PDA

View Full Version : UHaul Ins question?

Da Dark Jedi
07-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Back in June I purchsed a DD BMW, a week later a guy driving a UHaul truck hit it. I've sent RepWest the Ins that handles claims for damages two eye witness account (in writing by their request). Now Repwest claims they have to locate the driver and hear his side of the story. Both of my witness claims (in writing) that the driver took off at hitting the car. One witness even followed the truck to make sure he had the plate number. Repwest claims the renter of the truck has not responded to any calls from them.

Anybody have any dealing with this or the company?

thathotrodlincn
07-26-2011, 08:44 AM
File report with Police (hit and run) and with your insurance company (uninsured motorist)

Rockettman
07-26-2011, 09:05 AM
File report with Police (hit and run) and with your insurance company (uninsured motorist)

^^^^ Great advice.

ALWAYS report this kind of thing to the police. Then it's on record.

Your insurance company may decide to go after UHaul's insurance just to get their money back. Remember, they don't want to give up one damn cent of their money!

sailsmen
07-26-2011, 10:34 AM
I would only put your insurance on notice. You do not want to incurr a deductible and have an accident on your record if you do not have to. I have never seen an insurance company get 100% on subrogation.

Keep pushing the other partys insurance. After a certain number of attempts to contact the at fault and based on all the evidence you have they can pay the claim.

I collected 100% from the Drunk including a supplement to replace the refab bumper with OEM after the refab started cracking.
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71419

ctrlraven
07-26-2011, 10:41 AM
First and foremost do this ^^^. Without a police report most insurance companies will make you pay a deductible and jack up your rates.

^^^^ Great advice.

ALWAYS report this kind of thing to the police. Then it's on record.

Your insurance company may decide to go after UHaul's insurance just to get their money back. Remember, they don't want to give up one damn cent of their money!
Best way to go about it.

Years ago when I was hit by a drunk driver, I had my insurance company take the lead on the claim, they paid me for my car then went after the drunk's insurance company to get what they paid me back. If you are first name basis with your insurance broker they will pull strings for you.

rayjay
07-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Who is the insured, U Haul or the driver? I can unfortunately tell you these things take way too much time to resolve. Three days after Christmas 2009 my wife and daughter were hit head on by a DWI. They were uninjured, the car did its job and folded up around them. There was nothing to argue about, period, but this Off Brother's insurance dragged this out for 6 months. Thank God I had full coverage on a 11 year old car that was in really good shape or we would have had to take the MM out of storage and drive it that winter. The only satisfaction we received was he was convicted of DWI and fired by his employer because of it long before his insurance ever accepted responsibility. What a rackett...

yjmud
07-26-2011, 11:06 AM
both are insured
by the way uhaul is owned by ameriwest insurance

sailsmen
07-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I never file on my insurance when the other party is at fault and has either insurance or attachable assets. In most cases filing against your own insurance results in a Deductible and a Claim on your record.
People who have claims pay more for insurance than people who don't. Why take an action that will likely result in higher insurance rates when you do not have to.

rayjay
07-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I never file on my insurance when the other party is at fault and has either insurance or attachable assets. In most cases filing against your own insurance results in a Deductible and a Claim on your record.
People who have claims pay more for insurance than people who don't. Why take an action that will likely result in higher insurance rates when you do not have to.

I thought the same until the drunk took out our Passat. Our insurance paid for it (totaled) minus the deductable. As it was explained to me by them I paid to have collision, it is not required. I would have been SOL for 6 months if I went strickly with the drunk's insurance. I was reimbursed my deductable and our insurance record is clean, no at fault accidents. In fact I changed companies this year and saved a signicant amount due to being a good risk and having outstanding credit, which is what your rates are mostly based on.

sailsmen
07-26-2011, 02:58 PM
I thought the same until the drunk took out our Passat. Our insurance paid for it (totaled) minus the deductable. As it was explained to me by them I paid to have collision, it is not required. I would have been SOL for 6 months if I went strickly with the drunk's insurance. I was reimbursed my deductable and our insurance record is clean, no at fault accidents. In fact I changed companies this year and saved a signicant amount due to being a good risk and having outstanding credit, which is what your rates are mostly based on.

What I said is accurate. I got paid when the lying drunk ran into my car in exactly 7 days. If you had a claim your insurance record is not "clean". I have never seen an insurance company get back 100% on subrogation, if they do it means you should have never filed aginst your insurance to begin with.

IF you don't want the hassle or effort to collect from the other guy thats fine, in most cases it will cost you in deductible and higher insurance rates.

I had 2 non-at-fault with people who had no insurance, no assets and my rates were raised. As they should be, why should someone who had no claims pay the same as someone who had 2 claims? Why should I file on my insurance for something someonelse is liable for?

I have sued people in small claims court rather then filing against my own insurance. Insurance is too expensive to use when other people can pay.

rayjay
07-26-2011, 03:22 PM
What I said is accurate. I got paid when the lying drunk ran into my car in exactly 7 days. If you had a claim your insurance record is not "clean". I have never seen an insurance company get back 100% on subrogation, if they do it means you should have never filed aginst your insurance to begin with.

IF you don't want the hassle or effort to collect from the other guy thats fine, in most cases it will cost you in deductible and higher insurance rates.

I had 2 non-at-fault with people who had no insurance, no assets and my rates were raised. As they should be, why should someone who had no claims pay the same as someone who had 2 claims? Why should I file on my insurance for something someonelse is liable for?

I have sued people in small claims court rather then filing against my own insurance. Insurance is too expensive to use when other people can pay.

Keep in mind that each state has different insurance regulations. In NYS, if you drove without insurance and get caught, you are in deep dodo. Very costly to fix, even if by accident, say it crossed in the mail. I know because it happened to my wife, then girlfriend, in the early 90s. The state didn't care. She had to pay a fine, per day, for not being insured. Her plates and drivers license were revoked until she fixed it.

I went from Geico to Travelers and was able to get a full year policy on all three cars, full coverage, and I saved $300+ for the year. Now, if you are at fault things are quite different. I have three "incidents" on my immediate past record (5 years), all state not at fault. This info was provided by my Travelers agent. I do agree its best not to file a claim if you can avoid it. Depends on the comapny too, some are doing you a favor by insuring you ya know...

FWIW, Travelers couldn't believe that the drunks insurance company contested the accident. He was clearly at fault and I was out a paid off car... Luckily my girls only sustained bumps and bruises.

DEFYANT
07-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Start talking civil litigation and explain the costs will be higher the long they drag it out.

sailsmen
07-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Keep in mind that each state has different insurance regulations. In NYS, if you drove without insurance and get caught, you are in deep dodo. Very costly to fix, even if by accident, say it crossed in the mail. I know because it happened to my wife, then girlfriend, in the early 90s. The state didn't care. She had to pay a fine, per day, for not being insured. Her plates and drivers license were revoked until she fixed it.

I went from Geico to Travelers and was able to get a full year policy on all three cars, full coverage, and I saved $300+ for the year. Now, if you are at fault things are quite different. I have three "incidents" on my immediate past record (5 years), all state not at fault. This info was provided by my Travelers agent. I do agree its best not to file a claim if you can avoid it. Depends on the comapny too, some are doing you a favor by insuring you ya know...

FWIW, Travelers couldn't believe that the drunks insurance company contested the accident. He was clearly at fault and I was out a paid off car... Luckily my girls only sustained bumps and bruises.

My point is when some onelse is at fault the last step is to collect against your own insurance. I maintain my insurability by saving my insurance for when I mess up or natural disasters..

rayjay
07-26-2011, 06:46 PM
My point is when some onelse is at fault the last step is to collect against your own insurance. I maintain my insurability by saving my insurance for when I mess up or natural disasters..

I understand your point. In my case I would have been without a vehicle for 6 months going that route. My Geico rep talked me into filing under collision and in my case it worked out. 6 months later I got a check for my deductable and it has not increased my rates. Same as when I hit the deer with my MM in 08. No rate increase for $3.5k in damages.