PDA

View Full Version : All Rise!

SHERIFF
01-11-2004, 04:07 PM
All rise! Court will now be in session.... :)

HAMPTON, Va. - A former sheriff's deputy faces charges he used the Hampton courthouse for after-hours sex with prostitutes.

Rayford McCummings, 49, was arrested Friday at his home and charged with three counts of soliciting prostitutes and two counts of unlawful use of a public building.

Each charge is punishable by up to a year in jail or a $2,500 fine, or both.

McCummings resigned Tuesday shortly after a Hampton police detective told McCummings' boss he was investigating a complaint that the deputy had brought prostitutes to the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Courthouse and paid them for sexual favors.

McCummings didn't give a reason for resigning, said sheriff's department spokesperson Col. Karen Bowden.

Police said McCummings had keys to the building. The alleged sexual contact occurred in an office with a couch that adjoins a courtroom, according to police.

One of the prostitutes went to police Jan. 6 and complained, prompting the investigation, authorities said.

McCummings joined the sheriff's office in July 1993.

jgc61sr2002
01-11-2004, 04:38 PM
If he was a civilian it would be a slap on the wrist. As a Police Officer he would have lost his job anyway so he opted to resign. Once a Police Officer pins on his/her shield they are held to a higher standard the civilians. The best he can hope for is no jail time. He should have known better. A case of thinking with the wrong head.

DetGeno
01-11-2004, 07:42 PM
No comment!

martyo
01-11-2004, 07:49 PM
McCummings was his name? Are you sure??? Does anyone else see what I see??? I need a nap.....

SergntMac
01-12-2004, 03:37 AM
Any lateral liability for the county here? Was the deputy tempted or enticed into this misconduct? Perhaps the county purchased a sleeper sofa?

TripleTransAm
01-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by martyo
McCummings was his name? Are you sure??? Does anyone else see what I see??? I need a nap.....

I think you're reading way too much into this, Marty.

I called the office mentioned in the original post to try and get more info and spoke to a mr. Dover, first name Ben. He forwarded me to a liason officer named Hugh Jarse, who told me this story was true and authentic.

SHERIFF
01-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Here's my thought on the subject...... a deputy doing something like this in is "work venue" is no different than a police officer tagging somebody in the back seat of a patrol car. If they were all fired, there were be a 95% vacany rate in police departments nationwide. :)