PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear is a Bunch of Thieves

PonyUP
07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
So last Thursday, I'm at work and it's kind of slow gearing down for the long weekend. A friend of mine, Erin, in the office next to me mentions that she just found out she had to spend $2500 on her car, I said for what?

Her reply "Well I got a flat today, and I'm due for new tires, so I figured I'd get it all done. Andy said I should go to Goodyear"

"And their $2500? Do they have a Genie that pop's out when you rub them to grant you three wishes?"

She says "No they're run flats" to which I replied "Damn right, they'll run you flat broke, you're getting ripped off in a massive way. No way tires for a Miata should run $2500

At this point she is already content just to have it done. Then I showed her the pricing on the Goodyear website and Discount tire for which neither was near $2500.

So she calls them, and they tell her she needs new brakes. She tells them to go to hell and put her old tires on. Long story, less long. Discount tire found out she didn't need brakes for another 20K miles, told her she didn't need run flats it was a waste of money (to which I said the same thing) and she walked out with a screming deal for $700

Moral to the story, always do the research, or check with the nearest guy driving a Marauder, if it's one thing we know, it's tire pricing.

CBT
07-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Good for you :beer:

Mr. Man
07-05-2011, 05:44 PM
So is she buying you an 1800.00 dinner?

DOOM
07-05-2011, 05:50 PM
if it's one thing we know, it's tire pricing.

Damn straight!!! :D :burn: :burnout: :burnout:

MM2004
07-05-2011, 05:52 PM
So is she buying you an 1800.00 dinner?

Erin still won't go out with him.

:D

Mike.

SpartaPerformance
07-05-2011, 06:06 PM
So let me ask you a question because some Miata's came with runflat tires. Did her tire have run flats from the factory? If she did wouldn't it suck if she runs over a nail and is stuck on the side of the road someplace because her vehicle isn't equipped with a spare because it came with runflats. :(

Bluerauder
07-05-2011, 07:06 PM
The Bridgestone Potenza RFT "run flat" tires for the Miata are about $250 each .... so the full set of 4 should be about $1000. Labor, balancing, disposal comes to no more than $1200. How they ended up with nearly double the cost is a mystery ..... and a rip off. Maybe GoodYear is pissed that Bridgestone has been suppling Mazda for years.

I am sure that there are non-run-flat options ... but then you have to consider the situation that Sparta ^^^^^ mentioned.

Dealers and auto shops have a tendency to see the women-folk as a meal ticket (and lots of guys now too). Typically, they have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it. Have not done any research. Do not know what is reasonable. And just want the problem to go away. Some shops will make you pay to play this game of "Stump the Chump". Not sure how they stay in business ... if it were not for a steady stream of ignorant customers. :o

"I didn't even know my Miata needed run-flat tires .... or how much they would cost to replace .... I just thought it was a cute car." :P

MrBluGruv
07-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Goodyear auto shops always charge laughably ridiculous prices.

I was going to get a gatorback from one once, because none of the auto parts houses around here carry them any more apparently, and they wanted $85 for it. I looked online and found it new on eBay for $24. Turns out I didn't own the car long enough to need it, but the point still stands.

Shaijack
07-05-2011, 07:40 PM
PonyUp you are a true hero.

sailsmen
07-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Sears and Firestone both pleased guilty to over charging consumers.

I use a National chain where I developed a relationship with the manager. I told him so long as he is fair I will buy all my street tries from him for all our vehicles. We have both lived up to the agreement.

Example, he did not want to offer the road hazard warranty because it was a non-stocking tire. I told him I recognize it's a non stocking tire and I won't hold him to the delay trigger so he sold me the road hazard.

Mike
07-06-2011, 04:16 AM
Tru dat :lovies:

PonyUP
07-06-2011, 06:19 AM
So let me ask you a question because some Miata's came with runflat tires. Did her tire have run flats from the factory? If she did wouldn't it suck if she runs over a nail and is stuck on the side of the road someplace because her vehicle isn't equipped with a spare because it came with runflats. :(

It did come with run flats, not sure if she has a spare or not, but she does have tripleA and roadside assist, which in the long run would be cheaper. Not only that, but discount tire will fix it for free at any one of their locations.

The run flats are noisier and make for a rougher ride from what I have read on various forums, so I think its 6 in one hand.

In the end, she saved a ton of cash and was happy with the purchase :beer:

PonyUP
07-06-2011, 06:19 AM

Unfortunately my tights were at the cleaners along with my Chuck Norris Underoo's, so she now knows my secret identity :beer:

PonyUP
07-06-2011, 06:20 AM
Erin still won't go out with him.

Mike.

Well she's my counterpart in HR, so it's probably not a good idea. Though like with every other woman, I wear em down and grow on them like a fungus

Papillon
07-06-2011, 06:35 AM
$2500?!?!?!!! That's INSANE!!! I went through TireRack.com, got 4 brand new tires for $400 and had MY Marauder guy (:lovies:) do the install for free!!!

Good lookin out PonyUp! :beer:

Haggis
07-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Well she's my counterpart in HR, so it's probably not a good idea. Though like with every other woman, I wear em down and grow on them like a fungus

Feed me s**t and keep me in the dark.

tbone
07-06-2011, 09:18 AM
There's an awful lot of gratitude to be found in $1800!:rolleyes:

PonyUP
07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
There's an awful lot of gratitude to be found in $1800!:rolleyes:

:D I like the way you think ;)

Motorhead350
07-06-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Brad. When I worked in sales it was a total scam and I quit almost as soon as I started. Car sales and truck rentals, more so car sales. Huge scammers. Unbelievable what is in the training manual.

Egon Spengler
07-06-2011, 12:01 PM
She should have at least touched... ahhh forget it...

1 Bad Merc
07-06-2011, 01:00 PM
For the $1800 savings she could just throw a can of fix a flat in the car or run on the rim to a gas station. I am sure replacing a rim is cheaper then the extra $1800.

It's just not GoodYear doing this - went to the local Ford dealer with my Navigator for a 60,000 mile check up and they wanted me to change the sparkplugs out because and I quote " they are now at the point where they could crack/break in the cylinder head". I said really -whom....... How much to replace them- $565. Yeah Right! Wont be using them for work that is not warrantied!

mcb26
07-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Have a Goodyear story from many moons ago.
I had a 63 Galaxie 500 I liked to play in the dirt with. I replaced all front end parts with hi-perf parts. Me and a friend did all the work. It was a month or so before I got around to getting the front end aligned. Took it to Goodyear.
They had it most of the day and I went to work. Went to pick it up they said my front end was shot and needed most of the parts replaced. Mechanic showed me the loose tie rod ends and such. Problem was you could see his prints it the mud over the nuts and the bare mud spots on the frame where he got it. Guess he thought the dumb hippy wouldn't notice. I had him give me an estimate. Took the car around the block very slowly to Firestone, explained the situation got the bolts retightened and front end aligned.
Sent the estimate to Goodyear HQ along with the receipts for parts purchased
and a statement from Firestone mechanic.
Got a nice apology from Goodyear with a check covering the false estimate plus $50 for my trouble. Even though I didn't have the work done there.
2 mouths later the Goodyear place was under new management and the mechanic that tried to rip off the dumb hippy was fired.

Bluerauder
07-06-2011, 05:09 PM
... and had MY Marauder guy (:lovies:) do the install for free!!!

Just because no money exchanged hands .... doesn't mean it was FREE. :P ;) :o

Papillon
07-06-2011, 05:29 PM

:lol:

;)

PonyUP
07-06-2011, 07:06 PM

I know that's how I charge, might explain why a number of bills are outstanding :(

CBT
07-06-2011, 07:08 PM
I had a beautiful relationship with a gal all because I helped her with a flat tire. Memories.....:beer:

Motorhead350
07-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I had a beautiful relationship with a gal all because I helped her with a flat tire. Memories.....:beer:

How was she after the lube job?

Egon Spengler
07-07-2011, 11:34 AM
How was she after the lube job?
Dom FINALLY made me laugh! :P

PonyUP
07-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Did she have and Adam's apple? Just asking