PDA

View Full Version : Compact luxury anyone?

Cheeseheadbob
06-22-2011, 01:40 PM
In a current thread, the future of Lincoln is being discussed and the consensus is that a RWD luxury car from them will not happen. I believe Cadillac will continue to make the V series, so if you want a serious neck snapping, high HP, American made RWD car, you will be able to get one. I think Cadillac is on the right path here. They are thinking about sales outside the US, and if they can sell a bunch of these cars worldwide, it should insure enough cash flow to keep the V platform alive and well. I have to admit, the lines take a little getting used to, but I like it. I own a CTS, so I am partial to the angular look. :beatnik:

Cadillac Urban Luxury Concept

by Liz Kim Tuesday, November 30, 2010
http://img.vhx.com/Editorial/15B000000000314_63426757934851 9691.JPG What It Is:

The Cadillac Urban Luxury Concept is a mini-compact city car designed for use in compact urban centers.
Why It’s Important:

General Motors intends to make Cadillac its global luxury brand, and in many of its key markets the competition builds upscale urban runabouts like the Urban Luxury Concept (ULC). Additionally, EPA fuel economy standards are rising in America, and Cadillac (http://comcast.vehix.com/new-cars/new-car-research/cadillac) needs something like the ULC in its lineup if it wants to keep selling Escalades.
Key Features of the Cadillac Urban Luxury Concept:

Hybrid Powertrain – The Cadillac ULC is projected to get 56 mpg in the city and 65 mpg on the highway thanks to a hybrid gasoline powertrain. Stuffed under the ULC’s stubby hood is a 1.0-liter, turbocharged gasoline three-cylinder engine equipped with an electric assist system that is recharged through brake regeneration. A dry dual-clutch automated manual transmission and an engine start-stop system also help to maximize fuel economy.

Art & Science Design – Take no more than a glance at the ULC, and you know it’s a Cadillac. Vertical lighting elements, creased sheetmetal, an angular greenhouse, and a huge Cadillac grille decorated by a giant wreath-and-crest badge mean the ULC ain’t subtle. It’s also got 19-inch wheels crammed into the wheel wells, and scissor-style push-button doors pop out and up to ease entry and exit in crowded parking spaces. Twin skylights bathe the cabin in natural light, helping it feel bigger.

Four-Passenger Seating – Small on the outside, the Cadillac ULC is big enough on the inside to accommodate four adults. The front passenger’s seat can slide and recline, or it can fold in half so that the Orbit Baby Smarthub docking station that’s embedded into the seatback can be used to transport little ones.

Next-Generation Technology – The Cadillac ULC does not have a traditional center stack of climate, audio, navigation, and entertainment controls. Instead, there’s an interactive divided electronic interface with a heads-up projection display, OnStar telematics with voice recognition technology, and touch pad switchgear. The design allows the driver and front passenger to access and view information independently, and safely, from one another. For example, the front passenger can surf the Internet without distracting the driver.

Luxury Interior – Cadillac wanted a minimalist design for the ULC’s interior, and the integration of technology and controls helped make it happen. Two-tone blue and gray leather is complemented by upscale fabrics, wood inlays, brushed aluminum, and ceramic details, to create a luxurious yet understated cabin ambience.

The Vehix View:

You might look at the Cadillac Urban Luxury Concept, scratch your head, and ask WTH (What The Heck)? Cadillac (http://comcast.vehix.com/new-cars/new-car-research/cadillac) faces several realities if it wants to stay in the game. First, it needs to be a global player, so it can’t continue designing and building cars and SUVs that work only for Americans. Second, it needs to figure out a way to meet rapidly approaching fuel economy mandates here in the U.S. Third, a new generation of future luxury car buyers has different priorities when it comes to defining the perfect automobile, and research indicates that technology and environmental responsibility are going to emerge as key purchase drivers in the years to come. So while you might be wishing Cadillac would develop an XLR replacement or a Mercedes-Benz S-Class competitor, Cadillac needs to address other market requirements, too. Compared to similar vehicles that are coming soon from Aston Martin, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes, this Cadillac Urban Luxury Concept is looking pretty good to us.

http://static.vehix.com/Editorial/15B000000000314_63426757939383 3061.JPG
http://static.vehix.com/Editorial/15B000000000314_63426757944539 6551.JPG
http://static.vehix.com/Editorial/15B000000000314_63426757948914 7391.JPG

Motorhead350
06-22-2011, 01:51 PM
More I see new cars, the more I dislike them.

MMarauder03
06-22-2011, 01:52 PM
That would make a pretty cool daily especially living in a city or doing a lot of commuting. I'd rock it

Bluerauder
06-22-2011, 02:01 PM
You might look at the Cadillac Urban Luxury Concept, scratch your head, and ask WTH (What The Heck)?

Close but no cigar. :o

Yes, unmistakably Cadillac. But I am not a fan of the "snowplow" design school. What the H3LL is minimalistic luxury? If I want LUXURY, I want it ALL and I want it NOW. This car is for people who can only afford a little bit of luxury or who want to appear to be luxurious but couldn't afford a regular sized car.

Interesting concept ..... I predict FAIL like the Cimarron or whatever it was called.

Recommend that they change the name to Cadillac Luxury Urban Concept (CLUC) ..... rhymes with WTF?

guspech750
06-22-2011, 02:01 PM
More I see new cars, the more I dislike them.

+1,000,000!!!!

Makes me appreciate my MM that much more as the years melt by.

Sent from my iPhone
Go White Sox!!!

PonyUP
06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
That thing looks like an even crappier version of the Pontiac Asstec. I think I'm gonna throw up in my mouth :puke:

Vortex
06-22-2011, 04:39 PM
I imagine someday I will be getting a small car again but Im not too sure about that one. Im not a real fan of the latest designs by Cadillac. The last one I really liked was the 91 Brougham because it looked like a Cadillac to me.

Bluerauder
06-22-2011, 04:45 PM
I expect to only be in a Cadillac once and I probably won't be complaining about the ride. ;) But I may just specify in my will that it won't be a CULC or a CLUC.

SpartaPerformance
06-22-2011, 05:02 PM
That car is not going to happen, GM is still too "soft" when it comes to launching really edgy vehicles and taking the lead on setting trends. I like it though!

dmjarosz
06-22-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd buy one.... if it came with an LS-7 or XLR motor!!!

dohc324ci
06-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Wow that car is ugly.

TAKEDOWN
07-01-2011, 10:41 PM
I really hope they walk away from the futuristic golf cart look!

1 Bad Merc
07-02-2011, 12:49 AM
Wow -that car looks like the designer was looking at his' door stopper and stole that shape!!! Horrible looking car.

Mike
07-02-2011, 07:43 PM
That thing looks like an even crappier version of the Pontiac Asstec. I think I'm gonna throw up in my mouth :puke:

Then what :confused:

Mr. Man
07-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Someone should have told the designer that the Aztec was not the bar to shoot for :lol:

I expect to only be in a Cadillac once and I probably won't be complaining about the ride. ;) But I may just specify in my will that it won't be a CULC or a CLUC. Cadillac makes University cadaver delivery vans now?:dunno:

Shaijack
07-02-2011, 08:25 PM
PonyUp it comes with a XXXXXtra Large drink holder.

Fosters
07-06-2011, 08:44 AM
I'd buy one.... if it came with an LS-7 or XLR motor!!!

XLR motor? You mean the northstar? Only if it comes with a Ford truck for a backup car/tow vehicle/parts runner... But if it does come with an LS7, they should put it in the back, right above or behind the back wheels, maybe it can do a backflip that way. That would be the only reason to buy one :)

RF Overlord
07-06-2011, 09:16 AM
I expect to only be in a Cadillac once and I probably won't be complaining about the ride.

Cadillac makes University cadaver delivery vans now?Oh no you DIDN'T! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, Cadillac need to drop the snowplow look NOW. It ranks right down there with the Nissan Murano and the Subaru Tribeca.

PonyUP
07-06-2011, 09:46 AM
PonyUp it comes with a XXXXXtra Large drink holder.

Yes, but to drive in a puke-mobile? Besides it's not big enough for the Ice Bucket

Vortex
07-06-2011, 08:23 PM
To me the CTS is compact enough!

Kodimar
07-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Kill it, kill it with fire!

If I want a small car I'll just stick with the Focus. When I want luxury I'll take the Marauder. I'll skip that abortion thanks...

Funny thing is that Lincoln had a future car very similar to Caddy posted on their site a few weeks ago, can't find anything on it now. Must have came to their senses.

edit

It was this... thing...
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1033803_lincoln-downsizing-models-possible-compact-car-and-small-crossover-in-the-works