PDA

View Full Version : Ford deleting CD players in new autos

MERCMAN
07-27-2011, 02:55 PM
http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=2247265&spid=1314

screamn
07-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Just goes to show that CDs are slowly become obselete.

Just when I thought I had a sizeable collection...moving on to something all about $$$.

Like the death of cassettes, 8 tracks, 33/45 vinyl.

Technology keeps progressing & gotta follow it or be lost.

jsignorelli
07-27-2011, 03:21 PM
I have 14,000+ songs in my iPod. How many CD's is that? I can carry in my car the entire song library of my youth and not make a dent in the memory of my 160 GB iPod. That's why CD playes and tape players are joining the 8-track, the reel-to-reel tape decks, and the under-dash record players (my '57 Buick Roadmaster had one of these - don't hit a bump)

ImpalaSlayer
07-27-2011, 03:24 PM
i still use cds and personally dont care for i pods so this sucks.

MrBluGruv
07-27-2011, 03:28 PM
I kinda think this would seal the deal on CDs period. It is cheaper and easier to carry an MP3 player, you can buy songs you want instead of full albums you don't.

Do I like this though? Not particularly.

If the CD really does give way to the MP3 as the dominant medium, we're going to see a HUGE shift in the music industry...

fastblackmerc
07-27-2011, 03:44 PM
I have a 30GB Zune and a 60GB music keg. Both play thru the Pioneer AVIC-D2 in the dash.

I'd suggest ripping your CD collection to MP3's.

Storage is getting cheap.... 1TB external USB hard drives are around $55.00!

You can get a 4GB USB key for around $6.99 or less. You can store and play close to 1,000 songs on that 4GB USB key.

SpartaPerformance
07-27-2011, 05:26 PM
CD's are dead. We've sold a few dozen 12 Foci in the last couple weeks and none of them had CD players and honestly I don't think anybody noticed they just plugged in there phones or mp3 players and drove off.

Bigdogjim
07-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Some time I really hate change. It seams like only a few years ago I dumped the last of 8-tracks:lol:

sailsmen
07-27-2011, 05:34 PM
My very expensive customized CD player cannot hold a candle to my $200 record player.

When I play a record my children are amazed at the sound.

It is interesting that most young people have no idea how music actually sounds. All they hear is a digitized attempt to replicate it.

Motorhead350
07-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Like the death of cassettes, 8 tracks, 33/45 vinyl.

Technology keeps progressing & gotta follow it or be lost.

Vinyl is on the come back. Where have you been?

i still use cds and personally dont care for i pods so this sucks.

I second that.

My very expensive customized CD player cannot hold a candle to my $200 record player.

When I play a record my children are amazed at the sound.

It is interesting that most young people have no idea how music actually sounds. All they hear is a digitized attempt to replicate it.

Ummmm excuse me! Vinyl is the only way to go, unless it was recorded after 1988. Even then forget about music after 1988 unless it was rap, grunge or alternative... at least in my collection.

HammerDown
07-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Some time I really hate change. It seams like only a few years ago I dumped the last of 8-tracks:lol:

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RacerX
07-27-2011, 08:23 PM
4.3 TERABYTES... High quality, full albums, but, I am a computa geek! :D In a RAID 6 array, backed up on an exact matching system and external storage.

jsignorelli
07-27-2011, 08:32 PM
I had a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT installed in the Marauder last Saturday. It plays CD's, my iPod, has HD radio, has Sirius Satellite, and 3D GPS, all on a 7 inch screen. And like I really needed it, it also plays video DVD's. All of my steering wheel controls work on it, so I really don't care if Ford doesn't offer a radio with certain to fail features.
I really don't miss the Ford radio that failed twice. It was replaced while the car still had a bumper to bumper extended warrantee. I foolishly replaced it a second time. Now I can enjoy music while I drive.

Motorhead350
07-27-2011, 08:36 PM
It's not like I'm going to get another car anyway.

sailsmen
07-27-2011, 08:37 PM
You can write as many 0000 and 1111 it still will not sound like music.

Bigdogjim
07-27-2011, 09:53 PM
4.3 TERABYTES... High quality, full albums, but, I am a computa geek! :D In a RAID 6 array, backed up on an exact matching system and external storage.

Hey say/type that in plain english! :lol:

jerrym3
07-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but, since I have no experience with the new music storage devices, if you have a device that holds 4,000 tunes, how do you go to a specific album that you feel like hearing?

fastblackmerc
07-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question, but, since I have no experience with the new music storage devices, if you have a device that holds 4,000 tunes, how do you go to a specific album that you feel like hearing?

On most devices you can play songs sorted by album, genre, artist, etc.

You can also tell most player to play random songs.

Fosters
07-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey say/type that in plain english! :lol:

I'll translate, since I'm a computer nerd for a living and have parents:

Enough space to store all 8-tracks and vinyls ever produced.

MrBluGruv
07-28-2011, 11:12 AM
You can write as many 0000 and 1111 it still will not sound like music.

Listen to audio recorded and reproduced at 192KHz sampling rate and 32-bit floating point resolution. Not your normal CD quality. ;)

Beyond that, the only thing that makes vinyl/cassettes "better" to the ears are actually their imperfections and shortcomings...

fastblackmerc
07-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I'll translate, since I'm a computer nerd for a living and live with parents:

Enough space to store all 8-tracks and vinyls ever produced.

Fixed it for you.

TFB
07-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Whaatttt??? 8-Tracks are obsolete??? Tell me it ain't so!!!

I have 40 or 50 8-T that are still playable, on my Rat Shack home player/recorder no less...

sailsmen
07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Listen to audio recorded and reproduced at 192KHz sampling rate and 32-bit floating point resolution. Not your normal CD quality. ;)

Beyond that, the only thing that makes vinyl/cassettes "better" to the ears are actually their imperfections and shortcomings...

CDs or DVDs, doesn't matter. The depth and width of the sound is not there on a digital recording. Sounds like it is coming from a metal whistle.

"Is the sound on vinyl records better than on CDs or DVDs?

The answer lies in the difference between analog and digital recordings. A vinyl record is an analog recording, and CDs and DVDs are digital recordings. Take a look at the graph below. Original sound is analog by definition. A digital recording takes snapshots of the analog signal at a certain rate and measures each snapshot with a certain accuracy .
This means that, by definition, a digital recording is not capturing the complete sound wave. It is approximating it with a series of steps. Some sounds that have very quick transitions, such as a drum beat or a trumpet's tone, will be distorted because they change too quickly for the sample rate.

In your home stereo the CD or DVD player takes this digital recording and converts it to an analog signal, which is fed to your amplifier. The amplifier then raises the voltage of the signal to a level powerful enough to drive your speaker.

A vinyl record has a groove carved into it that mirrors the original sound's waveform. This means that no information is lost. The output of a record player is analog. It can be fed directly to your amplifier with no conversion.

This means that the waveforms from a vinyl recording can be much more accurate, and that can be heard in the richness of the sound."

MrBluGruv
07-28-2011, 11:49 AM
CDs or DVDs, doesn't matter. The depth and width of the sound is not there on a digital recording. Sounds like it is coming from a metal whistle.

"Is the sound on vinyl records better than on CDs or DVDs?

The answer lies in the difference between analog and digital recordings. A vinyl record is an analog recording, and CDs and DVDs are digital recordings. Take a look at the graph below. Original sound is analog by definition. A digital recording takes snapshots of the analog signal at a certain rate and measures each snapshot with a certain accuracy .
This means that, by definition, a digital recording is not capturing the complete sound wave. It is approximating it with a series of steps. Some sounds that have very quick transitions, such as a drum beat or a trumpet's tone, will be distorted because they change too quickly for the sample rate.

In your home stereo the CD or DVD player takes this digital recording and converts it to an analog signal, which is fed to your amplifier. The amplifier then raises the voltage of the signal to a level powerful enough to drive your speaker.

A vinyl record has a groove carved into it that mirrors the original sound's waveform. This means that no information is lost. The output of a record player is analog. It can be fed directly to your amplifier with no conversion.

This means that the waveforms from a vinyl recording can be much more accurate, and that can be heard in the richness of the sound."

The thing is, a vinyl will still not have the frequency response range that even a CD will have. The ONLY plus that a vinyl might have over CD for legitimate reasons is the responsiveness of the recording, but think about this even:

The audio CD standard is 44.1KHz sample rate at 16 bit depth resolution. That means that 44,100 times every second, it looks at the amplitude of what is being input to the recorder and assigns it a level on a scale of 16. Perfectly accurate? No. Still very responsive? Heck yes. And most studios operate at a higher rate and resolution than that anyways.

That's why I say, sampling 192,000 times a second on a scale of 32 will pretty much put detail beyond the range of human hearing in terms of accuracy in recording, and you'll only hear the imperfections of the medium to actually tell it's full analog.

Motorhead350
07-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Vinyl has been digitally recorded recently. The reasoning is because using all those tapes is so expensive. The only bands that do it are U2 and most recently The Foo Fighters. So almost anything released on vinyl these days is for BS reason... because people want vinyl, but the quality will suck because someone did it with pro tools. If you want the best quality vinyl sound it must be done on tape.

They stopped doing that in around 1988 or 1987. Guns and Roses was the last major label band to really push the Analogue Mono recording. Everything else was meant to go on a digital recording for CDs.

So the age old question is what sounds better vinyl or CD? The answer depends on the year it was recording, UNLESS someone did it the right with tape like The Foo Fighters as I said. I like vinyl more and think it sounds waaaaaay better. Technology is the enemy and autotune is ruining the music.

MrBluGruv
07-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Vinyl has been digitally recorded recently. The reasoning is because using all those tapes is so expensive. The only bands that do it are U2 and most recently The Foo Fighters. So almost anything released on vinyl these days is for BS reason... because people want vinyl, but the quality will suck because someone did it with pro tools. If you want the best quality vinyl sound it must be done on tape.

They stopped doing that in around 1988 or 1987. Guns and Roses was the last major label band to really push the Analogue Mono recording. Everything else was meant to go on a digital recording for CDs.

So the age old question is what sounds better vinyl or CD? The answer depends on the year it was recording, UNLESS someone did it the right with tape like The Foo Fighters as I said. I like vinyl more and think it sounds waaaaaay better. Technology is the enemy and autotune is ruining the music.

If CDs were mastered for at least 48KHz 24-bit playback, I'd have to disagree with you at least in part, because of the playback rate of vinyl it will never have the frequency response range that the digital media have, even the way CDs are mastered now.

Motorhead350
07-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Well thats your opinion as my pervious post is mine. To me less is more. Some of my favorite recordings are 1 track and 3 track with a whole band. When the studio is set up to record live with three mics a lot more thought has to go into the recording, not just do take after take and mix accordingly per person or per instrument. Plus live get's the whole feel of a performance because it is a performance.

These days you record one thing at a time. Drums to a click track, guitar to a click track, over dub the guitar.... exc. I hate it.

Fosters
07-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Fixed it for you.

I wish... then I wouldn't be stuck in the current house 50k upside down. :o :D

MrBluGruv
07-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Well thats your opinion as my pervious post is mine. To me less is more. Some of my favorite recordings are 1 track and 3 track with a whole band. When the studio is set up to record live with three mics a lot more thought has to go into the recording, not just do take after take and mix accordingly per person or per instrument. Plus live get's the whole feel of a performance because it is a performance.

These days you record one thing at a time. Drums to a click track, guitar to a click track, over dub the guitar.... exc. I hate it.

I can totally agree with you on that. Granted there are some elements of a track that if you want a certain sound, you HAVE to overdub after the fact, but I don't see how a band of any real skill and competence wouldn't be able to record all at once for simpler songs. They would either be terrible live performers or they are working at a studio that either is ill-equipped or run by numbnuts.

My line of music is heavily technology-based though, so in my field there isn't really much choice but to track each track at a time. :/

RoyLPita
07-28-2011, 12:12 PM
I noticed that betwwen the 2010-2011 model year that the 6 cd changer got reduced to a single on the Mustang and Fusion.

Fosters
07-28-2011, 12:20 PM
If CDs were mastered for at least 48KHz 24-bit playback, I'd have to disagree with you at least in part, because of the playback rate of vinyl it will never have the frequency response range that the digital media have, even the way CDs are mastered now.

I have a friend that does some recordings on the side from his main business (surround sound systems, has a patented 64 channel system or something like that), and he uses all sorts of techniques to record the sounds independently... I think he spent about a week wiring up a grand piano with microphones for a recording once. I don't how exactly how he does what he does, but the output is amazing. I do know that he too has complained about the limitations of the CD sound format though...

The days of the hard media IMO are numbered. Within software, you're not limited by space or format constraints like you are with any media out there, so basically, the sky is the limit. I can't wait until bluray goes away too (mainly because I was one of the HD-dvd adopters :D). I do think bluray is the last hard media for movies as well...

Fosters
07-28-2011, 12:21 PM
I noticed that betwwen the 2010-2011 model year that the 6 cd changer got reduced to a single on the Mustang and Fusion.

Thank god. Ford's cd changers suck. My mustang had the only sound system that didn't play Mp3s out of the lineup of sound systems available in every other mustang for 2004. It did have a ridiculously useless cd changer though... Shaved 35 lbs by ripping it all out and putting in a high quality deck and components... :D

MrBluGruv
07-28-2011, 12:30 PM
I have a friend that does some recordings on the side from his main business (surround sound systems, has a patented 64 channel system or something like that), and he uses all sorts of techniques to record the sounds independently... I think he spent about a week wiring up a grand piano with microphones for a recording once. I don't how exactly how he does what he does, but the output is amazing. I do know that he too has complained about the limitations of the CD sound format though...

The days of the hard media IMO are numbered. Within software, you're not limited by space or format constraints like you are with any media out there, so basically, the sky is the limit. I can't wait until bluray goes away too (mainly because I was one of the HD-dvd adopters :D). I do think bluray is the last hard media for movies as well...

That kind of reminds me of another thing that not a lot of people think about when they talk about vinyl vs disc (or really any analog vs. digital argument. That argument is probably the biggest one in the synth community...):

Not everyone has access to all acoustic instrumentation you may hear on an album, most of those sounds (acoustic pianos and symphonic string sections come to mind most) come off of keyboards and rack-mount synths that have multi-sampled versions of instruments. There are some that are SOOO good out there, you wouldn't be able to tell unless you pretty much BUILT the physical version of the instrument in question.

One shining example is actually a keyboard music workstation I am absolutely salivating over and wanting to purchase, called the Korg Kronos:

UHV3rnkGt3E

I'll warn you, this demo vid is almost an hour long, but the part that I'd like to point out starts at roughly 4:50, where an INCREDIBLE jazz pianist plays and is accompanied by a drummer playing an acoustic kit sound set from a drum pad box. If you close your eyes, it'd be easy to picture an actual grand piano and drum kit being played here.

The rest of the video shows some other pretty incredible stuff as well, but it's peppered here and there between demos from other skilled musicians and technical talk. Jordan Rudess plays at the end too, he's pretty wicked on keys. :D

Motorhead350
07-28-2011, 12:53 PM
I gave that a listen and I must say I love and hate it. I love how close to sounding like actual instruments those devices are. Not impressed with the keyboard, heard that a number of times before. The drums were something else though, that's really good. I can see why this stuff would sell because the general public is so cheap about everything. These two things can save money and space because they are so small. I hate that these things are imitating instruments.... so in the end to me this is BS. Just buy the real thing and be done with it.

Here's a guy who played everything at once. You would think it's an actual band, but it's a one man band... LIVE. The sound quality might kill ya, but I like a ratty sound every now and then as long as it's fitting for the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpbISRyzbH0&feature=related

MrBluGruv
07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
I can see why this stuff would sell because the general public is so cheap about everything.

I don't think that's a very fair assessment. The availability of such quality at such a price can let talented people explore areas they wouldn't otherwise be able to explore. Not to mention some of the engines on that thing in particular can really push the envelope with sound design. The unfortunate side effect is of course that people without talent can edge their way into the game though now...

To me, the problem lies in people RELYING to technology to make good-sounding material rather than people UTILIZING technology to push their own creative limits further and further.

Motorhead350
07-28-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't think that's a very fair assessment. The availability of such quality at such a price can let talented people explore areas they wouldn't otherwise be able to explore. Not to mention some of the engines on that thing in particular can really push the envelope with sound design. The unfortunate side effect is of course that people without talent can edge their way into the game though now...

To me, the problem lies in people RELYING to technology to make good-sounding material rather than people UTILIZING technology to push their own creative limits further and further.

I completely agree with you, but I still agree with myself. ;)

MrBluGruv
07-28-2011, 01:16 PM
I completely agree with you, but I still agree with myself. ;)

lol, that works then.

:P :beer:

RacerX
07-28-2011, 02:24 PM
HA!!! MINE goes to ELEVEN!

jerrym3
07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
I have 6 CD players in my TBird retro and LS, but, unfortunately, since I contracted tinnitus in 2007, most music now sounds scratchy at certain frequencies.

Sometimes they have trouble ejecting CDs, but inserting/wiggling a credit card usually works.

Someplace in my attic, I have a reel/reel tape player/recorder and a box of tapes that I recorded off radio and TV shows (American Bandstand) back in the late 50's using a microphone pressed up against the speaker.

Love to hear them once more, but after many years in an attic, I imagine they're fried by now.

JoeBoomz
07-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Woah, yah, that's a lot of nerd there and RAID6 is a bit of overkill unless you're using 5+ drives! :D
But I agree - the last CD I used in a car was a data CD full of MP3 files....and since then it's been a USB key or SD card full of MP3's.

For home audio I would agree in the discussions about quality but in the car with the added road noise and other materials like dashboard, seats, and vibrations, 196Kbps is more than sufficient. I'm glad they're taking it out of the cars, they need to get with the times and put a USB in every vehicle instead!

RacerX
07-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Years ago I had a huge collection on a RAID5 10,000rpm lvd scsi array with no other backup. Had line protectors and big ole battery backup. Lightning hit nearby, came through the printer and it's cable. Took out two drives. :-(

jimlam56
07-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Woah, yah, that's a lot of nerd there and RAID6 is a bit of overkill unless you're using 5+ drives! :D
But I agree - the last CD I used in a car was a data CD full of MP3 files....and since then it's been a USB key or SD card full of MP3's.

For home audio I would agree in the discussions about quality but in the car with the added road noise and other materials like dashboard, seats, and vibrations, 196Kbps is more than sufficient. I'm glad they're taking it out of the cars, they need to get with the times and put a USB in every vehicle instead!
Audio books and NPR in the car for me nowadays.
My garage stereo is another story...

duhtroll
07-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Here's one for you purists to chew on.

No recording ever made qualifies as music.

Music is a human creation and therefore only is really music when it is performed live.

When you listen to a recording, you are listening to a memory of what music was at the time of creation. Sure, its fun -- but not the actual music.

If you listen to almost any modern recording you aren't even hearing a human performance, but rather an amalgam of dozens of samples mixed together and augmented digitally.

Even a "live" recording ("Hello, oxymoron department speaking...") is just a shadow of the actual performance.

I don't care how good the recording is, it is still a recording. It reminds you what the music sounded like, but it ain't music.

Go hear a band/singer live. If they sound just like the album/CD, they suck. (that one is JMO)

Support live music. (except for Ticketmaster)

RacerX
07-28-2011, 07:56 PM
And that...... was the sound of one hand clapping... ;)

MrBluGruv
07-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Music is a human creation and therefore only is really music when it is performed live.

When you listen to a recording, you are listening to a memory of what music was at the time of creation. Sure, its fun -- but not the actual music.

If you listen to almost any modern recording you aren't even hearing a human performance, but rather an amalgam of dozens of samples mixed together and augmented digitally.

Even a "live" recording ("Hello, oxymoron department speaking...") is just a shadow of the actual performance.

I don't care how good the recording is, it is still a recording. It reminds you what the music sounded like, but it ain't music.

Go hear a band/singer live. If they sound just like the album/CD, they suck. (that one is JMO)

That's not really the point. The point is, given that one cannot listen to it live, they would like the "shadow" of the performance to be as clear and realistic as possible. A performance can still generate emotions even if it isn't live right in front of you.

And that...... was the sound of one hand clapping... ;)
I know a guy that can actually do that. :rolleyes: Looks like quite a moron, but it's still hilarious to see it actually work.

Motorhead350
07-29-2011, 12:40 AM

Yeah yeah yeah it's a music recording. A CD isn't music a record isn't music, you can't see music only hear it live. I get it Mr. Smarty Pants. :P

Haggis
07-29-2011, 03:01 AM
What is all this you are all talking about. CD's, vinal, 8 tracks, cassettes; I do not understand. The only music I know is when I am popping off some 9mm, .45, 12 gauge, 30-06, 8mm and 7.62.

Fosters
07-29-2011, 09:55 AM
What is all this you are all talking about. CD's, vinal, 8 tracks, cassettes; I do not understand. The only music I know is when I am popping off some 9mm, .45, 12 gauge, 30-06, 8mm and 7.62.

Some of us use our cars for things other than drive-by's... :lol:

Joe Walsh
07-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whaatttt??? 8-Tracks are obsolete??? Tell me it ain't so!!!

I have 40 or 50 8-T that are still playable, on my Rat Shack home player/recorder no less...

I have to admit that back-in-the-day the only reason I liked 8 tracks was because you could plug in an 8 track (I preferred The Doobie Brothers; 'Captain and Me' album),
smoke a little herb*....then kick back and listen to the album which would repeat itself automatically.

*Ahem.....cough....cough.....O regano....or course!

jimlam56
07-29-2011, 10:50 AM
I have to admit that back-in-the-day the only reason I liked 8 tracks was because you could plug in an 8 track (I preferred The Doobie Brothers; 'Captain and Me' album),
smoke a little herb*....then kick back and listen to the album which would repeat itself automatically.

*Ahem.....cough....cough.....O regano....or course!
To this day I can still remember where the track changes were on certain albums...

GetMeMyStogie
07-29-2011, 11:08 AM
We've sold a few dozen 12 Foci in the last couple weeks....

Haha! Is it Foci, Focii?

screamn
07-29-2011, 11:19 AM
....then kick back and listen to the album which would repeat itself automatically.

Cassette decks had this also called "Auto Reverse"

But you are absolutely right about the continuous repeat function with the 8 tracks.

If I remember correctly, 8 track players had track 1, 2, 3, 4 and my player could lock out one or more of these numbers so that the other numbers would play continuously also. Just another function if you preferred to listen to a certain track number over and over and over.....instead of all four.

Bigdogjim
07-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Ah! Joe I like 8-tracks but for differant reasons:) If I was with someone "special" then who want to break the mood and pop in another tape....................Just let the goodtimes roll.

I remember a tape by "Rare Earth" that was really cool:cool:

Ah! the good old days.............

Joe Walsh
07-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Ah! Joe I like 8-tracks but for differant reasons:) If I was with someone "special" then who want to break the mood and pop in another tape....................Just let the goodtimes roll.

I remember a tape by "Rare Earth" that was really cool:cool:

Ah! the good old days.............

LOL.....

Yep, a turntable/LP was great, but if the evening turned out the way we hoped it would....
too much "rhythmic movement" would cause the needle to skip....:eek:

Bigdogjim
07-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Joe I could see myself getting kicked to the curb if I post anymore:lol:

Next time we meet up the :beer: is on me!!

Fosters
07-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Cassette decks had this also called "Auto Reverse"

But you are absolutely right about the continuous repeat function with the 8 tracks.

If I remember correctly, 8 track players had track 1, 2, 3, 4 and my player could lock out one or more of these numbers so that the other numbers would play continuously also. Just another function if you preferred to listen to a certain track number over and over and over.....instead of all four.

I was mesmerized as a kid when I got the first (home) tape player with auto-reverse. I'd sit staring at the tape through the little window just to see the tape start going backwards. It felt like it instantly teleported me to australia and everything was running backwards :D

jsignorelli
07-29-2011, 05:13 PM
When I bought the Fusion this year, my dealer gave me a free iPod Nano for it. It has 8 GB and holds several thousand songs. I have yet to use the CD player. Between the Sirius, HD, and iPod, who can listen to much more.
Now if someone could explain how to use the Sync radio, I'd be happy!

Bigdogjim
07-29-2011, 08:31 PM
I sing to myself when I drive.

When my wife is with me we never have any music.

You can't hear it anyway over her screaming:lol:

fastblackmerc
07-29-2011, 08:43 PM
When I bought the Fusion this year, my dealer gave me a free iPod Nano for it. It has 8 GB and holds several thousand songs. I have yet to use the CD player. Between the Sirius, HD, and iPod, who can listen to much more.
Now if someone could explain how to use the Sync radio, I'd be happy!

Try these websites:

http://www.ford.com/technology/sync/about/

https://secure.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/SupportContent/SupportHome.aspx

http://www.tvlesson.com/video/43812_how-to-use-the-ford-sync-system.html

Joe Walsh
07-29-2011, 08:47 PM
I sing to myself when I drive.

When my wife is with me we never have any music.

You can't hear it anyway over her screaming:lol:

:rofl:

OK Jim!!!......Now who is going to clean the beer and spit off of my computer monitor?

Motorhead350
07-29-2011, 09:34 PM
"She wants to have sex in the back seat. She asked me to drive."

sailsmen
07-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Listening to records is like having sex. Listening to digital is like watching someonelse having sex.

I can ignore the pops and cracks that records produce. I cannot hear what digital does not produce.

In the past few years more and more artist are going back to analog for their recordings. At great expense they are buying old equipment and having it refurbished.

You can't miss what you never knew.

duhtroll
07-30-2011, 08:42 PM
That's not really the point. The point is, given that one cannot listen to it live, they would like the "shadow" of the performance to be as clear and realistic as possible. A performance can still generate emotions even if it isn't live right in front of you.

My post was in response to all of the opinionated ones who insist that their choice of medium (analog, digital) was the "best."

As if minds are going to be changed on the in-tar-webz. I was just pointing out that all of these media are fallible, which would then follow "why are you all arguing about it?"

But now that I have had to explain it...

Motorhead350
07-31-2011, 12:03 AM
Back to Mono -Phil Spector