PDA

View Full Version : Avoided death today, very scary accident!

Motorhead350
08-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I was out driving on I-88 in Beckys Mercury Mountaineer. We are going around 60mph in the middle lane and all of the sudden we see a red Porsche driving in the left shoulder doing the same speed, but AGAINST traffic. He decides to turn into traffic and hit a Toyota Corolla head on. The Toyota was in the left lane and the impact was so great it sent both cars in the air. The Porsche's rear end was sky high, probably at a 45 degree angle and when it landed it fell into my lane. I quickly, but calmly jerked the wheel to the right and got into another lane then the shoulder. There was a mini van behind us and he wasn't so lucky, but wasn't hurt. He hit the Porsche and we both pulled off the road together.

I was slow to check out what happened when I got out because I'm a total wimp when it comes to looking at gore. To my surprise there wasn't any. I walked over to the cars and by then there were a few people checking up on the people in the crash. I looked at the driver of the Porsche and he was still alive. People were talking to him, but he wasn't saying anything. He was in his early to mid 20s and in great shape. I am assuming he was on drugs, drunk, suicidal or all of the above. When I went to look at him, he gave me a very depressing look. Not like he was depressed, but it kinda hurt me. It's the look someone gives you when you found someone that sees eye to eye on things... I can't quite explain it. He looked like he was from Europe and I had a Sex Pistols shirt on, maybe he liked them too... who knows.

I got to the Toyota and the driver was stuck in the car. His passengers died in the car. So this poor guy is stuck in his car with two dead people. He looked okay, but I was told he might have broken his leg. Someone told the police they saw a smile on the driver of the Porsche as he was going the wrong way before the sudden impact, like he was laughing as he was trying to kill himself.

Becky and I are fine, but one thing really scared us. We had an engine lift in the back, fully taken apart for transport. So if we hit that car, all the metal would have come though our front seats and we would have been goners.

Stay safe out there people.

Timw286
08-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Glad you two are ok!

Motorhead350
08-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Let's see if the pics got bigger....

+Porsche.

bigmerc281
08-06-2011, 10:01 PM
crazy story bro. glad to hear that you two made it out ok

slickster
08-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Wow what a messed up thing. That's why I got a 07 suburban for my wife to drive with my 2 year old. That m f should of died I would of walk up to him in his mangald car and give him a jaw shot

Chayton
08-06-2011, 11:15 PM
I was out driving on I-88 in Beckys Mercury Mountaineer. We are going around 60mph in the middle lane and all of the sudden we see a red Porsche driving in the left shoulder doing the same speed, but AGAINST traffic. He decides to turn into traffic and hit a Toyota Corolla head on. The Toyota was in the left lane and the impact was so great it sent both cars in the air. The Porsche's rear end was sky high, probably at a 45 degree angle and when it landed it fell into my lane. I quickly, but calmly jerked the wheel to the right and got into another lane then the shoulder. There was a mini van behind us and he wasn't so lucky, but wasn't hurt. He hit the Porsche and we both pulled off the road together.

I was slow to check out what happened when I got out because I'm a total wimp when it comes to looking at gore. To my surprise there wasn't any. I walked over to the cars and by then there were a few people checking up on the people in the crash. I looked at the driver of the Porsche and he was still alive. People were talking to him, but he wasn't saying anything. He was in his early to mid 20s and in great shape. I am assuming he was on drugs, drunk, suicidal or all of the above. When I went to look at him, he gave me a very depressing look. Not like he was depressed, but it kinda hurt me. It's the look someone gives you when you found someone that sees eye to eye on things... I can't quite explain it. He looked like he was from Europe and I had a Sex Pistols shirt on, maybe he liked them too... who knows.

I got to the Toyota and the driver was stuck in the car. His passengers died in the car. So this poor guy is stuck in his car with two dead people. He looked okay, but I was told he might have broken his leg. Someone told the police they saw a smile on the driver of the Porsche as he was going the wrong way before the sudden impact, like he was laughing as he was trying to kill himself.

Becky and I are fine, but one thing really scared us. We had an engine lift in the back, fully taken apart for transport. So if we hit that car, all the metal would have come though our front seats and we would have been goners.

Stay safe out there people.

Oh my god :eek: Its good to hear you are all right. That sounds very tragic. May the innocent people who had their lives taken r.i.p. Thats horrible:alone:

Motorhead350
08-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Here's the article....

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/2-Killed-in-Wrong-Way-Crash-on-I-88-127088278.html

Papillon
08-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Dude?! How the H*!! was the driver of the Porsche even able to walk away from that?!! :eek:

Motorhead350
08-07-2011, 02:15 PM
The passenger side of his car was damaged the most. I guess that's the only way to explain it. Still that's like 120mph collision.

loud2004marquis
08-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Glad to hear you guys avoided that.

Just totalled my grand marquis in march and know aobut accidents!

ImpalaSlayer
08-07-2011, 02:33 PM
damn dude. you are never quite the same after you watch someone die.

TAKEDOWN
08-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Someone else paying for someone else's stupidity, that's f***ed up!

drobin
08-07-2011, 06:16 PM
You and your wife are lucky beyond belief. I hope you don't have any serious flash backs, but I wouldn't be surprised...

drobin

Motorhead350
08-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Also we heard the driver of the Porsche was throwing money out of his car before the impact.... very strange.

ChiTownMaraud3r
08-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Dom, this is crazy. The older folks in the corolla died according to the article.

Motorhead350
08-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Looks like Becky and I might be on NBC tonight at 10pm. They stopped by and interviewed us.

We knew the people were dead because they didn't have a pulse when we walked over.

da'law
08-07-2011, 07:39 PM
If the driver of the Porshe survives we will get the (dis)pleasure :( of babysitting him until his case is concluded. I can see he will be a joy :mad: to babysit for the next probably 2-3 years.

Motorhead350
08-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Jeff, you mean he's going to be at your station?

wickedmerc
08-07-2011, 08:16 PM
WOW! These stories scare the crap outta me. Sounds like you got real lucky there. Time to count those blessings.

I worry every time my wife leaves with the kids in our SUV...and she's an awesome driver. Like the guy said a little earlier, we have an Acadia to help protect my family from the miriad of stupidity we see daily. Not to go off-roading.

Be safe out there.....indeed!

da'law
08-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Yep, if he lives.

Jeff, you mean he's going to be at your station?

ChiTownMaraud3r
08-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Oh wow somehow I missed that part Dom.
I didn't catch the whole story but I did see you guys on the news at 10 for a bit.

massacre
08-08-2011, 05:29 AM
That's what happens when bi-polar people go off their meds.

Motorhead350
08-08-2011, 08:48 PM
That's what happens when bi-polar people go off their meds.

"They drug you up because their lazy, its too much work to help a crazy."

zee628
08-09-2011, 10:17 AM
They never released any info on the driver of the porsche!

dohc324ci
08-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Life is precious cherish it Dom.

Haggis
08-10-2011, 04:19 AM
You should have ran up to the driver of the Porsche and asked if he was ok. If he said 'yes' you should have then punched him in the face.

BigCars4Ever
08-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I hope he gets two counts of manslaughter at least.

hot-rauder
08-12-2011, 05:05 PM
I hope you didn't move the driver of the corolla that lived. Regardless of his pronounced or appearing status, they are considered high priority for transport and care. If the impact killed someone int eh car, you can't assume the living are fine by any means. Usually a steering wheel will reak havoc on the internals with that kind of impact. Just thought id share from an EMTs point of view for future knowledge

sanco
08-13-2011, 04:28 PM
wwwwwwwwooooooooooooowwwwwwwww www no ***** way!!! i remember watching this on the news and i just couldn't believe it! glad you are ok Dom, that was a hell of an accident. now we have an ******* that took 2 lives because he failed to off himself.

what a shame...well at least they will LOVE him in prison, hope the guards don't hear his screams every night!

Motorhead350
08-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Just found out the guy was a dentist. The guy in the Porsche.