PDA

View Full Version : Help with skunks

yjmud
08-29-2011, 08:43 AM
I am having an issue with skunks by my house
what is the best way to get rid of skunks without calling the exterminator or giving them the final solution for the skunk question

Blk Mamba
08-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Skunks are night roamers, and feed at night. Secure all garbage, and put an agent on your lawn to rid it of grubs, (their favorite meal), secure all areas where they can sleep, like under the porch, storage buildings, Etc., after a few days they will be at your neighbors house. If skunks are out during daylight hours they may have contracted rabies, stay away. I have always liked skunks, and would like to have a pet, but the wife says NO!

sailsmen
08-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Have a neighbors dog urinate at your fence line.

Urinate in a cup and pour it on your fence line.

FordNut
08-29-2011, 03:22 PM
I had a friend who climbed under the house and shot a skunk with a rifle. I wouldn't advise that method, but it did get rid of the skunk.

Ozark Marauder
08-30-2011, 08:18 AM
there are some good cheap repellents available, the question is, Do you have dogs? some repellents will drive them bonkers.....here's a few links that might help you.....

http://www.skunkrepellent.org/

http://pests.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-skunks.htm

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/problems/ways-to-get-rid-of-a-skunk-in-the-garden.htm

yjmud
08-30-2011, 11:15 AM
thanks for the help
I got one with a pellet rifle 1 shot that was a bad choice
going to try killing the grubs or whatever they are digging for

CBT
08-30-2011, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't shoot a critter like a skunk or a possum. They just do thier thing, don't really bother me. We have possums here in the shipyard, and cats.

yjmud
08-30-2011, 12:23 PM
if they were not digging up my yard and spraying almost every night they could stay

MrBluGruv
08-30-2011, 12:48 PM
We had that issue with an armadillo a few months back. Funny looking things. :P

RacerX
08-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Lead poisoning... .243 ;)

Blk Mamba
08-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Bet you didn't know, skunk oil, (the stuff that carries the scent) was used in women's perfume, to make the aroma last longer. They are really docile creatures and won't harm anything, the dog gets sprayed, because he chases the skunk, not the other way around.

RacerX
08-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Bet you didn't know, skunk oil, (the stuff that carries the scent) was used in women's perfume, to make the aroma last longer. They are really docile creatures and won't harm anything, the dog gets sprayed, because he chases the skunk, not the other way around.
Btw, kidding about the lead poisoning. Supposedly they make good pets with the glands removed and are pretty intelligent. :)

ImpalaSlayer
08-30-2011, 03:48 PM
I had a friend who climbed under the house and shot a skunk with a rifle. I wouldn't advise that method, but it did get rid of the skunk.

being from TN....

hold my beer while i get this critter.....:lol:

Mr. Man
08-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Have a neighbors dog urinate at your fence line.

Urinate in a cup and pour it on your fence line.
Just pee directly on the fence and put beer in your cup so you an pee on your fence again 20 minutes later:beer:

rayjay
08-30-2011, 07:24 PM
If you are going to terminate a skunk a head shot with a .22LR is best because they don't have time to spray. Other than that get a Have A Heart Trap and relocate them. As long as they can not plant their rear feet you won't get pissed on. Skunks can be friendly also. Especially if they are used to human contact. They give you warnings before they spray. They will chatter at you, then stamp their feet, then show the "pole", then spray. Keep in mind they are more afraid of you than you should be of them. I dealt with skunk complaints for 34 years, so I pretty much know what I'm talking about. However, there is always the aboration where they are already scared and spray without warning... Lots of luck with that. The advise on eliminating their food source is right on the money. No food, they move on. OBTW, the babies are harmless and can not spray you. -and- as stated above they make excellent pets. Just get them front declawed/descented and you have a cat like friend. The younger the better.

RacerX
08-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Just pee directly on the fence and put beer in your cup so you an pee on your fence again 20 minutes later:beer:
Do this before 8th beer... You don't want to throw the beer on the fence, pee in cup and... :D

Shaijack
08-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Sounds like a beer party. Many pees are better than one.

PurdueRifleman
08-31-2011, 07:16 AM
Speaking from experience, there's no sure way to shoot a skunk without it spraying. Some say to shoot them in the hips or legs so they can't squeeze and trip the glad, others say shoot them in the head so they don't get the chance to spray at all.

The first is a myth, and may be ethically wrong depending on your philosophy. The second will work only if the skunk doesn't spray as a reflex from the head shot. I shot one in the head with a Romanian PSL (firing 150gr 7.62x54R) a few years back that still managed to spray his nastiness everywhere despite no longer having basically any grey matter in his skull.

Like others have said, try running him off with the smell of urine. I hear they also don't like Great Horned Owls.

tbone
08-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Eric, I have a trap you can borrow. I used it last year to catch four raccoons that were terrroizing my wife.
And I have a 12 guage if you prefer........

Merc-O-matic
08-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Painless treatment for skunks. They hate the sound of deep bass music.
Place a radio/tape player by their den/hole (play at night)
some heavy metal...deep bass. They will be gone in less then 3 days!:beatnik:

Gotta Love It!

Blk Mamba
08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Trapping skunks is usually not a good idea, you are going to get sprayed at least once before he is relocated.

CBT
08-31-2011, 06:56 PM
They will chatter at you, then stamp their feet, then show the "pole", then spray.

Hey guspech, he just described how you try to attract the men-folk!

guspech750
08-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Hey guspech, he just described how you try to attract the men-folk!

I do have a specialized talent. That's how I got you bubs.

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

CBT
08-31-2011, 07:05 PM
I do have a specialized talent. That's how I got you bubs.

---
- Sent from my iPhone

Ahhhhh, memories. Two guys, one straw. :beer:

guspech750
08-31-2011, 07:21 PM
Ahhhhh, memories. Two guys, one straw. :beer:

:lol: !!!!!!!!

It's the way of the new world bubs!!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone

Spectragod
08-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Painless treatment for skunks. They hate the sound of deep bass music.
Place a radio/tape player by their den/hole (play at night)
some heavy metal...deep bass. They will be gone in less then 3 days!:beatnik:

Gotta Love It!

Hmmm, my neighbor must think I'm a skunk, plays rap music all night when we sleep, the only problem, last time he tried that, the police came and took him away......

Back to the original program.................

rayjay
09-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Speaking from experience, there's no sure way to shoot a skunk without it spraying. Some say to shoot them in the hips or legs so they can't squeeze and trip the glad, others say shoot them in the head so they don't get the chance to spray at all.

The first is a myth, and may be ethically wrong depending on your philosophy. The second will work only if the skunk doesn't spray as a reflex from the head shot. I shot one in the head with a Romanian PSL (firing 150gr 7.62x54R) a few years back that still managed to spray his nastiness everywhere despite no longer having basically any grey matter in his skull.

Like others have said, try running him off with the smell of urine. I hear they also don't like Great Horned Owls.

I have had just the opposite, euthanized two rabib skunks with head shots and no spraying. I guess its a matter of chance.

Merc-O-matic
09-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Hmmm, my neighbor must think I'm a skunk, plays rap music all night when we sleep, the only problem, last time he tried that, the police came and took him away......

Back to the original program.................

Like I said, you'll get the skunks one way or another! LOL

Gotta Love It!::beer:

slickster
09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Pee around your yard show them who's boss

CBT
09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
reminds me of that game ren and stimpy would play, "don't wizz on the electric fence"