PDA

View Full Version : SVT Lightning Concept = SchaWEEET!!

Donny Carlson
01-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Just nabbed these off the Ford Canada website.

I think I'm in love!!!

"The Lightning Concept features an agressive new look wrapped around 500-horse-powered supercharged 5.4 litre V-8, six-speed manual transmission, and an independent rear suspension."

Donny Carlson
01-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Shot of the baddazz 5.4 litre supercharged V-8

Donny Carlson
01-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Even more Lightning Concept goodness..

Donny Carlson
01-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Last one

JET
01-10-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm onboard

woaface
01-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Ya'll heard about the "SuperCooler" Works like NOS, uses the AC system, get the boost ready after about 2 minutes of normal driving, light shows up on the dash...jam the gas, you get 50 transit horsepower for 30-40 seconds. Regains after 2 or so minutes:D

junehhan
01-10-2004, 10:30 PM
The next Lightning is definately going to be bad-ass. While Dudge hasn't impressed anyone yet as they have yet to release their V10 Viper truck, you can bet Ford is not going to let Dudge steal the performance truck crown! Chevy at this time is out of the game as their Silberado SS is just a joke, especially after all of their hype on it before it was finally put into production. I have a feeling that the next Lightning is not going to be cheap, and i'd really be curious whether the final production Lightning would even have an IRS as the concept does. If it does, that just may make the Lightning useless as a truck, making it a truck in exterior sheet metal only. The beauty of the current Lightning, is that it manages to provide incredibly performance, yet still provide the utility of a real truck. I really miss my old Lightning, but having a vehicle that only got 7-8mpg was a bit excessive.........

BillyGman
01-10-2004, 10:57 PM
would be interesting to have the option to purchase a vehicle that has the engine of the 2005 Ford GT that will also be much less expensive than the 150K pricetag of the GT. My assumption is that's exactly what the new Lightening will have under the hood since they're boasting the same displacement and HP rating as that of the GT.

Even though I'm personally NOT sold on the looks of that truck, I think it would be a definate contender w/the Dodge V-10 truck provided that it's pricetag is under 50K in light of the 43K sticker price of the Dodge "Viper Truck".

My ultimate wish ofcourse is that Ford would offer the 2005 Ford GT 5.4L engine in a CAR that is within the reach of most performance car enthusiasts(like perhaps 40-45K) instead of only in a pick-up truck w/independant suspension. :rolleyes:

Donny Carlson
01-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Burn out!:burnout:

Donny Carlson
01-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Interior shot. Mucho better than the Dodge, IMO.

Donny Carlson
01-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Different Angle. So, if SVT program is on hiatus, we won't see this until the 2006 model year?

BlackHole
01-11-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Donny Carlson
Different Angle. So, if SVT program is on hiatus, we won't see this until the 2006 model year?

I say Summer/Fall of 2005.

jgc61sr2002
01-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Donny - One sweet looking truck.:D :up:

junehhan
01-11-2004, 09:01 PM
I personally think that Ford should have used the V10 in the new GT that is coming out so that they could use a hopped up version of the quad cam 5.4 in other applications. The last thing you want to do, to ruin your supercar's image is to use the exact same engine, with similar output in a much cheaper priced vehicle. Especially when you consider that cars like the new BMW M5 and others will also be pushing near the 500hp mark, Ford really should have aimed for near 600hp in a car that costs deep into 6 figures............

BlackHole
01-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by junehhan
I personally think that Ford should have used the V10 in the new GT that is coming out so that they could use a hopped up version of the quad cam 5.4 in other applications. The last thing you want to do, to ruin your supercar's image is to use the exact same engine, with similar output in a much cheaper priced vehicle. Especially when you consider that cars like the new BMW M5 and others will also be pushing near the 500hp mark, Ford really should have aimed for near 600hp in a car that costs deep into 6 figures............

Well Car & Driver didn't say nothing but good things on the GT vs its nemisis Ferrari 360 Strada SP? and Porsche GT3 and all at a 150,000 vs 192,000 for the 360 so its competitivly priced.

BillyGman
01-12-2004, 11:13 PM
on that one. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the 2005 Ford GT at all based on everything I've read about it, and all the pics too. The thing looks better than any other car on the road, and will be among the top 5 fastest TRUE production sports cars in the world. Furthermore I'm very happy that Ford is staying w/the V8 engine for all out performance atleast for now, cuz I simply cannot stand the 6 cylinder like sound of the V-10 engine. Sounds too close to a ricer to me.

I'll repeat the words I've written in a few other threads here by stating once again that nothing sounds as macho as the V8 engine growl!! All other engines IMO make a car sound like a girl's car.

Donny Carlson
01-12-2004, 11:36 PM
The shame about the GT, it's priced almost within reach, and would be even more so if the production numbers were higher. Yet with so few available, ADM will be brutal.

BillyGman
01-13-2004, 12:52 AM
you hit it right on the head w/that comment. I agree w/you 100% on that. I don't see any reason why Ford can't make a lot more of them than the stated 1500 per year. I think that's rediculous. With such an outrageously limited production they might as well not even bother w/a sticker price because it's going to be marked up by the dealers to atleast $500,000 and maybe even closer to 1 million. That's just plain insane.:mad:

junehhan
01-13-2004, 11:05 AM
I think that's where our opinions might differ. Maybe it's because i'm not familiar with the original Ford GT, but in a supercar, i'd rather have a different more higher pitched exotic engine tone, rather than a pure muscle car v8 tone. Maybe i've been brainwashed by the opinions of society on what exotic cars should be.

BillyGman
01-13-2004, 11:56 AM
I think that's where our opinions might differ. Maybe it's because i'm not familiar with the original Ford GT, but in a supercar, i'd rather have a different more higher pitched exotic engine tone, rather than a pure muscle car v8 tone. Maybe i've been brainwashed by the opinions of society on what exotic cars should be.

well I can respect those comments since you've put it that way. That's an interesting viewpoint. I think it's because up until now, the American car manufactures have failed to take the lead in setting trends, and instead have been following the lead of foreign car manufactures since the early 80's.

Now it seems w/the likes of cars like the new GT, atleast some of the American car manufactures are showing the backbone to take the lead once again, as they did in the 60's. And that's just one of the reasons why I'm so enthusiastic about the Ford GT. Did you listen to how it sounds in that video that was provided via a link in a thread on here a few months ago? The GT sounds like pure Macho. And since it is a mid-engine car, it will out handle the dodge Viper, and w/it's body style it will also look better while doing it IMO.

junehhan
01-13-2004, 10:21 PM
From what i've heard, I believe Dudge is now interested in building their own exotic supercar. If that's the case, then GM couldn't be too far behind. Maybe the American's can redefine what the true exotic supercar is all about! The GT isn't going to cause Ferrari to lose any sleep, but who knows what else might come onto the market that will directly attack some of these supercar superpowers for what their cars are worth. If Dudge really does get into the game, you can bet some warmed over variant of the Viper motor is definately going to be game. While the current GT will have 500-550hp, even cars like the new Benz AMG SL65 are pushing 612hp, with 732lb-ft of torque on a full production car which should be released later this year. If the GT is a success, maybe we can start seeing warmed over V10's, or even V12's in the game. I guess i'm just dreaming and blabbering on, but a twin turbocharged 5.9 litre Aston Martin V12 doesn't sound bad in the Ford GT if it was possible.................

BillyGman
01-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Well, to each his own Brutha....as for me, I'll still take a car w/a V8 under the hood any day. Supercar, or not. I just don't like the engine to sound like a blender on steroids, or like a high performance weed wacker, which is what the V-10 and V-12 engines sound like. Gimmie a V8 instead. my 2 cents.

TAF
01-14-2004, 05:57 AM
Well, to each his own Brutha....as for me, I'll still take a car w/a V8 under the hood any day. Supercar, or not. I just don't like the engine to sound like a blender on steroids, or like a high performance weed wacker, which is what the V-10 and V-12 engines sound like. Gimmie a V8 instead. my 2 cents.

Hopefully you and I will soon have a :beer: to that...Billy my friend:up:

BillyGman
01-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Hopefully you and I will soon have a :beer: to that...Billy my friend:up:

....sounds good to me TAF. I gave up drinking a long time ago, but I'm sure we can work something out. :)