok all the bad men have gone away now it was just a bad dream. Put your head down and go back to sleep everthing will be ok. Your Guardian Angel will look out for you.

SergntMac
01-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Haggis
Easy Mac, it's ok all the bad men have gone away now it was just a bad dream. Put your head down and go back to sleep everthing will be ok. Your Guardian Angel will look out for you.

Been there done that have you?

K...I'm cool. Safe again, knowing you have the watch.

the fat bastid
01-06-2004, 07:54 PM
woah woah, slow down there. I don't want to blow anyone away or even use it for home defense. i just wanted a 7" longslide 1911 and the only one i could find was the longslide version of the hardballer.

Haggis
01-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by the fat bastid
woah woah, slow down there. I don't want to blow anyone away or even use it for home defense. i just wanted a 7" longslide 1911 and the only one i could find was the longslide version of the hardballer.

Well if you want to blow someone away how about a 12ga double barrel shotgun or how about a 1870 rollingblock rifle in .43cal with a 19" barrel or a .41 cal Remington Derringer Type II or how about a Springfield 1873 model Trapdoor to reach out and touch somebody.

MI2QWK4U
01-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Uhhhhh.......

BillyGman
01-06-2004, 11:30 PM
this thread is kinda moving all over the place so here's my thoughts...........Like MAC, I too like Colts and Smith & Wessons. I happen to have a 10mm Colt Delta Elite, and a S&W 44mag snub nose. They both packa nice punch and provide me w/a challenge when I take them target shooting at the range. For only having a 2.5" long barrell, the S&W 44 mag wheel gun is very accurate. It's from a special run from their Custom shop, and it's a very well made gun. I also have a Taurus 41mag revolver, but Taurus makes cheap revolvers, and they don't compare to a Colt or a S&W revolver.

SergntMac
01-07-2004, 05:39 AM
Thanks, Billy, that's all I was saying. Can't beat their quality, and features do not produce skill.

jfclancy
01-08-2004, 01:32 PM
well I was thinking of a Magnum research in .450 Marlin and a
Marlin lever rifle same caliber. That way if I miss the driver have chance on stopping the Car. Really like my Mossberg 12 G 590.

Joe Clancy

Petrograde
01-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Hey Ross,... how 'bout posting a pic of your rig?

Tom

MMdriver03
01-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Any opinons on a Sig Arms W-2 (45 cal.) for concealed self defence:help:

Marauderjack
01-09-2004, 03:20 AM
SIG IS TOO BIG!!:(

Where are you gonna conceal it??:confused:

Check out Kel-Tec...They have a very small 11 shot 9MM......It is their P-11 model.....I have two of them and that would be my "concealed" weapon of choice!!;)

Marauderjack:D

www.kel-tec.com

Ross
01-09-2004, 09:17 AM
As usual, gun related posts draw a wealth of spirited responses! I would certainly never carry ANY gun for defensive purposes if I hadn't fired it numerous times on the range, and knew that it was trustworthy. I believe strongly in the 1911 as a combat weapon, and I own and carry them in AMT, Llama, Colt, and Mitchell. Frankly, out of the box, the two Mitchells I own were the best 1911's I have ever shot, and some of the cheapest. Too bad they went out of business. Right now I am wearing on my hip (yes, in my law office)a Colt Combat Commander which I purchased in 1975 and carried every day for 13 months in Korea. I will try to post a pic of my car rig, but first I will have to get around to figuring out how to download from my camera to my computer. I'm not too technologically advanced...:alone:

Alan
01-09-2004, 09:52 AM
I carry a full sized 1911 off duty. Sometimes I wear it concealed and sometimes I don't(I'm LEO). I'm a small guy and can hide it very well. Not many handguns are too big to hide. I've carried all KINDS of full sized weapons concealed and have never printed. It's all in how you dress and what type of holster you use. No one should have to compromise on a concealed carry piece just because they "think" it's too big.

Now....if you're trying to hide a Magnum Research Desert Eagle in .50AE...that's a different story. :)

Originally posted by Marauderjack

Check out Kel-Tec...They have a very small 11 shot 9MM......It is their P-11 model.....I have two of them and that would be my "concealed" weapon of choice!!;)

www.kel-tec.com

Ross
01-09-2004, 10:10 AM
I agree with Alan on the concealment issue. I have had to rethink how I dress, what size sport/suit coats I buy since I started carrying every day. But with the right equipment, and a little care, a full sized gun can be concealed. I'm 5'5", and weigh about 160 (allright, i should weigh about 150), and as small as I am, I can carry a full sized 1911 concealed. If you are in the Houston area and are looking for good concealment holsters, check out Brian Hoffner, a SWAT and weapons instructor for HPD who makes his own line of quality stuff. I have carried one of his concealment holsters every day for a couple of years and it is affordable and high quality. I'll see if he has a link to post. If not, I'll get a phone number later.

Alan
01-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Ross,

Don't mean to step on your toes here, but I found his site: http://www.hoffners.com

Ross
01-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Alan, didn't know the site was up. Brian Hoffner is a good guy and he makes real world carry gear.

Alan
01-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Have you checked out Tucker Gunleather?
Take a look when you have time:
http://www.tuckergunleather.com
He's a local guy and does EXCELLENT leather work.

Originally posted by Ross
Thanks, Alan, didn't know the site was up. Brian Hoffner is a good guy and he makes real world carry gear.

Mad1
01-09-2004, 01:22 PM
When you absolutely have to put a big hole in someone … you’ll only need to look at Barretts 50 cal. Rifles (http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles.html)

Try this little baby out …

Model 99-1
This variant of the Model 99 is 4 lbs lighter than the standard Model 99 due to its shorter, fluted barrel. The Model 99-1 is ideal for civilian sporting use.
(If the deer you hunt have 2-inch armor plating.)

Ross
01-09-2004, 01:40 PM
I think you could hunt 5 elephants placed side to side with one round from that thing! BillyGMan, are you listening?

Alan
01-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Let's see...if I'm not mistaken...I could SWEAR that my holster for my 99-1 is laying around here somewhere....
:D

Originally posted by Mad1
When you absolutely have to put a big hole in someone … you’ll only need to look at Barretts 50 cal. Rifles (http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles.html)

Try this little baby out …

Model 99-1
This variant of the Model 99 is 4 lbs lighter than the standard Model 99 due to its shorter, fluted barrel. The Model 99-1 is ideal for civilian sporting use.
(If the deer you hunt have 2-inch armor plating.)

BillyGman
01-09-2004, 11:43 PM
I happen to own two 50BMG caliber rifles, and yes, one of them is the Barret 99, and it's a whole lot of fun to shoot. Every time I go to shoot it at the public range, the other shooters stand up and take notice. And I usually get a couple of them walk over to ask me questions about it. usually when that happpens, I let atleast one of them shoot it. If you have "magnumitis" like I do, you should get one of these rifles if you have a few thousand to play with, cuz they're a "blast" to shoot!!!!!!

And even though they're hard kicking rifles, it isn't a painful experience to shoot them because of the fantastic muzzle brakes they have on them, as well as the massive weight they carry.;)

The standard model 99 that I have is better for target shooting since the barrel is 33" long while the 99-1 model has a 29" barrel.

BTW, as far as the pistol and revolver holsters go, I have a tough time because I'm left handed, and there is much less of a selection of holsters out there for us south paws.

BillyGman
01-10-2004, 12:02 AM
of my gun........

Alan
01-10-2004, 10:35 AM
BillyGman,

Nice! You have the bolt-action single shot version? Those aren't priced too high.

There is a range in Houston that will allow you to shoot the 50BMG, but you have to qualify with it by putting several shots on a target at 600 yards before they will let you shoot it regularly. A friend of a friend of mine has one. He has the semi-auto version. It used to belong to Lou Ferigno (sp?)...you know, the Incredible Hulk guy. He bought it from Lou several years ago. The only thing about that rifle is that it normally costs $3-$5 dollars each time you pull the trigger. Ammo is not cheap for that thing.

UncleLar
01-10-2004, 01:27 PM
From past personal experience I like the Para Ordnance P-14 and the Kimber Compact Custom.
However due to the Draconian statutes here in Daleygrad,(formerly known as Chicago),legal ownership of these handguns, or any others not registered prior to 1982 and continuously since,is not possible.
As far as concealed carry goes in Il. if you're not a P.O. you're looking at a felony charge.
Being as I'm severely limited in my options as many rifles and shotguns are also un-registerable here also I'll rely on my mint matching numbers old reliable genuine 1925 Winchester Model 1897 riot gun if the need for defense arises.
Sarge,my registration renewal went out in the mail a week or 2 ago.
I hope none of us is ever in a situation where we'd have to use a firearm to stop a bad guy(s).

MM03MOK
01-10-2004, 01:29 PM
UncleLar - long time, no hear! Welcome back! Happy New Year!

MMdriver03
01-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Marauderjack

www.kel-tec.com MY mistake!! It is not a sig. , It is a Mauser M-2 compact 45 cal. 8 shot sold by sig.... I am also interested in a new glock 6 shot 45 cal. (model #36 i think) I'll check colts also.....I hope to trade in a Taurus 9mm(fullsize)

Alan
01-10-2004, 03:43 PM
MMdriver03,

If you like the G36, by all means, go that route...but don't think you have to compromise on size. You can easily hide a full-sized firearm on your person without anyone ever knowing it.
Email me or PM me if you want to discuss it privately.
Please feel free to email me whenever you wish. I know Ross would be another great contact here. I'm quite sure he won't mind providing some insight.

Originally posted by MMdriver03
MY mistake!! It is not a sig. , It is a Mauser M-2 compact 45 cal. 8 shot sold by sig.... I am also interested in a new glock 6 shot 45 cal. (model #36 i think) I'll check colts also.....I hope to trade in a Taurus 9mm(fullsize)

BillyGman
01-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Alan
BillyGman,

Nice! You have the bolt-action single shot version? Those aren't priced too high.

Alan, yes it's the single shot version Barret rifle that I have. It is about $1400 ceaper in price than the semi-auto Barret rifle is, but since it's still $3100 it isn't exactly inexpensive.I'd love to shoot the semi-auto version some day, however the single shot bolt action Barret that I have is more accurate for target shooting.

You can find the military surplus ammo on the internet for $1.30-$1.50 per round, but it isn't as accurate as the match grade stuff which is like you said($3-$5 per round). The thing to do is reload since you can make ammo that is more accurate, for only about $1.50 per round if you use match grade bullets.

I shoot the rifle at 200yds because that's the distance that's available in my homestate. I'd love to try at 600 yds, but personally I think it's rediculous for any public range to make a customer "qualify" before they'll allow you to shoot there. My assumption is that they do NOT demand that the shooters of lesser calibers "qualify" before they'll allow them to shoot there, so why should they discriminate against us 50BMG caliber shooters? They might as well come right out and tell you that they do NOT welcome 50 caliber shooters there at all.

I'm not saying that there aren't 50 cal shooters who can't hit their target consistently at 600yds, but that's not a majority who can do that consistently on a daily basis. I mean, what if it's windy that day that the shooter in question decides to attempt to qualify? That just isn't realistic. The owner of that range must only welcome world class snipers there, atleast for that caliber, and that doesn't do much to promote the sport of 50cal target shooting.:rolleyes:

That sounds like a rule that I'd expect to hear from the liberal anti-gun politicians such as Senator Ted Kennedy, Senator Chuck Shummer, Diane Fienstein, or Barbara Boxer!! NOT from the owner of a public shooting range. Things like that make me question the enthusiasm, (or lack of) for the shooting sports on the part of the range owner in question.:down:

jgc61sr2002
01-10-2004, 04:29 PM
A Glock 9MM with a 16 rounds is my weapon of choice. Not that difficult to conceal.

Alan
01-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Agreed. I guess the "thinking" behind it is that the rounds just travel so damn far and can do a tremendous amount of damage if not on target (or at least shot into the berm at the range). It's the whole "liability game" at that range.

If history is any guide, I'd bet a dime to a dollar that your bolt action 50BMG is MUCH more accurate than the semi-auto version.
You have a beautiful specimen there. Hold on to that one! I am envious. I'd love to shoulder that rifle and give it a whirl. :)

Originally posted by BillyGman
I'd love to try at 600 yds, but personally I think it's rediculous for any public range to make a customer "qualify" before they'll allow you to shoot there. My assumption is that they do NOT demand that the shooters of lesser calibers "qualify" before they'll allow them to shoot there, so why should they discriminate against us 50BMG caliber shooters? They might as well come right out and tell you that they do NOT welcome 50 caliber shooters there at all.

BillyGman
01-10-2004, 10:22 PM
I really love shooting that rifle Alan. And yes, the 50BMG round can travel very far, however most ranges have a birm behind the target area so even if you were shooting a literal cannon, the rounds would still only be going into the ground anyway like you've indicated.

It just bothers me when I hear of policies like that. It's too often that the laws and/or rules regarding firearms only serve to make things more difficult for those of us who are legal owners of firearms rather than for criminals, and those who own firearms illegaly. So as you've probably already guessed, this is a pet peeve of mine. However one that is a very real issue that effects us all. In most states in the USA, the laws actually give the criminals the advantage, and therefore invite crime rather than deter it.

This kinda reminds me of how liberal Law makers seek to use non-issues to limit law abiding citizens from obtaining pistol permits for self defense. I just was talking to someone who was telling me that when he went for his NRA safety class to obtain the certificate required to obtain a pistol permit, the NRA instructor refused some of the students the certification they needed simply because they didn't live up to his standard of markmanship.They didn't hit the target the percentage of the times that he expected them to. And that's the kind of thing that the liberal gun-haters look to use to adopt as Law, as a tool to refuse people pistol permits. The class is supposed to be to ensure that the applicant in question knows about the safe handling of a firearm. It is NOT for proving marksmanship which has nothing to do w/the potential self defense situation anyway.

I might be preaching to the choir here, but almost every single self defense situation will occur within a 7-10 foot range. So weather or not the applicant in question can hit a paper target at the range that's 20-30 feet away from the muzzle an expected number of times is irrelavent. People in the gun industry, or those who are associated w/it in any indirect way, and who earn money from it(such as NRA certified safety instructors) who give in to these politically liberal policies are a disgrace to the cause of the preservation of our Second Ammendment!!!! And that is hypocritical for people who are involved w/the shooting sports, and w/firearm use in general.

Alan
01-11-2004, 10:44 AM
BillyGman,

Amen brother! You and I think alike.
I just hope my son is able to grow up and enjoy the fun, excitement, and discipline of the shooting sports...but I have a feeling that somehow those rights are going to slip out of our hands. (Especially if the UN continues its powertrip or , Lord forbid, finds the right POTUS to steamroll)

BillyGman
01-11-2004, 02:48 PM
the UN is made up of reps from countries that have no clue what the value is of our Bill of Rights. And at best some of them might even be jealous of us that we have such rights since they do NOT have them in their own countries. But either way, the majority of the countries of the UN despise the USA and will definately seek to destroy the liberty that we have because of the Bill of Rights, and guess which Ammendment will be targeted first? Yes, the Second Ammendment.

The UN already tried to do away w/it two years ago, but it was stopped by the conservative factions of our government. But I can garantee you that if anyone like Al Gore or people like him ever get in there, the UN will easily remove a portion of the Bill of Rights from our government. Not a pleasant thought at all.

If and when that happens, then you can count on the crime rate soaring higher than it's been in a long time, and perhaps higher than it's ever been. if anyone doesn't believe that then I suggest that instead of watching the mainstream news broadcasts, start reading up on what has happened to the crime rates in both Britain, and Australia since handguns were banned several years ago. Gun related crimes have risen 13%. But the mainstream news as liberal as they are will NOT report on that.

So the bottom line is that's what happens when you remove law abiding citizens' rights to defend themselves......armed robbery goes up. Most criminals are cowards, and will choose targets of no resistence.

Alan
01-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Isn't it amazing that the UN is opposed to the 2nd Amendment, yet has been caught with automatic HK rifles scattered amongst its own security force? (Imported illegally into the US, I might add!)

BillyGman...I'm sure you're already too familiar with these titles, but I suggest everyone read the following:

Unintended Consequences by John Ross
More Guns, Less Crime and The Bias Against Guns by John Lott, Jr
Let Freedom Ring by Sean Hannity
Guns, Freedom, and Terrorism by Wayne LaPierre

I read Unintended Consequences every year just to remind myself of what could be...

BillyGman
01-12-2004, 12:17 AM
"Unintended Consequences" I'm definately not familiar with. Thanks.