PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

sailsmen
08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
There is only one thing to do LEAVE. The minimum distance in land between you and a hurricane to be reasonably safe is 250 miles from the coast.

Do not go to a Public Shelter.

A hurricane is not a uniform wall of energy. There are blasts of energy that occurr with no pattern. If you stay you may be ok but if you get hit by a blast you will not be ok.

There is no reason to stay.

Bigdogjim
08-24-2011, 01:58 PM
I am just Northeast of Phila. by about 40 miles. I am staying put!

I know you trying to help but I say bring it on!!

Been there done that!

ImpalaSlayer
08-24-2011, 02:03 PM
there aint much left of a hurricane by the time they get here

Bigdogjim
08-24-2011, 02:07 PM
there aint much left of a hurricane by the time they get here

I don't think they are 100% sure of the track. Some models have it slamming into Phila. If that is the case then I will be gone:run:

I call the insurance company when I return.

Cobra25
08-24-2011, 02:27 PM
In the past down in florida Hurricane's like this one have the last second turned, but just keep a eye on it . Some of us in florida are watching it carefully because we learned from the past.

JoeBoomz
08-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Nothing is set in stone yet, you never know what will really happen. It could be really bad, or it could be minor.

However I wish you all the best and I'm hoping for the latter.

Bigdogjim
08-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Looking now as 9:30PM it staying off shore. Lookes like it will clip Long Island, NY and hit the Mainland in Southern Ct. heading for Boston Ma., then the State of Maine.

Not good but at least it's not a Nor'easter, which are the most destructive:mad:

Mr. Man
08-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Have to dig out the long board

Cheeseheadbob
08-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Please post some pics after your surfing adventure this week-end!!! I would imagine that you will be using a VERY long board...:D
Have to dig out the long board

CBT
08-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Have to dig out the wide board

You surf? :D

Haggis
08-25-2011, 08:47 AM

Table surfs at the buffet.

Bigdogjim
08-25-2011, 09:29 AM

Ok score one for the Haggis:lol: :lol: :rofl:

Mr. Man
08-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Please post some pics after your surfing adventure this week-end!!! I would imagine that you will be using a VERY long board...:D

Ok score one for the Haggis:lol: :lol: :rofl:Oh when jealousy rears it's ugly head. Beach bunny Ms. D and I say :razz: to you mooks. Cowabunga Dudes

MrBluGruv
08-25-2011, 10:38 AM
The last tropical storm that was bearing down on Texas was almost laughable. It was all hyped up, it was the first serious system we'd seen this year, then as you watched the radar, it hit the coastline and just disappeared entirely. It's like one frame it was there, the next it never existed. It would've been funnier if we really didn't need the rain...

CBT
08-25-2011, 11:27 AM
High winds? Heavy seas?

Hi, sailor! :wave:

Bigdogjim
08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
High winds? Heavy seas?

Hi, sailor! :wave:
Just remember one thing sailor I am not a CVN or BB :) I am on dry land(till the rain starts:help:)

Bigdogjim
08-25-2011, 12:43 PM
The last tropical storm that was bearing down on Texas was almost laughable. It was all hyped up, it was the first serious system we'd seen this year, then as you watched the radar, it hit the coastline and just disappeared entirely. It's like one frame it was there, the next it never existed. It would've been funnier if we really didn't need the rain...

I keep an eye on the track, this one first was heading for Fl. then to the SC,NC and now hugging the Coast and making land on the edge of NJ and running into Long Island, NYC, then Southern CT., and into Boston and the State of Maine as TD.

Remember it ain't over till it's over:)

Bigdogjim
08-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Well now the Weather Channel is referring to Hurricane Irene as a once in a lifetime storm. New Jersey is already evacuating parts of the Shore, Cape May County starting tomorrow at 8AM will evacuate 800,000 people! :eek:

The is going to be the Storm of the century for the Eastern Seaboard.

New York has now had a hurricane since 1893.

Papillon
08-25-2011, 05:46 PM
I have our "Go Bag" ready and ready to :run:

CBT
08-25-2011, 06:16 PM
I have our "Go Bag" ready and ready to :run:

My go bag is always ready. Zing.

Ladyhawke
08-25-2011, 06:25 PM
My colostomy bag is always ready. Zing.

***Fixed***

-Gordon

knine
08-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Just remember one thing sailor I am not a CVN or BB :) I am on dry land(till the rain starts:help:)
good to know i'm safe in the shower

Haggis
08-26-2011, 03:49 AM
Remember to pack up tp, bread, can goods and ammo.

thathotrodlincn
08-26-2011, 03:54 AM
Ss of this AM, expected landfall as category @ storm is near Morehead City, NC. projected track takes it slightly West of my location on the coast. Should be interesting!!

CBT
08-26-2011, 03:56 AM
Ss of this AM, expecter landfall is Morehead city. projected track takes it slightly West of my location on the coast. Should be interesting!!
Stay safe! :beer:

Pat
08-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Even though you may not be in the direct path of "Irene" the power outages, blocked roads, fallen trees, traffic congestion, looting, can adversely effect you. Be prepared with water, food, generators, gas, meds etc, etc. Flooding can lay waste to your home so don't be complacent if your area is even remotely flood prone. Protect your import papers and assets (send your Marauder to me, no rain here)

Life as you know it may not come back for days or weeks due to the magnitude. This is not a local storm but multi-state in the dense population area of the east coast.

Resupply and reconstruction will be a trying experience me thinks. Think "Katrina".

CBT
08-26-2011, 04:01 AM
Even though you may not be in the direct path of "Irene" the power outages, blocked roads, fallen trees, traffic congestion, looting, can adversely effect you.

I don't see looting adversely affecting me as much as it will the looters. :cool:

CBT
08-26-2011, 04:44 AM
good to know i'm safe in the shower

....or ARE you....

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24 153&d=1302700093 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24 153&d=1302700093)

CBT
08-26-2011, 04:51 AM
The Dismal Swamp has been burning for months smokin' up the entire area, then we can haz earthquake, now we go to threat level Chuck Norris because of Irene. End Times.

fastblackmerc
08-26-2011, 05:19 AM
The Dismal Swamp has been burning for months smokin' up the entire area, then we can haz earthquake, now we go to threat level Chuck Norris because of Irene. End Times.

Maybe the hurricane will put out the fire?

dakslim
08-26-2011, 05:31 AM
Oh when jealousy rears it's ugly head. Beach bunny Ms. D and I say :razz: to you mooks. Cowabunga Dudes

Ha! Good to see they are picking on someone else for a change.:D Seriously, all stay safe. It's cloudy here in the Sandhills of NC but no rain as yet.

Mr. Man
08-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Ha! Good to see they are picking on someone else for a change.:D Seriously, all stay safe. It's cloudy here in the Sandhills of NC but no rain as yet.
FBM said it's sunny as could be. Must be your cataracts Phil:D;)

Blackened300a
08-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Im putting the Marauder on jackstands in case the garage floods. Otherwise Im not too worried about anything. The NY media is screaming the end of days over here to cover themselves from the snow storm they were way off on last year.

Bigdogjim
08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
This storm is a GIANT! The other day it was 800 miles across:mad: The the distance from Atlantic City, NJ to Indy.In. Watch out.

I am heading out now to do a wedding in South Jersey:) Bet this Bride & Groom never forget their wedding day :hug2:

Papillon
08-26-2011, 10:29 AM
I'm with you Jim! Prepare for the worst, (even if Paul thinks it's nothing :rolleyes:).

NYU was ordered to evacuate their patients. My department in my hosp it putting forth their contingency plan. Patients have been cancelled for Monday.

http://shankell.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/yikes.jpg

Papillon
08-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Seems pretty harsh. Cancelling patients. My wife just changes the appointments. ;)

:rolleyes: You know what I mean! :P

Mr. Man
08-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Board is waxed and ready to go. Now if I can only find my Greek thong bathing suit. I hated the wet suits.:cool:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSbnw5tJFIO bxVIiQGS4mEAgjFUNxj2aOlz8RD0Dl SZ3JOgPcDQg
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq1gIQC3uWr 2MILa5M_56qpRhFpu7qs_tm26Ae8Ia 60-Rxfd4pqw
Ms. D and I on our trip to Hawaii in 2003:rolleyes:

sailsmen
08-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Good Luck. IF you can leave do so.

I could write a book of horros about family members and friends who had to stay becasue it was their job.

If you can LEAVE!

Papillon
08-26-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm about to head west to Hershey and start the MV9 festivities early because of stinkin Irene! :depress:

thathotrodlincn
08-26-2011, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=CBT;1083867]I don't see looting adversely affecting me as much as it will the looters. :cool:[/QUOT

There will be no live looters in my neighbourhood thanks to my well armed neighbours/

ShadyLurker
08-26-2011, 01:32 PM
I've lived at or below sea level my whole life. Anything above a catagory 2 i'd leave. The storm is moving pretty fast and will fall apart in the cooler water. I hate how the media hypes everything up. This storm wont be much worse than a Nor Easter.

Papillon
08-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Just heard on the news that "unprededented" mandatory evacuations of some NYC boroughs is underway. Is this the entire borough or just the low areas? Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx seem the likely evacuees.

Coney Island Hospital, Staten Island Univ Hosp, NYU Medical Center are all being evacuated. The Rockaways in Queens/Brooklyn and in all low lying area are being evacuated (everything in orange) - http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/downloads/pdf/hurricane_map_english.pdf

Kinda scary.

SC Cheesehead
08-26-2011, 02:18 PM
My daughter and son-in-law in Wilmington, NC are getting hit, but I don't know how hard yet. Lisa's keeping me posted.

They've gone inland a few miles to stay with the in-laws as they're on higher ground.

RacerX
08-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Hmmmm... Not going to Squam Lake this weekend after all... I knew I should have taken that 40ft tall Oak tree next to my house down... :(

sailsmen
08-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Oak trees are recommended in hurricane areas, having said that 140 miles inland and Gustav felled several trees. The fell all around us but none on the camp. It sounded like a freigth train went through your house. The next day I went out with my tonkatoy chain saw at 7:00am and what was errie was the only sound was my chainsaw. This is in a rural area with lots of tractors, loaders, etc. Then at 8:30am I heard the sound of Stihl chain saws and a tractor. The 4WD I had could not pull anything, but that tractor pulled trees with ease.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/GustavwBarnes_006.jpg

dakslim
08-26-2011, 04:01 PM
We had a little wind and about 10 min. of rain but that's it.

jimlam56
08-26-2011, 07:05 PM
Good Luck Guys, hurricanes are not fun, ask us Florida guys that have been through a few.
I expect NYC will be a mess on Monday,,,

Mr. Man
08-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Can't wait for daybreak:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbRKfieMsdQ

Bigdogjim
08-26-2011, 08:51 PM
I've lived at or below sea level my whole life. Anything above a catagory 2 i'd leave. The storm is moving pretty fast and will fall apart in the cooler water. I hate how the media hypes everything up. This storm wont be much worse than a Nor Easter.

65 million people are in the path of the hurricane. I know lots of people who have hunkered down and rode out a hurricane. So what? It is the storm surge and very large size of the storm that is the big problem. Rain bands are almost 250 miles ahead of the storm. Moving at about 14 MPH that a huge amout of rain falling, August is now the wettest month on record even before Irene drops one drop of rain, ground is saturated and flooding will cause major problems, now add the shear numbers of people all in a City and the problem is catastropic. NYC is shutting down the complete mass tranist system..... that will take almost 8 hours....Never been down before in the history of the City. Metro NYC area is almost 11 million, metro Phila is near 5.5 million(I think)

Also a Nor'Easter is tha most destructive storm that can hit the area.

This is no hype. It also is not the "end of days" :help:

Me I am as ready as I can be.

Checklist....Beer, munchies:), plenty of food for beagles buddies:), batterys for flashlights, can think of anything else.:burnout:

Mr. Man
08-26-2011, 09:59 PM
65 million people are in the path of the hurricane. I know lots of people who have hunkered down and rode out a hurricane. So what? It is the storm surge and very large size of the storm that is the big problem. Rain bands are almost 250 miles ahead of the storm. Moving at about 14 MPH that a huge amount of rain falling, August is now the wettest month on record even before Irene drops one drop of rain, ground is saturated and flooding will cause major problems, now add the shear numbers of people all in a City and the problem is catastrophic. NYC is shutting down the complete mass transit system..... that will take almost 8 hours....Never been down before in the history of the City. Metro NYC area is almost 11 million, metro Philly is near 5.5 million(I think)

Also a Nor'easter is the most destructive storm that can hit the area.

This is no hype. It also is not the "end of days" :help:

Checklist....Beer, munchies:), plenty of food for beagles buddies:), batterys for flashlights, can think of anything else.:burnout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGYC5Kyq9U Cowabunga YeeHa:banana::banana:

SC Cheesehead
08-27-2011, 04:54 AM

Ice for the beer.

Nothing worse than sitting in the dark, drinking warm beer, riding out a hurricane...;)

dakslim
08-27-2011, 05:00 AM
Board is waxed and ready to go. Now if I can only find my Greek thong bathing suit. I hated the wet suits.:cool:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSbnw5tJFIO bxVIiQGS4mEAgjFUNxj2aOlz8RD0Dl SZ3JOgPcDQg
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTq1gIQC3uWr 2MILa5M_56qpRhFpu7qs_tm26Ae8Ia 60-Rxfd4pqw
Ms. D and I on our trip to Hawaii in 2003:rolleyes:

Eric, you still can't find your thong, I guess.:P
http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Slideshows/_production/ss-110825-hurricane-irene/ss-110826-hurricane-irene-05.grid-5x2.jpg

ImpalaSlayer
08-27-2011, 08:24 AM
i moved all my girls (and some ex's) into an empty field away from anything that might fall on them
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/blaster250cr/IMG_2965.jpg

Ms. Denmark
08-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Good luck and stay safe, Dave!

guspech750
08-27-2011, 08:36 AM
i moved all my girls (and some ex's) into an empty field away from anything that might fall on them
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/blaster250cr/IMG_2965.jpg

Whatcha do'n with the Marauder??? Hmmmmmm...

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

ImpalaSlayer
08-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Kirk dropped it off a few weeks ago for a few repairs. between him being out of town and me waiting for parts and now the weather, i havent been able to get it back to him.

SC Cheesehead
08-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Kirk dropped it off a few weeks ago for a few repairs. between him being out of town and me waiting for parts and now the weather, i havent been able to get it back to him.

Shucks, thought you'd re-entered the Collective... ;)

ImpalaSlayer
08-27-2011, 08:50 AM

not yet Rex, i may one day if i can find a decent roller to build what i really want to.

TFB
08-27-2011, 08:51 AM
My stuff is safely(hopefully)tucked away in the garage, I even borrowed some space for my '88 T-Bird from one of the neighbors that has to man the power plant at the Northwest Naval Annex facility(prison) here in southern Chesapeake...

Still my '93 Lightning and '98 Grand Marquis are out in the weather...

guspech750
08-27-2011, 08:53 AM

I thought the same.

---
- Sent from my iPhone

Bigdogjim
08-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Ice for the beer.

Nothing worse than sitting in the dark, drinking warm beer, riding out a hurricane...;)

Hey Rex ever heard of a generator? Works everytime:beer:

guspech750
08-27-2011, 12:00 PM

I just saw new propane powered generators. No need to goto a closed up gas station. Propane tanks are everywhere.

---
- Sent from my iPhone

F8LBITEva
08-27-2011, 12:32 PM
the marauder is tucked away in the garage, got plenty of beer, vodka,mixer, snacks, degiornos pizza, sandwich meat and bread, bottled water and a couple movies from Redbox! I'm gonna wait it out in my condo. Good luck everyone

SC Cheesehead
08-27-2011, 12:36 PM
:confused:

A generator in your beer will keep it cold? :confused:

Oh, gotcha. Yup, good point. :D

I had my house wired for a generator connection this Spring, more so for winter power outages than anything else. Anybody got recommendations for brand, size, etc? I'm going to start shopping in a couple weeks.

1stMerc
08-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Ice for the beer.

That's when you wanna drink warm beer. You get to feelin no pain quicker :beatnik:

SC Cheesehead
08-27-2011, 02:18 PM
That's when you wanna drink warm beer. You get to feelin no pain quicker :beatnik:

Hmmmm, then again, I never had an issue with warm beer (having any get warm on me, that is...). :drink:

PonyUP
08-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Hmmmm, then again, I never had an issue with warm beer (having any get warm on me, that is...). :drink:

What is this warm beer that people speak of?

SC Cheesehead
08-27-2011, 02:26 PM

We're all worried that BDJ was gonna get trapped in the hurricane with nothing but warm beer to drink, but it turns out he has an auxilliary generator to keep it cold.

The issue then becomes "do I have enough?"

finster101
08-27-2011, 02:29 PM
We're all worried that BDJ was gonna get trapped in the hurricane with nothing but warm beer to drink, but it turns out he has an auxilliary generator to keep it cold.

The issue then becomes "do I have enough?"

Thats the dumbest thing I have ever seen you post! When is there ever too much? :beer:

jabird56
08-27-2011, 02:47 PM
WELL! We're hunkering down here at the house. Got beer, wine, fixin's for Pina Coladas, and some food somewhere. If we lose power, I'll be able to switch to generator power within a couple of minutes. Have a 13kw unit that will serve the entire house except for the oven. If we need and oven we can always use the oven on-board our camper. The MM in cozy in the garage.

We're back in the woods where the hard wood trees are shielding us pretty good. We're getting some pretty good rain squaws on and off, and the wind has picked up somewhat here over the last hour or so.

We'll be starting our hurricane party here shortly.

Everybody stay SAFE.

Earthquake, Tropical Storm Warnings, what's next....a blizzard? :burnout:

Commodore Crap
08-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Good luck folks!
I'm just going to enjoy this non-hurricane, beautiful, Buffalo summer. Speaking of which, I have a BBQ to get to shortly.
Ciao.

-ryan s.

(Don't forget to take pics/vids)

Bigdogjim
08-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Me thinks poor Rex is in England? :eek::shake:

sailsmen
08-27-2011, 02:56 PM
The English drink warm beer becasue they have Lucas refrigerators

PonyUP
08-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Thats the dumbest thing I have ever seen you post! When is there ever too much? :beer:

I concur, that's like when someone is pouring and beer and they tell you " say when", as if I would ever say when

jabird56
08-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Well we just lost shore power and we're now running on generator power. Got enough gas for 3 days of use.

Depending on the rain/cloud density, I have lost internet connection randomly this afternoon with internet via satellite connection.

Direct TV has been running without any weather outages today,....so far.

PARTY!

:beer::beer::party:

jerrym3
08-27-2011, 04:45 PM
7:30 pm in north Jersey, and all is quiet (yet).

I've tied down or removed everything from my deck, and rerouted one drain pipe.

But, I don't have a weapon, so I guess I'm in deep sh+t when the looters arrive.

Shaijack
08-27-2011, 05:15 PM
jerryM3 you can throw empty beer cans at them. Rex there is always a room here for you and Terry. I have a generator, natural gas. 50 KW. I hope all turns out good and no one is injured. Been there and still fighting the insurance.

Pat
08-27-2011, 05:33 PM
The eye of Irene is just a few mile east of the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay (Cape Charles lighthouse) at 8:30 EDT. according to the Satellite image on NOAA web site.

Blackened300a
08-27-2011, 05:44 PM
That's my preparation.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/blackened300a/459b9fb3.jpg

Im not worried and could care less. Im on the 5th floor and the Marauder is over a foot off the ground in a garage.

Ms. Denmark
08-27-2011, 05:53 PM
That's my preparation.

Im not worried and could care less. Im on the 5th floor and the Marauder is over a foot off the ground in a garage.Looks like you're all set. You and Voula stay safe!!

Bigdogjim
08-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Still in a rain mode as of 10:45 PM Saturday night, ugly stuff i arriving around 2-3 AM Sunday morning:mad: Hammer's of hell rain and lots of wind.......Sunday afternoon the sun will be shinning:up:

Stay safe, stay dry.

Ms. Denmark
08-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Still in a rain mode as of 10:45 PM Saturday night, ugly stuff i arriving around 2-3 AM Sunday morning:mad: Hammer's of hell rain and lots of wind.......Sunday afternoon the sun will be shinning:up:

Stay safe, stay dry. Hang in Jim!

TFB
08-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Well knock on wood, looks like we're through the worst of the storm here in the Norfolk/Va Beach area... I'm excited cause I still have power, it was out for three days after Isabel in '03....

Zim Hosein
08-27-2011, 08:25 PM
That's my preparation.

Im not worried and could care less. Im on the 5th floor and the Marauder is over a foot off the ground in a garage.

I'm not worried about the apartment where I live as I'm in Zone B on the 1st floor, but I did have to move the Marauder from the indoor garage this afternoon since it's street level and on the boarder of Zones A&B. :mad2:

jabird56
08-28-2011, 03:57 AM
Well we're coming out of the very tail end of IRENE, weather should break here in the next few hours. Still have light rain here and will be jumping on the ATV to go around and do a quick assessment of out property and surrounding area. I see ALOT of leaves and small branches on the ground around the house here this morning. Current temp here in Southern MD is a cool 68, humidity is still up in the high 50s. And yes, we're still on generator power.

Pat
08-28-2011, 04:45 AM
The eye is over manhatten now. Forward speed has picked up to 18 MPH from a low of 13 MPH yesterday. Winds are still at 75 but should be falling when Irene gets tangled up in the tall buildings Like a mountain range I would imagine.

Mr. Man
08-28-2011, 05:49 AM
At our house on the river, there is usually a road, then more of our property directly on the river....then the river. Less property, no road.. but we got more river!

Mr. Man
08-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Water is still rising at this time. Put the T up on the yard. Will need to move the Aviator as the water is lapping at the back tires...

sailsmen
08-28-2011, 06:04 AM
The eye is over manhatten now. Forward speed has picked up to 18 MPH from a low of 13 MPH yesterday. Winds are still at 75 but should be falling when Irene gets tangled up in the tall buildings Like a mountain range I would imagine.

Actually the wind in parts of Manhattan will increase as some of the buildings act like a funnel. I knew a guy with a bad leg who would have to take different routes to walk near the Twins when it was windy or he would not be able to make it back to the office on foot.

jabird56
08-28-2011, 06:07 AM
We have one tree down just along our property line,...easy access by road.

One neighbor up front had big tree come down over our main road out last night. Two neighbors back by me cut it up and moved it out of the way by BULLDOZER early this morning. A few other neighbors up front also have a few trees down but luckily no structure damage.

Neighbors that own Chesapeake Ice were into their warehouse this morning (after the tree was moved), and are delivery ice this morning to clients that have power. One of their trucks is down south of us in St. Marys County, and called back saying that area looks like a war zone.

Blackened300a
08-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Woke up this morning with all my power still on and a few leaves blown around the parking lot and the rain has stopped.

Thats about it.

jabird56
08-28-2011, 06:18 AM
Woke up this morning with all my power still on and a few leaves blown around the parking lot and the rain has stopped.

Thats about it.

Just saw on the news that your power company up there is considering shutting down power if their substations and other subsystems are threatened by flooding.

dakslim
08-28-2011, 06:32 AM
Beautiful sunny day here in Pinehurst, NC so take heart, it'll be over soon.

jabird56
08-28-2011, 06:33 AM
woo woo, i can see the sun! :)

Windows are open, cool breeze inbound.

irish
08-28-2011, 07:34 AM
all is well here in sayreville nj, we did have voluntary evacuation warning but we sat it out. Yes, some gusty winds & heavy rains, but all in all not as bad as expected. I drove around Sat. morning looking for a parking space that did not have any trees around it, fortunately I did find a space about a block away, & still felt uneasy cause I couldn't look out my window & see her. Went back this morning & all was well. :beer:

1stMerc
08-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Hey Mr. Man, what does that look like under normal conditions?

Ms. Denmark
08-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Normally looks like this Waymon...

MM03MOK
08-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Lost local power around 10:10am while I was at church. Came home and got the generator going. Very little rain last night and so far today. We're on the edge of the rain bands. Storm surges are the biggest concern, coastal flooding, etc. as Tropical Storm Irene continues her Northeast track.

SC Cheesehead
08-28-2011, 09:22 AM

You mis-read!

I agree! There is never too much, I was worried about BDJ having sufficient quantity on hand to ride out the storm.

Like the ol' saying goes, if a little is good, a whole lot more is better... :D

Blackened300a
08-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Just saw on the news that your power company up there is considering shutting down power if their substations and other subsystems are threatened by flooding.

Maybe in Manhattan. Right now there is no rain and the skies are clearing.

MM03MOK
08-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Lost local power around 10:10am while I was at church. Came home and got the generator going. Very little rain last night and so far today. We're on the edge of the rain bands. Storm surges are the biggest concern, coastal flooding, etc. as Tropical Storm Irene continues her Northeast track.
Power came back on at 12:30. Still some pretty strong gusts - up to 60+. Still no rain.

Bigdogjim
08-28-2011, 10:22 AM
OK! Lots of wind right now which is OK as the skies are clear:up: and rain is outta of here!

I am very happy to report the house is dry:) Rainfall was just over 5" way below what was beeing call for. That's a good thing:) Generator has be moved to someone who needs as I have no powerloss in my area.

Beer is good supply and the grill is ready the next 7 days call for sunshine and low's in the 80's:up:

I have a few call from friends to backup driver in couple days to help return evacuee's to their home.

Ms. Denmark
08-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Fire Dept. came around 90 min. ago to warn all of us on this stretch of our road that a dam broke up river and higher water might be on the way. We moved our Marauders to higher ground. So far no further rise in the water level, but we have had a few trout swimming in the road and on the lawn.

ImpalaSlayer
08-28-2011, 03:16 PM
this was a joke, didnt even loose internet yet alone power. man i hate the media

sailsmen
08-28-2011, 03:24 PM
this was a joke, didnt even loose internet yet alone power. man i hate the media

Be HAPPY it was a joke!:)

ImpalaSlayer
08-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Be HAPPY it was a joke!:)

trust me i aint complaining but the media really made this out to be the end of the world

jabird56
08-28-2011, 04:08 PM
We broke a record here today, and the record continues. So far we have been on generator power for 25 hours, previous record was 18 hours. with half of the county without power, I think we'll be at least tomorrow sometime before we get power restored.

jabird56
08-28-2011, 04:31 PM
YEAH! Back on shore power as of about 10 minutes ago.

rayjay
08-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Still raining and windy here. Its been raining since 3am. I heardthere is a lot of flooding in our county, but not here.

Zim Hosein
08-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Just got home from putting the Marauder back into her regular parking spot, the garage didn't have any water in it, but it was better to be safe than sorry and at least I didn't have to worry about her all night. :) I hope everyone else here is just as lucky! :beer:

Bigdogjim
08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Not to "pick" a fight but what were looking for? The hurricane was hugh!! We got 5+" of rain Weather people call for 5 to 9".

In my Township power was out on a few street, a few streets flooded. Tomorrow (Monday) The river will crest and cause evern more damage, train's are still not up and running, over 2000 flights CLX on the Eastern Seaboard.

Won't hurt ny feeling if I never have a another hurricane around here:)

Vortex
08-29-2011, 06:27 AM
All this "anger" directed at the NHC is crapola. As a kid I remember Hurricane Donna in Mass. back in 1960; those things are a disaster up north if they hit with full force. NHC missed it a bit but better to over warn than under warn.

SC Cheesehead
08-29-2011, 07:26 AM
All this "anger" directed at the NHC is crapola. As a kid I remember Hurricane Donna in Mass. back in 1960; those things are a disaster up north if they hit with full force. NHC missed it a bit but better to over warn than under warn.

Problem is some folks see this like "The Little Boy That Cried 'Wolf'" in the aftermath. The announcers on the Weather Channel this morning almost sounded a bit sheepish (.."well, it could have been a lot worse..")

Agree that keeping everyone informed is important, but there's a fine line between advising/warning folks and hyperbole to "make" news. I'm kinda leaning toward the latter, but then again, hindsight's 20-20...:cool4:

Bigdogjim
08-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Well anyone who thinks this was over hyped can come to my house (if you can here from a major roadway in less than say 10 hours:rolleyes:) and try and make it to the next Township in less then a few hours:mad: Due to flooding a lot of major roadways are closed. Rt.1, Rt.206, Rt.I-195, losts of ramps for I-295, I-195, an so on.

Had a eye doctors appt. this morning less then 10 min. from the house took 45 min. to get there.

I really feel for the areas that were had hit.

But hey I am a happy camper becasue no one I personally know was hurt/injured no damage to the house.

The Beages buddies are find also :woof: :woof:

rayjay
08-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Tell the folks in the Catskills that it was much a do about nothing... duck afterwards. :( I just finished cleaning up the road out front of broken branches. Not like the town would do it... :(

SC Cheesehead
08-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Tell the folks in the Catskills that it was much a do about nothing... duck afterwards. :( I just finished cleaning up the road out front of broken branches. Not like the town would do it... :(

Don't mis-understand my comments. The flooding was definitely bad in spots, and it has caused a good deal of damage, but the NWS, the Weather Channel, and a few other sources had been making out like this was gonna be Armageddon.

Mr. Man
08-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Don't misunderstand my comments. The flooding was definitely bad in spots, and it has caused a good deal of damage, but the NWS, the Weather Channel, and a few other sources had been making out like this was gonna be Armageddon.
Yeah I agree I had better waves on a sunny day in Australia:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS7SUFz36lg

dakslim
08-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeah I agree I had better waves on a sunny day in Australia:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS7SUFz36lg

Will you stop already with the Beach Boys...you prolly didn'nt even get out of your easy chair!!!:P

rayjay
08-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Don't mis-understand my comments. The flooding was definitely bad in spots, and it has caused a good deal of damage, but the NWS, the Weather Channel, and a few other sources had been making out like this was gonna be Armageddon.

Problem is it ended up doing the most damage where it wasn't a hurricane and people were not ready for or expecting it. 7 towns in Vermont are cut off and three in NYS. The NYS Thruway is closed from the eastern most Syracuse exit, east to Amsterdam in both directions, approx 100 miles. That is the main east/west interstate in upstate NY. Water is over both lanes of I90 in places. My sister inlaw's town in Jersey was under water. Here we just got a lot of rain and minor flooding, but east of us got their butts kicked. :help: Yea, it didn't tear up the coast as bad as thought, but I can hear the howling if it had been down played and say wiped out a east coast city... :rolleyes:

jerrym3
08-29-2011, 05:57 PM
No power since 3am Sunday. (I'm on line at my daughter's house.)

Power company recording says "your reported outage will be addressed by Sunday, Sept 4th, 8PM".

Can't reach a human voice. Sure hope the recording's wrong.

My backyard was a mess, small branches galore, but except for no power, all else OK.

Flooding was everywhere, roads were closed, a real mess. Police were (and still are) directing traffic at bad intersections without traffic lights.

Irene was no joke to me and my neighbors here in Bergen County, NJ.

Zim Hosein
08-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Due to a preventative step by ConEd, I'm still w/ out any hot water! :( I know things could be worse, but I hate ice cold showers! :bigcry:

Mr. Man
08-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Will you stop already with the Beach Boys...you prolly didn't even get out of your easy chair!!!:P
Well I got up a couple of times for refills.

Here's one for you Phil, even has your middle aged crush Betty Boop:D

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlIu83JBj42 f_dYZBwjwE2m5IDvjDQzyHj17SfTT2 vXQQyzt9V
From the 1960's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKKP_cZuk54 last one......?:coolman:

Bigdogjim
08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Ah! The trip down memory lane:) Use to listen to these guys in my big Merc's on the 8-track tape player:)

The Beach Boys remain to this day my favorite band.

jerrym3
08-30-2011, 05:11 AM
Power came back last night.

Still a lot of flooding around the state of NJ.

Vermont got it real bad.

SC Cheesehead
08-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Ah! The trip down memory lane:) Use to listen to these guys in my big Merc's on the 8-track tape player:)

The Beach Boys remain to this day my favorite band.

Ahhh, 8-tracks!

+1 on the Beach Boys, love 'em!

rayjay
08-31-2011, 05:44 AM
Heard on the radio a few minutes ago that I90, NYS T-Way is open again.

Bigdogjim
08-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Heard on the radio a few minutes ago that I90, NYS T-Way is open again.

Good news Ray! Around a few of the major roadways are re-opened:up:

Delware river has crested and started to return to normal levels.

One note I saw this morning was about SEPTA leaving trains in 15' of water at the Trenton train station:mad: NJ Transit and Amtrack all moved thiers to other locations. When interview this morining a SEPTA spokesmen defended the decision saying something stupid like well we did think the water would be that high?

The station sits next to the Assinpink creek which floods every time it rains hard. They (the news) also reported it would cost millions to repair the damage done to the trains.

mcb26
08-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Anybody hear from Paul T ?

rayjay
09-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Good news Ray! Around a few of the major roadways are re-opened:up:

Delware river has crested and started to return to normal levels.

One note I saw this morning was about SEPTA leaving trains in 15' of water at the Trenton train station:mad: NJ Transit and Amtrack all moved thiers to other locations. When interview this morining a SEPTA spokesmen defended the decision saying something stupid like well we did think the water would be that high?

The station sits next to the Assinpink creek which floods every time it rains hard. They (the news) also reported it would cost millions to repair the damage done to the trains.

Yep, its a real mess in the east side of the state, particullary the Catskill region. A number of towns are cut off and aid is being choppered in.

Pat
09-01-2011, 11:46 AM
There's a new hurricane headed toward the east coast, track changed a bit more southwest today. Katia is a Cat I now. Don't like the tracking models on this one.

Duck.

sailsmen
09-01-2011, 11:54 AM
All who have suffered I know what you are going through.

Please stop and think things through before you take action.

Bigdogjim
09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Me thinks I'm going to start looking for a place that has more normal weather:)