PDA

View Full Version : Met Steve Magnante from Barrett Jackson auctions

Egon Spengler
06-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Was at a local car show here in MA and I knew Steve Magnante was a local in the area, but I didn't expect to see him at a small town car show. There were probably 50 cars there and he brought his altered wheelbase chevy II. He is the guy that is on the auction block spitting out facts about the car on the block. Let me just say that what he says is not scripted! This guys can come up with the most random facts about cars right off the top of his head. I was at the show by myself, but met up with my uncle and we spoke with Steve for a bit. The guy is interesting to talk to. Definitely knows his stuff. Was cool to see him in a close setting where you could talk with him one on one. This is his Wilshire Shaker below. Pretty cool looking. I had seen him at the big car show in the area, but he was promoting a book of his, so he was kind of hard to talk to, but in a close setting, it was easy! Look forward to seeing him in the area and getting to know him better.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg819/scaled.php?server=819&filename=248650101503341266979 26.jpg&res=medium

CBT
06-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Did you take him for a ride on your motorcycle, that is the important thing.

Egon Spengler
06-16-2011, 06:49 AM
Did you take him for a ride on your motorcycle, that is the important thing.
Nnnnnope. I had the cowl on instead of the rear seat. He was game though. I said next week.

CBT
06-16-2011, 06:51 AM
So is his voice the same or do we just hear his commentator voice on t.v.? I can't see the pic here at work, is it his car?

CBT
06-16-2011, 06:55 AM
I am amazed that he can identify engines while blind-folded, just by touching them.

CBT
06-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Wow, that car is crazy!

http://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/06/MusclepaloozaXI_0406_1000-700x502.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2010/06/MusclepaloozaXI_0406_1000-700x502.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/wilshire-shaker/&usg=__eW1OqK_y0ObLzgDKIa7jtL6m WEA=&h=502&w=700&sz=82&hl=en&start=6&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=0YvfFFsMTLQYJM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=140&prev=/search%3Fq%3DWilshire%2BShaker %26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D12 59%26bih%3D844%26gbv%3D2%26tbm %3Disch&ei=pAv6TY3HFIragQfWmdTlBA

Egon Spengler
06-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Yeah Casey. That is the car I posted the pic of. That pic you posted is a local drag strip in NY just over the MA/NY border. He and my uncle were talking about racing eachother because both of their cars are around the same E/T. He has written a how-to book for building an altered wheelbase car like his. That is his voice in real life... haha

mike P71
06-16-2011, 11:19 AM
He is the guy that really makes the B J auction enjoyable. He is a walking encyclopedia of Hot rod facts. Not like "once in a lifetime opportunity" Mark Davis with the shades. He would be a great guy to have as a guest speaker at a local club meeting

Egon Spengler
06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
He is the guy that really makes the B J auction enjoyable. He is a walking encyclopedia of Hot rod facts. Not like "once in a lifetime opportunity" Mark Davis with the shades. He would be a great guy to have as a guest speaker at a local club meeting
I want to see what he knows about the marauder and if not much, school him on it for when a marauder crosses the BJ auction block in 10-20 years. haha

Mr. Man
06-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Tom-"Hey aren't you Steve Magnante from the Barrett-Jackson auction?"

Steve-" Why yes I am. Are you showing a car here"?

Tom- "No, I have a Toyota Corolla."

Steve- "Next!!....walking away...heard under his breath "loser'

:flamer::P:D:)

Egon Spengler
06-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Tom-"Hey aren't you Steve Magnante from the Barrett-Jackson auction?"

Steve-" Why yes I am. Are you showing a car here"?

Tom- "No, I have a Toyota Corolla."

Steve- "Next!!....walking away...heard under his breath "loser'

:flamer::P:D:)
Actually he wanted a ride in it after I gave him a ride on the motorcycle! ;)

Mr. Man
06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Actually he wanted a ride in it after I gave him a ride on the motorcycle! ;)
If that's^^^^ what allows you to sleep at night, more power to you.:rolleyes:

Egon Spengler
06-16-2011, 01:51 PM
If that's^^^^ what allows you to sleep at night, more power to you.:rolleyes:
You all are so jealous of my gas mileage! hehe

Mr. Man
06-16-2011, 07:47 PM
You all are so jealous of my gas mileage! hehe
I bet I could eat as many burritos as you....oh you mean fuel mileage. I think 23-4 mpg for a real 5 passenger, small block V-8 is pretty darn good. I can get full man leg spread, one arm over the passenger seat A/C on arctic while cruising up a hill and not have to turn up the radio to out drone the 7500rpm 3rd gear screaming cheese eating mouse motor whilst my testes are roasting because of the no man spread, shoebox confines and the 4 bangers unwillingness to go up said hill with the A/C on.. :cool:

wickedmerc
06-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I like his "Junkyard Crawl" feature in Car Craft. He often visits New England yards.

Egon Spengler
06-17-2011, 05:57 AM
I bet I could eat as many burritos as you....oh you mean fuel mileage. I think 23-4 mpg for a real 5 passenger, small block V-8 is pretty darn good. I can get full man leg spread, one arm over the passenger seat A/C on arctic while cruising up a hill and not have to turn up the radio to out drone the 7500rpm 3rd gear screaming cheese eating mouse motor whilst my testes are roasting because of the no man spread, shoebox confines and the 4 bangers unwillingness to go up said hill with the A/C on.. :cool:
Actually the corolla is a really nice car and quite frankly I haven't yet said "I miss the marauder".

Mr. Man
06-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Actually the ******* is a really nice car and quite frankly I haven't yet said "I miss the marauder".

Give it time. Once the tears:bigcry: dry out a little it will be easier to say. It just takes time and two,three, a dozen beers a day till you can finally convince even yourself you did the right thing.

Not to get medically philosophical but what you are suffering from is a type of Stockholm Syndrome that Toyota incorporated into its adds to sell gullible guys into chick cars called "nowIdriveaturdandIamaloser" I know it's a big word but it is easily rectified buy going out and getting a new Marauder and it will pass all by itself. :flamer::D;)