PDA

View Full Version : One Dealer Will Sell Caprice Cop Cars To The Public

ctrlraven
06-30-2011, 05:52 AM
http://autoholics.com/2011/06/24/One-Dealership-Will-Defiantly-Sell-Caprice-Cop-Cars-To-The-Public-545389?utm_source=CDnewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CopCaprice

GM's new Caprice is a 355-hp four-door monster that's intended for police fleet sales only. But one ballsy Chevy dealer, taking advantage of a loophole in GM's resale contract that doesn't specifically forbid sales to civilians, will be making 13 of the cars available for sale to the public. Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, MD, is selling the cars for $31,000 to $37,000 a pop at various levels of civilian tricked-outedness. And yes, I imagine that by now they're probably all spoken for. See them below the jump, via Jalopnik (http://jalopnik.com/5815228/chevy-dealer-will-sell-you-a-new-caprice-police-car).http://jalopnik.com/5815228/chevy-dealer-will-sell-you-a-new-caprice-police-car

When Chevrolet announced last year it would import the Australian-built Chevy Caprice sedan (http://jalopnik.com/5373645/exclusive-the-chevy-caprice-police-car-is-back) as police-only fleet car, enthusiasts begged for a civilian version to no avail. Now one Maryland dealer says it will buck GM and sell 13 Caprices to the public. UPDATE: It's legit — but not for long. In its advertising touting the models (http://criswellchevrolet.com/Caprice.aspx), Criswell Chevrolet of Gaithersburg, Md., touts the car's similarity to the cancelled Pontiac G8, its 355-hp V8 and its performance in Michigan State Police tests. The dealer has specially outfitted 13 detective sedans with additional features for public consumption, such as power windows and power seats. The list prices run from $31,000 to $37,000 — not a bad price considering GM's only other rear-wheel-drive, V8-powered sedan is the $67,000 Cadillac CTS-V.
Full size (http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2011/06/criswell2.jpg)

While GM has said it was strictly limiting the Caprice only to law enforcement agencies, it's not clear what would keep Criswell or another dealer from selling them to the public. GM has to certify the Caprice to all U.S. standards of crashworthiness, pollution and fuel efficiency, just as it does with the Chevy Captiva, the old Saturn Vue it sells only to rental fleets. But the Caprice isn't listed in government databases for fuel economy ratings and crash tests; the efficiency data in particular is required to be displayed on window stickers.

We've got calls into GM and the dealer to see how this is possible, but 13 lucky buyers might be the envy of their local cop shops — or more if other dealers can pull the same trick.

UPDATED: Criswell's sale is legit thanks to a sharp-eyed reading of contracts, and an oversight by GM.

The Caprice is the first vehicle GM has sold in decades that's supposed to be limited exclusively to police departments. But GM didn't explicitly say in the Caprice sales contracts with its dealers that the car could only be sold to law enforcement agencies. That means Criswell — or any other dealer with a Caprice on its lot today — is free to sell them to whomever has the money.

Unfortunately for Caprice fans, Criswell's sale has made GM aware of its mistake, and all future contracts will carry GM's public sale ban. A few lucky Caprice fans will be able to buy one new; the rest will have to wait a year or two for a high-mileage version to cross an auction block.

Vortex
06-30-2011, 06:22 AM
I think they are sold, the ad is gone now.

Haggis
06-30-2011, 08:44 AM
:confused:

Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, MD is now a Chrysler Dodge Jump dealer now. Travel past there everyday.

88LTDCV351
06-30-2011, 08:49 AM
There has always been a very few exceptions made for police package cars sold directly to civilians. I'd imagine its harder and rarer though these days so this might be good for those who really want the new Caprice.

DOOM
06-30-2011, 08:59 AM
:confused:

Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, MD is now a Chrysler Dodge Jump dealer now. Travel past there everyday.

My buddy told me yesterday that the chevy dealer in Gaithersburg had them in stock now for sale to the public.

cpe6
06-30-2011, 09:03 AM
I saw the Chevy at the auto show, a GM dealer told me that GM was going to do this with the chevy/G8 import it from Australia. I still love my MM.

cpe6
06-30-2011, 09:06 AM
The Caprice is just a rebadged Pontiac G8

BigCars4Ever
06-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Kinda blah in the styling department. And you think we have it bad in aftermarket support!

Haggis
06-30-2011, 09:24 AM
My buddy told me yesterday that the chevy dealer in Gaithersburg had them in stock now for sale to the public.

They must have moved the Chevys to a new location then?

ctrlraven
06-30-2011, 09:33 AM
The Caprice is a rebadged middle east version of the Lumina which is a rebadged/restyled Holden. The G8 was a rebadged/restyled Holden.

Chevy is bringing influences from the Aussies while Ford is bringing influence from Ford Europe.

Motorhead350
06-30-2011, 10:44 AM
1996 is my cut off year.

Mr. Man
06-30-2011, 12:18 PM
The Caprice is a re badged middle east version of the Lumina which is a re-badged/restyled Holden. The G8 was a re-badged/restyled Holden.

Chevy is bringing influences from the Aussies while Ford is bringing influence from Ford Europe.
Crazy Aussie's are more horsepower freaky than the typical American so if we want high horsepower cars here we need to support the Aussie perspective.

If we go European we will see diesels coming to our shores, which as far as commuting goes might not be a bad thing. VW Golf diesels were getting close to 70 mpg's last I heard.

Motorhead350
06-30-2011, 02:01 PM
The best thing to come out of Aussie is Mad Max.

Haggis
07-01-2011, 04:24 AM
The best thing to come out of Aussie is Mad Max.

Though Mel Gibson is from NY state.

Joe Walsh
07-01-2011, 05:02 AM

Kinda blah in the styling department. And you think we have it bad in aftermarket support!

+1!.........:sleepy:

I don't know why anyone would go through so much trouble to buy that lame looking Chevy, when the Pontiac G8 GXP looks so much better.
....and was available at a discount when Pontiac was going out of business.

If you really want a Chevy 4 door sedan with a big V8 then buy a clean used '96 Impala SS.

Vortex
07-01-2011, 05:53 AM
The Caprice is a rebadged middle east version of the Lumina which is a rebadged/restyled Holden. The G8 was a rebadged/restyled Holden.

Actually the US Caprice police car is a version of the Holden Caprice. The US G8 was a version of the Holden Commodore. Those cars are pretty much identical mechanically but the Caprice has a longer wheelbase than the G8/Commodore. I think its a great looking car myself. The best looking version Ive seen is the Chinese(!) version of the Caprice branded as a Buick Park Avenue. Im mystified why GM doesnt build and sell these cars in the US to the general public.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/08/wild-ass-rumor-of-the-day-buick-taking-on-lexus-ls/

Geo
09-22-2011, 08:42 PM
because of the CAFE (fleet average MPG)

if Chevrolet sells more Volts, we may get the Caprice for sale.

same problem for Ford which is why we have no Marauder or any other Panthers any more; too many Ford Mustang V8 sales have cripled the market for any other V8 vehicle by Ford.