PDA

View Full Version : Beer drinkers

Mr. Man
08-26-2011, 09:51 AM
What is a reasonable shelf life of beer that is refrigerated? I found some in a fridge in the basement that I had forgotten about. I think I bought it about two years ago. I don't buy into that "fresh" crap that Budweiser says but I don't know how long it can be stored before it becomes undrinkable or rotten.

What say all you beer aficionados?:beer:

fastblackmerc
08-26-2011, 10:04 AM
What is a reasonable shelf life of beer that is refrigerated? I found some in a fridge in the basement that I had forgotten about. I think I bought it about two years ago. I don't buy into that "fresh" crap that Budweiser says but I don't know how long it can be stored before it becomes undrinkable or rotten.

Crack open a can and try it!

RacerX
08-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Depends on the quality it was to start with. In this situation, the only way to truly know is to take a sip. Use an alcohol hydrometer to measure alcohol content? Hmmmm... How far away are you from New Hampster??? :beer:

Haggis
08-26-2011, 10:07 AM
It's good they use so many preservities, as long as it stayed cold.

Bigdogjim
08-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Yes by all means crack it open and sniff it first! You will able to tell bad beer with only a sip!

SC Cheesehead
08-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Good question.

Mine typically stays in the fridge, I dunno, like maybe two days... ;)

Sunlight is the biggest killer for beer. If it's been in the refrigerator and out of the light, it should be drinkable.

And even if it don't taste real good, you don't wanna WASTE it!

Be a man, just suck it up and chug it down.

Remember there are kids all over southern Bavaria that will go to bed this evening, hoping for, wanting, beer; and they'd gladly take your old stuff to accompany their spaetzel and wurst if they coud get their hands on it...

Rockettman
08-26-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm up here in Toronto (Canada); and for what you guys pay for beer down in the States...if it's questionable, just dump it and get more!

I'm not sure what a case of Budweiser is down there - but just for comparison; regular price here is $45 CDN! yah that's right...$45!
Even a case of Molson Canadian - MADE RIGHT HERE - is way cheaper for you.

fastblackmerc
08-26-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm up here in Toronto (Canada); and for what you guys pay for beer down in the States...if it's questionable, just dump it and get more!

I'm not sure what a case of Budweiser is down there - but just for comparison; regular price here is $45 CDN! yah that's right...$45!
Even a case of Molson Canadian - MADE RIGHT HERE - is way cheaper for you.

:eek:

Sucks up there doesn't it!

RacerX
08-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Budweiser is $45 CDN! yah that's right...$45!
I wouldn't drink that crap if it was $5.00 a keg...

Dr Caleb
08-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Sucks up there doesn't it!

Nope. He's Ontarian. By 'case' he means 24 beer, and the OLCB is government controlled. No competition. In Alberta, it's private companies, and 24 beer only costs about $30. Even Bud. A six pack can be $9 or under.

Life's good. :beer:

Dragcity
08-26-2011, 11:25 AM
It will be fine. Especially a commercial example. Shave some Belgian Strong Sleep I made twp years ago that is just getting good. Stored outside the fridge at 60 degrees...

Enjoy!

Phrog_gunner
08-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Just drink it, the second one will taste better than the first, and the third will taste better than the second.

Let's hope our gov't doesn't try to control beer and wind up F-ing that up too.

kernie
08-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Nope. He's Ontarian. By 'case' he means 24 beer, and the OLCB is government controlled. No competition. In Alberta, it's private companies, and 24 beer only costs about $30. Even Bud. A six pack can be $9 or under.

Of course winter starts next week...:D

Life is just fine here, thank-you.

Shaijack
08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
New Orleans a case of BUD is $ 16.00. I do not drink it but my son in law supports them alot.
I give all my old beer to Rex. He said any beer is good even the WW II stuff.

Phrog_gunner
08-26-2011, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Shaijack;1084081I give all my old beer to Rex. He said any beer is good even the WW II stuff.[/QUOTE]

Rex is to beer as Pony is to women.

SC Cheesehead
08-26-2011, 11:52 AM

I was back home in Wisconsin last week, and a case (also 24 cans) of Miller was $14.98.

Life's REAL good down here! :D------>:beer:

SC Cheesehead
08-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Rex is to beer as Pony is to women.

Hmmmm, is that a complement? :confused:

New Orleans a case of BUD is $ 16.00. I do not drink it but my son in law supports them alot.
I give all my old beer to Rex. He said any beer is good even the WW II stuff.

Well, to paraphrase Will Rogers, "I never met a beer I didn't like..."

kernie
08-26-2011, 12:01 PM
I was back home in Wisconsin last week, and a case (also 24 cans) of Miller was $14.98.

Life's REAL good down here! :D------>:beer:

Now that is cheap beer, what is it in SC?

I don't buy beer often but when i do it's coronna, yep mexican beer, lol.
:beer:

Cougar_Marauder
08-26-2011, 12:06 PM
...even if it don't taste real good, you don't wanna WASTE it!...

In WI we call that alcohol abuse!

Crack it open...if your scared, keep a lime on standby.

Mr. Man
08-26-2011, 12:11 PM
I'll pop a couple during the "Storm of the Century" :shake: and see what we got. None of it is cheap beer like Bud or Coors :puke:. I think there's a couple of bottles of American Moosehead, Belhaven Scottish Ale, Lobster Ale and some Hop Devil. Worst comes to worse it's been nice knowing all of you:beer::)

Dragcity
08-26-2011, 12:28 PM
I suspect Hop Devil will have fared the best. Hops being s preservative and all.

RacerX
08-26-2011, 12:29 PM
I'll pop a couple during the "Storm of the Century" :shake: and see what we got. None of it is cheap beer like Bud or Coors :puke:. I think there's a couple of bottles of American Moosehead, Belhaven Scottish Ale, Lobster Ale and some Hop Devil. Worst comes to worse it's been nice knowing all of you:beer::)
Duh! I bet it tastes even better!!!

Mr. Man
08-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Duh! I bet it tastes even better!!!
What was the first part of this thought:dunno:?

Cheeseheadbob
08-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I concur. Between the alpha acids in the ridiculous amount of hops and the high alcohol content, I would imagine the Hop Devil would fare the best.
I suspect Hop Devil will have fared the best. Hops being s preservative and all.

SC Cheesehead
08-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Now that is cheap beer, what is it in SC?

I don't buy beer often but when i do it's coronna, yep mexican beer, lol.
:beer:
Ranges between $22 and $28 per case for domestics; imported beers are higher.

South Carolina’s excise tax on beer is $1.73 per case (highest in th contigous US)– plus the federal excise tax of $1.31 per case.

There ARE some things I really miss about Wisconsin...

tbone
08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
You forgot about beer in the basement frig for 2 years?:shake:
Beer doesn't last 2 minutes in my frig!

dakslim
08-26-2011, 04:07 PM

If it was Bud I'd throw it out but don't you DARE throw out any of THAT stuff...that's good drinkin' stuff!!!!:beer:

PonyUP
08-26-2011, 04:09 PM
You forgot about beer in the basement frig for 2 years?:shake:
Beer doesn't last 2 minutes in my frig!

Beer at your house actually makes it to the fridge? Fail lol

dakslim
08-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Beer at your house actually makes it to the fridge? Fail lol

You don't have a drinking problem...you drink, you get drunk, you fall down...no problem!:beer:

PonyUP
08-26-2011, 04:26 PM
You don't have a drinking problem...you drink, you get drunk, you fall down...no problem!:beer:

Well I actually did have a drinking problem Phil. Last week, on Wednesday I believe, I noticed I was running low on Captain, and believe me that's a problem. But a quick drive to the beverage depot, two bottles of captain select, three cases of beer, and that problem was solved

guspech750
08-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Well I actually did have a drinking problem Phil. Last week, on Wednesday I believe, I noticed I was running low on Captain, and believe me that's a problem. But a quick drive to the beverage depot, two bottles of captain select, three cases of beer, a tube of KY, box of condoms, male in search of male adds and that problem was solved really fast!!

Nice Brad. Really nice!!
---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Shaijack
08-26-2011, 06:06 PM
PonyUp that was enough for dinner, what did you do the rest of the night??

Timw286
08-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Walmart in Sumter, SC $13.97 for Bud, Bud light and Coors..my friend and I loaded up our shopping cart last Sunday and being from New England didn't realize we couldn't buy beer on Sundays down here! Good thing the Shaw AFB sells on Sunday...

PonyUP
08-26-2011, 06:42 PM
PonyUp that was enough for dinner, what did you do the rest of the night??

Well, it was a slow hot evening. Nothing like a cold beverage to relieve the heat, and I had a meatloaf sandwich for dinner, good night, rough morning lol

Hotrauder
08-26-2011, 06:59 PM
My kind of internet... a drinking web site with a Marauder problem. :high5::2thumbs::toast::beer: Dennis

Bigdogjim
08-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Now Eric if you got Moosehead then hurricane or not I will come get it:beer:

Mr. Man
08-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Now Eric is you got Moosehead then hurricane or not I come get it:beer:
WTF Dude:eek: I have no idea^^^^

1stMerc
08-26-2011, 09:55 PM

Funny you should start this. I got a three Blue Moons that's been in the minny fridge in the basement for the past three years or so. Just keep forgetting about them, but have bought other beer in the interim.
Don't think i'll be trying those tho :beer:

1stMerc
08-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Yes by all means crack it open and sniff it first! You will able to tell bad beer with only a sip!

You mean like in the movie "The Langoliers" by Stephen King

SC Cheesehead
08-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Funny you should start this. I got a three Blue Moons that's been in the minny fridge in the basement for the past three years or so. Just keep forgetting about them, but have bought other beer in the interim.
Don't think i'll be trying those tho :beer:

Bring 'em to Louisville next Spring, I'm game... ;)

dakslim
08-27-2011, 05:22 AM
Eric, is this you?:rolleyes:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/stumbling-beer-thief-caught-with-pants-down/67fajmj?q=Surveillance+video&rel=msn&from=en-us_msnhp&form=msnrll&gt1=42010

MM2004
08-27-2011, 05:31 AM
Damn Jim!

Sounds like you've had a few too many as it is.

:D

Mike.

MERCMAN
08-27-2011, 06:03 AM

Here is great idea(thanks Mike)

Bigdog and DR
in a scrabble game!!

Talk about the neverending story!! LMFAO

dakslim
08-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Damn Jim!

Sounds like you've had a few too many as it is.

:D

Mike.

He claims it's the keyboards fault...:shake:

Bigdogjim
08-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes dam it it the keyboard's fault.

massacre
08-27-2011, 11:06 AM
no known pathogens can live in beer, so although it may not taste great, it can't actually kill you. Do you guys remember this old viral video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjN8x3tsz_U

And Bill, from your response, I'm guessing you homebrew?

1stMerc
08-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Guess have to rephrase (insert your beer) this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nehhH9rfnaw :beer:

RacerX
08-27-2011, 04:22 PM
no known pathogens can live in beer, so although it may not taste great, it can't actually kill you. Do you guys remember this old viral video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjN8x3tsz_U

And Bill, from your response, I'm guessing you homebrew?
:D Hey! Yeah. My best friend who passed away 6 years ago taught me. :( God bless you Steve. The best beer I've ever tasted in my life was a Honey Porter that we made together. We left it in the carboy a few weeks extra quite by accident. We bottled it and left it for a couple months. Measured at 10.5 btw. Potent with all the honey in it, but, the tastiest I've ever had cold or even warm. :beer:

Mr. Man
08-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Whilst rooting around in the upstairs fridge I came across some Smithwick I'd forgotten about too.:shake:Note to self: pay more attention to whats on the condiment shelf, could be hidden beers.:beer::)

irish
08-28-2011, 07:38 AM
don't know the shelf life cause my beer NEVER sits in the fridge that long lol !!:beer:

NXSBOB
08-28-2011, 08:04 AM
I thought all commercially produced beer was pasteurized and would last forever, especially if kept in refrigerator.

SC Cheesehead
08-28-2011, 09:29 AM
don't know the shelf life cause my beer NEVER sits in the fridge that long lol !!:beer:

Agreed! :D

I thought all commercially produced beer was pasteurized and would last forever, especially if kept in refrigerator.

Last forever and beer are two words that should never go together unless referring to supply... ;)

massacre
08-28-2011, 10:43 AM
:D Hey! Yeah. My best friend who passed away 6 years ago taught me. :( God bless you Steve. The best beer I've ever tasted in my life was a Honey Porter that we made together. We left it in the carboy a few weeks extra quite by accident. We bottled it and left it for a couple months. Measured at 10.5 btw. Potent with all the honey in it, but, the tastiest I've ever had cold or even warm. :beer:

That's really cool.....
Sorry to hear about your friend BTW.
It's been a while since I brewed, but I still have all the equipment.
I prefer big beers,and I haven't used honey but I like to add molasses to my mash. Gives it a good flavor and color. The last batch of barleywine I made blew the lid off the fermenter and came out to 12%abv. the trick to getting the higher abv is to use champagne yeast.