PDA

View Full Version : How to inspect the engine

Motorhead350
07-07-2011, 12:17 PM
This will be the last thread of the day, sorry for all the questions... I will be working tomorrow!

Now, I am going to check out a short block engine and need to know what to lookout for. This won't be till tuesday. When looking at the engine the only thing I can think of was to check out the cylinder walls to make sure the piston rings didn't ruin the block. Also to check out the pistons, but I don't know how to make a good judgement without taking the pistons out. Also making sure the block isn't cracked at all.

Is there anything else I should do? Is there a color that I should lookout for on the pistons that will give me a red flag?

Anything will help.

Thanks!

The last short block I bought was pretty much in new condition, plus was from a trusted member. This "new" finding isn't from this site and has had some use, but not too much use.

DOOM
07-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Did you sell your cobra short block?
What block are you getting now??? :confused:

RacerX
07-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Any bluish brown color near bearing areas would be high temps due to bearing failure. Ideally, put a light at an angle to the cylinder walls. Most well taken care of engines will still show some crosshatch pattern. You do not want to see vertical lines the score the walls. If there's any residual oil, look for any shiny flakes, metallic dustlike particles. Does the crank and assembly rotate 360 deg without any binding....