PDA

View Full Version : Hesitant when reving, what's wrong?

Motorhead350
06-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Found a 4.6 DOHC engine today. Got it running, sounds great, but it takes a second for the engine to rev up when you play with the throttle body. If you are normal with it, it's fine, but when you want fast gas it takes a second.

The car has been sitting for 3 years and the engine has 120K on it. I highly doubt I will get this engine, but it sounds really healthy, doesn't spit out gray smoke, no bad wrist pins, no blue smoke... it's in better shape than my engine, just takes a second to power up when you floor it.

What gives?

ImpalaSlayer
06-20-2011, 02:47 PM
is it in the car?

Motorhead350
06-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Yes still in. No check engine light on. I know it's not pulled because the check engine light will come on as you turn the key. As do all the lights until the car is fired up. Like our cars.

gdsqdcr
06-20-2011, 02:56 PM
If the car has been sitting for awhile, without being run ...

Dirty Gas?
Clogged Fuel Filter? Could be able to withstand normal pressure, but flooring it could be too much for the filter.
Dirty MAF
Plugs, wires ..

All sorts of things could cause a motor to hesitate mildly under load.

~
Anthony

Motorhead350
06-20-2011, 02:59 PM
As long as it's not a part and you guys think something is simply clogged or dirty I am happy. IF I actually offer to buy it I don't know what to ask. They wanna sell the whole engine. I don't need the heads or anything.

Blackened300a
06-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Found a 4.6 DOHC engine today. Got it running, sounds great, but it takes a second for the engine to rev up when you play with the throttle body. If you are normal with it, it's fine, but when you want fast gas it takes a second.

The car has been sitting for 3 years and the engine has 120K on it.

Im sure the bearings love being revved up after sitting for 3 years. What did the oil look like and was the oil changed before they started it or they just let it rip?? The slow rev could have been due to the engine binding up.

Panther47
06-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Not a Marauder expert but dealt with a lot of 4.6's. Famous for leaking vacum lines, check the rear of the manifold. Cheap fix!! Mine was dogging and low idling with A/C running and that was the problem.

J-MAN
06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
What does your mechanic think?
WWZD?

Granddaddy Marq
06-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Do you want to sell the whole car? I do need a motor, but I would like to see the car. PM me the wheel base so I can set some blocks in the yard. Somebody spelchek me!:rolleyes:

Joe Walsh
06-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Found a 4.6 DOHC engine today. Got it running, sounds great, but it takes a second for the engine to rev up when you play with the throttle body.
If you are normal with it, it's fine, but when you want fast gas it takes a second.

What gives?

Well, that right there means it is not the engine for you Dom!

Motorhead350
06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
What does your mechanic think?
WWZD?

He's done caring. He'll do whatever, but right now he's not doing anything.

Well, that right there means it is not the engine for you Dom!

:lol:

Soooo true. :(