PDA

View Full Version : Aviator owners

Mr. Man
07-28-2011, 08:44 AM
I know someone here owns/ed one but can't remember who.

Just wondering how noisy your Lincoln is/was. Ours is the damn noisiest car I've ever owned. On start up it sounds like a pusher bus and there is a weird buzz that sounds like a steering pump or something in the steering wheel. At highway speeds (65-70) the truck generates a growly noise that also tends to vibrate the interior.

Dealer says the idlers are going bad. This maybe true but would it make that/those kind of noises?

I just ordered new rotors and pads for the rear. Did the fronts already and think I may have a sticky caliper up front. No rebuild kit available for that.:mad2:I didn't notice any leaky seals up front and I'll check the rears when I have it apart. What would a bad bearing sound like? I'd imagine more of a grinding sound or a high pitched crunchy sound.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. And yes I have considered the cliff fix:D

Was just thinking for a Lincoln it is just so noisy and wondered if your was whisper quiet like you would think a Lincoln should be.:)

Haggis
07-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Fred, I thought you just stuck your feet through the floor board to stop.

SC Cheesehead
07-28-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm thinking Barry (cruztaker) has or used to have one.

MM2004
07-28-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm thinking Barry (cruztaker) has or used to have one.

Hmmm...

I am quite certain his was a Navigator.

Mike.

SC Cheesehead
07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Hmmm...

Mike.

Well, there you go, I was thinking wrong... :cool:

Haggis
07-29-2011, 03:22 AM
Well, there you go, I was thinking wrong... :cool:

In the words of Terry; "What else is new!"

Motorhead350
07-29-2011, 03:41 AM
Hmmm...

Mike.

Naa he had an Aviator. I think it was more his wife's than his, but I maybe wrong.

SC Cheesehead
07-29-2011, 07:22 AM
In the words of Terry; "What else is new!"

True, that...

MMarauder03
07-29-2011, 09:00 AM
I have a buddy with an aviator that has had a few similar problems, I'll give him a call and see what his idea is.

rayjay
07-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Hmmm, our Lincoln is nice and quiet.

Mr. Man
07-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Hmmm, our Lincoln is nice and quiet.
That's what I would expect a Lincoln to be. Not the freight train this thing is.:shake:

Black&Gifted
07-31-2011, 01:00 AM
I have an aviator. Has the same engine as the marauder (maybe differing upper intake and cams). Mines pretty quiet (with a few squeaks and such), but the interior was dynomatted by my brother 5-6 years ago.

Mr. Man
07-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Fixed the brakes today and that got rid of a lot of the noise but still sounds like a freight train on start-up. Dealer said the fan clutches engage for a short time on start up and that is normal. My question is why would the fan come on if the engine is cold. I think I was being sold a load of horse S***.

My buddy agreed the power steering pump is a bit noisy but it seems to be working OK. Is there something that can be done to quiet it down? aside from replacing it. Fluid level is good.

Micahdogg
08-01-2011, 01:43 PM
My wife has a 2004 with 48K miles. It's not too loud. I've heard that they can develop a clunk in the rear end though.

I drive a 5.4L F150 though and the clutched fan always whirls away for a few minutes upon startup so maybe I'm just used to a loud vehicle.

Fosters
08-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I have an aviator. Has the same engine as the marauder (maybe differing upper intake and cams). Mines pretty quiet (with a few squeaks and such), but the interior was dynomatted by my brother 5-6 years ago.
Your lower intake is VERY different than the marauder's. Out of the 3 n/a dohc vehicles for these years, the Aviator drew the lucky stick; it has a variable geometry intake design, with long and short runners. Similar to the FRPP FR500 intake, but runner length is somewhat longer. Unfortunately, the upper intake is also tuned for more low end torque not so much hp, and if I'm not mistaking goes to a single bore throttle body. That also makes it a bit taller and they don't fit under the shaker of a mach, and I doubt they would fit under our hood...

If our cars and machs had that design intake, or maybe the FR500; n/a power would be much easier to attain with these motors...

They don't respond all that well to cams because of intake runner length limitations on the stock intake; and there are really very few alternatives out there... No idea what Ford was thinking :(

Micahdogg
08-02-2011, 11:30 AM
They do have a single bore 70mm TB.

They also have a serious problem with keeping COP ignitions working. So much so that Lincoln extended the warranty to 10 years or 100,000 miles on all of the vehicles - regardless if you are the original owner or not!

Mr. Man
08-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Your lower intake is VERY different than the marauder's. Out of the 3 n/a dohc vehicles for these years, the Aviator drew the lucky stick; it has a variable geometry intake design, with long and short runners. Similar to the FRPP FR500 intake, but runner length is somewhat longer. Unfortunately, the upper intake is also tuned for more low end torque not so much hp, and if I'm not mistaking goes to a single bore throttle body. That also makes it a bit taller and they don't fit under the shaker of a mach, and I doubt they would fit under our hood...

If our cars and machs had that design intake, or maybe the FR500; n/a power would be much easier to attain with these motors...

They don't respond all that well to cams because of intake runner length limitations on the stock intake; and there are really very few alternatives out there... No idea what Ford was thinking :(

The only mod I've come across is a Gibson cat back. Of course there are the push bar type things but I think Lincoln gave up on the Aviator quickly and the after market followed suit. Navigator seems to sell well enough and are nice but still a bit to pricey for a new one. Might drive this Aviator for a few years then look into a 2010-12 Nav.

Micahdogg
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Magnaflow makes exhaust. There are also lowering spring available. I have considered stuff for the wife's and you have to think some underdrive pulleys would swap over fairly easily. I know you can get a Predator (and probably XCal for it). Last but not least, the K&N drop in filter.

I plan on building a nice mandrel bent intake for hers once I get some free time, kinda like this one I did on my t-bird.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_attachment.php?id=1473