PDA

View Full Version : House in danger of sliding into the water

thathotrodlincn
08-31-2011, 04:00 AM
I live on a hill above the Albemarle Sound. During the early hours of the hurricane, the sound was flat and empty. We walked several hundred yards on exposed bottom. However, the water rushed back in. We had 8 to 10 foot waves for hours. These waves beat on the side of the hill and eroded many feet of hill to the point that the edge of the erosion is within 3 feet of the edge of the house. Any additional erosion will result in the loss of the house. And, another hurricane is on the way. I cannot get a retaining wall installed for 3 weeks. (10 days or more just for the permitting). We may soon be homeless. We do not have it as bad as many others but, it is still quite disturbing. Wish us well.

fastblackmerc
08-31-2011, 04:06 AM
I wish you well.

Blackened300a
08-31-2011, 04:07 AM
I hope for the best for your home.

Haggis
08-31-2011, 04:11 AM
All the best.

SID210SA
08-31-2011, 04:51 AM
We wish you well....see if you can get an emergency permit and explain your situation to the city or county in which you live.

MM2004
08-31-2011, 05:16 AM
I live on a hill above the Albemarle Sound. During the early hours of the hurricane, the sound was flat and empty. We walked several hundred yards on exposed bottom. However, the water rushed back in. We had 8 to 10 foot waves for hours. These waves beat on the side of the hill and eroded many feet of hill to the point that the edge of the erosion is within 3 feet of the edge of the house. Any additional erosion will result in the loss of the house. And, another hurricane is on the way. I cannot get a retaining wall installed for 3 weeks. (10 days or more just for the permitting). We may soon be homeless. We do not have it as bad as many others but, it is still quite disturbing. Wish us well.

Hate hearing this and was wondering about you during the storm and thereafter. (Considering I have passed you for 2 years running heading to the Outer Banks for vacation)

Please keep us posted, and wish you all the best!

Mike.

BODYMAN
08-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Hate to hear this! Wish you the best..

F8LBITEva
08-31-2011, 05:58 AM
Aww man Im sorry to hear it. Time to casually UP the insureance coverage on the house.

Bigdogjim
08-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Maybe the your Towns Officals can get the Feds to help out? The response seams very good now from the Feds to help affected areas?

Keep us posted and be safe...

HammerDown
08-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Yes, prayers are with you; prayers that this next one will go out to sea!!!!!!

PonyUP
08-31-2011, 07:50 AM
Prayers are with you, I wish you the best

boatmangc
08-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Hang in there, Prayers sent.
Maybe feds can bring in sand bags?
My whole island flooded in 2005 during hurricane Wilma, flooding from a storm like that is rough.
Ours was all saltwater, destroyed most of what it got on

jerrym3
08-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Can't imagine what you are going through.

This may sound too "cliche", but as long as you and your loved ones are OK, that's the important thing.

All else is just "stuff" that can be replaced over time.

Big Black Beast
08-31-2011, 04:18 PM
There must be a lot of cleanup debris, maybe you could get some dumped there temporarly to shore up the bank?

CBT
08-31-2011, 06:47 PM
You two have a place here! :beer: I have two rooms you can use as long as you need. You've always said I'd have a place to stay if I visited, well guess what, back at ya. :)

Motorhead350
08-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Screw the permits. Get some workers now!

boatmangc
09-01-2011, 03:46 AM
Screw the permits. Get some workers now!

+1
Sometimes it is better to beg forgiveness than wait for permission

Motorhead350
09-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Yup. I would rather face a fine with the city than lose a house. For your situation I think they might just let it all go. This is an emergency situation.