PDA

View Full Version : Itchy sunburn relief

ctrlraven
07-13-2011, 06:22 AM
I got burnt really bad all over my back this past Sunday. Yesterday afternoon out of complete no where an insane itching started all over my back and drove me crazy for about 2-3 hrs. I tried all different types of lotions, creams, vinegar, and ice but nothing helped. Did a quick search online and someone had a suggest of a hot shower working for them. At this point I was willing to try anything. O.....M.....G instant relief and I didn't feel like breaking anything anymore and stopped cussing up a storm. lol I will never go back out without sunscreen lotion cause it was a pure form of torture that I never want to have again.

If you start to get a bad itch 48 hrs after being burnt the itch can last anywhere from 15-24 hrs (which is hell). For some people vinegar and aloe is enough to settle the itch storm but if it isn't then try a hot shower (hot as you can stand it) and go from hot to cold every few mins then finish with 5-10 mins of hot water on the itchy area. I also took some Benadryl which I believed helped some as well.

Just wanted to pass this along as I've never heard of a hot shower being a sunburn itch relief before cause you would think it would irritate it more but nope it works.

SC Cheesehead
07-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Beer has always been a good sunburn relief for me.

No, I don't put it on the burned area, I just ingest sufficient quantities to make the itching go away... ;)

Actually, I have done the hot shower treatment, and surprisingly, it does work well. You wouldn't think hot water on a sunburned area would feel very good, but it does.

Vortex
07-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Target sells a generic version of Bactine with Lidocaine in it. It works.

MMBLUE
07-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Birdman, did you forget to wear your feathers? Dang it, I 've felt your pain. A mess load of aloe lotion has always worked for me in the past.

Egon Spengler
07-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the advice my fair skinned brother. I burn like no tomorrow...

Haggis
07-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Roll around in mud, you never see a pig with sunburn.

ctrlraven
07-13-2011, 06:43 AM
Birdman, did you forget to wear your feathers? Dang it, I 've felt your pain. A mess load of aloe lotion has always worked for me in the past.
Yes I was featherless. lol

Thanks for the advice my fair skinned brother. I burn like no tomorrow...
That's why I posted it up! But always wear sunscreen lotion and avoid this torture. lol

Egon Spengler
07-13-2011, 06:48 AM
That's why I posted it up! But always wear sunscreen lotion and avoid this torture. lol
I learned my lesson already this year riding my motorcycle. Got burnt at the inside part of my elbow and couldn't move my arm much with out wicked pain. I peeled for 2 weeks after that. Went out and bought some sunscreen the other day.

Jesse
07-13-2011, 02:35 PM
I can relate. It's a crazy itch that makes you wanna go iNsAnE. I had my girlfriend rub lotion on my back while I closed my eyes so i could just fall asleep. Woke up feeling better. It really is hell.

tbone
07-13-2011, 05:01 PM
It happened on my back twice. Absolutely the worst itchy torture I have ever experienced. It damages the nerve endings. If it hasn't happened to you, you can't relate. I would rather be dead than go through it again. Mine lasted 3 days each time.

boatmangc
07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
My wife got it so bad one time I had to feed her Benadryl then crushed up vitamin C tablets, and mixed them with vitamin E oil and spread that nasty goop on the burned areas.
Soothed it right down, and the E&C help heal the skin.

loud2004marquis
07-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Did you blister? I got burned so bad before that I had blisters all over my back and shoulders. It was really bad and I know that particular feeling. Hope it passes quickly!