PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor's Tree is About to Demolish My Property

tbone
07-25-2011, 04:17 PM
My neighbor's tree is split vertically and is aimed directly at my fence, shed, garage and deck. The tree is huge. They notified their landlord who said they won't take care of it, that's what insurance is for. Tomorrow I will notify the city of the issue. I assume they will force them to take care of it. Any similar experiences or advice on the issue?

The second pic is my house, behind my fence, the probable path of the tree.

PonyUP
07-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Damn Tom, that's scary. Hope the City steps in and makes the landlord do what is right

BUCKWHEAT
07-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Damn Tom, that's scary. Hope the City steps in and makes the landlord do what is right

Send the public works guy a registered letter telling the City it is a danger to children and people. The city will be scared of a lawsuit, based on non-action on their part and injury later to people or property. Tell them also that it is a publc nuisance. The City can remove it and charge the neighbor.

Send the neighbor a note quoting him as saying its an insurance problem. He will have no coverage if he knew of a danger and refused to fix it. I suspect that would include damage to your property.

If neither does anything, & your property is damaged, sue them both.

Spectragod
07-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Unfortunately, the insurance that will be responsible for your repairs will be your own. Because they deem a tree falling as an act of God, and therefore is your insurance company's problem.

So, I would call your own insurance company, tell them about it, tell them about your conversation with the property owner. At that point, it may have started as an act of God, but due to the property owners own negligence and lack of wanting to do anything, it will become their problem. They may jump in and help you at that point.

Good luck, let us know what happens.....

tbone
07-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to visit the city tomorrow with pics. I won't rest a minute until this is resolved. We are afraid to sit on our deck right now.

1stMerc
07-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Especially, if you live in an area that sees a lot of strong storms and high winds.

tbone
07-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Especially, if you live in an area that sees a lot of strong storms and high winds.

That's all we've had lately. That's what caused the tree to split. See the new posts in my fence? It was knocked down by these same winds about 2 weeks ago. 1 more storm and my home is toast. And possibly my loved ones as well.

Vortex
07-25-2011, 08:13 PM
"Insurance" wont mean crapola if that thing breaks in the middle of the night and kills somebody. Its a hazard, go to your city hall in person with photos.

duhtroll
07-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Call a tree company and pay for them to "rope" that tree until action can be taken. It is worth a few bucks on your part to prevent this.

That is, if he will do it when it is not on your property.

They have ropes that can hold pretty large trees. I had a very large Willow split at my old house and the tree guy tied the other half in place on a Sunday until he could get there with his equipment the following day.

SC Cheesehead
07-26-2011, 06:03 AM
Call a tree company and pay for them to "rope" that tree until action can be taken. It is worth a few bucks on your part to prevent this.

That is, if he will do it when it is not on your property.

They have ropes that can hold pretty large trees. I had a very large Willow split at my old house and the tree guy tied the other half in place on a Sunday until he could get there with his equipment the following day.

I did not know this! How do they secure the tree, is it tied off to stakes? We had a couple large Bradford Pears with splitting issues a few years back, had I known about something like this it sure would have given us some peace of mind.

HammerDown
07-26-2011, 06:16 AM
My neighbor's tree is split vertically and is aimed directly at my fence, shed, garage and deck. The tree is huge. They notified their landlord who said they won't take care of it, that's what insurance is for. Tomorrow I will notify the city of the issue. I assume they will force them to take care of it. Any similar experiences or advice on the issue?

The second pic is my house, behind my fence, the probable path of the tree.

hence why insurance rates are crazy--attitudes like this absentee landlord who doesn't care about anyone but himself--just sit back and let a possible injury or death, destruction of property happen because he didn't do the right thing:mad2:

Hope all your documentation will force him to take care of this soon!!!

LIGHTNIN1
07-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Get the Sierra Club on it or some tree huggers group.

Fosters
07-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Get a beaver for a pet? No, wait, wrong outcome...

LIGHTNIN1
07-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Get a beaver for a pet? No, wait, wrong outcome...

:laugh::rofl:

tbone
07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
I sent them an email documenting the situation and the ramifications of non-action. Suddenly they have woken up to the fact that they are in for a world of hurt if they do nothing. I had to give them the number of a tree cutting service myself. That's how helpless these people are. They better hurry because storms are expected again tomorrow.

yjmud
07-26-2011, 11:12 AM
storms are expected again tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I hope not we have had enough here for a long while

F8LBITEva
07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
thats not anything a couple 3 inch screws cant fix!

duhtroll
07-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Well with mine he used the downed half to secure the still up half. But he says he does it all the time and it did work on a 3' diameter or so 50' at least willow. I bet it is just a short term thing - like 48 hours max or something, but it worked and kept the other half from crushing small children next door or cars in the street.

My Chinese neighbors at the time came out and stood directly under the dangerous half to watch.

I did not know this! How do they secure the tree, is it tied off to stakes? We had a couple large Bradford Pears with splitting issues a few years back, had I known about something like this it sure would have given us some peace of mind.

Shaijack
07-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Insurance company told me to let it fall on my neighbors house, then they will take care of it. Was a big (6' at base) oak. Found 3 guys that took it down for $100.00 and a case of beer.

babbage
07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately, the insurance that will be responsible for your repairs will be your own. Because they deem a tree falling as an act of God, and therefore is your insurance company's problem.

It's not an act of god when the neighbor who stands to loose a great deal points out that the limb is split, faultly, damaged, diseased or problematic.

Action item for tbone: Certified letter to landlord - you need proof he got it. include picture.

When tree does fall you have a nice certified letter with proof of receipt from landlord which proves negligence on his part. (he pays)

tbone
07-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Well, they finally cut it down. Then the tree cutter noticed my tree is split up high and it's leaning towards my other neighbors house. So now I have to spend $800 to cut it down. It never ends.

duhtroll
07-28-2011, 02:14 PM
That is honestly one of the reasons we sold our old house. Two trees hit the house and two more were going to eventually. It is $2500 for the 60-foot pine in the back yard and I figured I could put that into a down payment.

The saplings at my new place will take 20 years to be tall enough to be a problem.

RacerX
07-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Well, they finally cut it down. Then the tree cutter noticed my tree is split up high and it's leaning towards my other neighbors house. So now I have to spend $800 to cut it down. It never ends.
A little well placed C4... Shouldn't be too noticeable if you time it right during a storm. ;)