PDA

View Full Version : Jersey cruising

jerrym3
09-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Just when you thought Jersey was just a place to pass through on the way to New York, you find places like this.

(And, don't forget our great Shore reality show.)

This historic site is within 30 seconds of busy Hackensack, NJ, heavily traveled rt 4, and many large Jersey malls. Many Jersey-ites don't even know it even exists.

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/jvmarcone/Jersey%20views%20NewBridge/

Ms. Denmark
09-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing them!

jerrym3
10-19-2011, 04:23 PM
If you're in the NY/NJ area, and want to take a nice afternoon ride, this could be for you.

Just north of the GW Bridge, down along the Hudson river, are three "boat basins". Great spot for pictures or just for an enjoyable afternoon ride. Also, plenty of picnic benches for a cooler and a sandwich.

After the three boat basins, the road rises up to the Palisades Interstate Parkway (north), and within a few miles, you can exit to a State Line Lookout, which has a snack bar.

But, the boat basins will be closed down fairly soon as winter approaches.

Fall colors should be great within a few days.

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/jvmarcone/Jersey%20cruising%20up%20the%2 0Hudson%20by%20car/

Bigdogjim
10-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Yes New Jersey is the "Garden State" for a reason:)

Thanks for the ideas.

Haggis
10-20-2011, 04:25 AM
If you're in the NY/NJ area, and want to take a nice afternoon ride, this could be for you.

Just north of the GW Bridge, down along the Hudson river, are three "boat basins". Great spot for pictures or just for an enjoyable afternoon ride. Also, plenty of picnic benches for a cooler and a sandwich.

After the three boat basins, the road rises up to the Palisades Interstate Parkway (north), and within a few miles, you can exit to a State Line Lookout, which has a snack bar.

But, the boat basins will be closed down fairly soon as winter approaches.

Fall colors should be great within a few days.

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/jvmarcone/Jersey%20cruising%20up%20the%2 0Hudson%20by%20car/

I grew up around those boat basins, we used to climb the cliffs around the GW bridge and even got chased off the bridge quite a few times.

jerrym3
10-20-2011, 05:42 AM
As teenagers, many of us would spend many evenings parked at those boat basins.

Purely for the view of the Hudson, of course. :) :)

We never went there during the day, so we never knew what an attractive area it was/is.

wickedmerc
10-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of real nice areas in NJ, especially this time of year.
Rt 46 was chosen to host a leg of the (:bows:) Hot Rod Power Tour a few years ago. The stretch off of I80, by the Delaware River. A pic of some nice cars stopping at Hot Dog Johnny's made it to the magazine.

Haggis
10-20-2011, 05:55 AM
As teenagers, many of us would spend many evenings parked at those boat basins.

Purely for the view of the Hudson, of course. :) :)

We never went there during the day, so we never knew what an attractive area it was/is.

Depending on your age, we probably partied together or fought.

Bigdogjim
10-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Yeah, there's a lot of real nice areas in NJ, especially this time of year.
Rt 46 was chosen to host a leg of the (:bows:) Hot Rod Power Tour a few years ago. The stretch off of I80, by the Delaware River. A pic of some nice cars stopping at Hot Dog Johnny's made it to the magazine.

Hot Dog Johnny's the stop for a hot dog and glass of buttermilk. :drool:

jerrym3
10-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Depending on your age, we probably partied together or fought.

I'm 68 going on 18, so my wife says.

As a single car nut (also had a Harley for a while), 1960/1965, hung around Hudson and Bergen Counties. (Bergenline Ave in West New York, North Bergen, Guttenberg, Union City: Hoboken (Clam Broth House); Calahan's hot dogs on 9W or the White Manna on Tonnelle Ave, Jersey City; Rt 3/Rt46 Drive-ins, and (my personal favorite, Garrett Mountain, Paterson.

Sometimes, to change the scenery, we'd ride all the way out to the Clifton/Passaic area (Rutt's Hut, Bonds Ice Cream, Four Seasons Bowling Alley (where the Four Seasons singing group got their name).

Ah, good times.

Haggis
10-20-2011, 07:32 AM

As a single car nut (also had a Harley for a while), 1960/1965, hung around Hudson and Bergen Counties. (Bergenline Ave in West New York, North Bergen, Guttenberg, Union City: Hoboken (Clam Broth House); Calahan's hot dogs on 9W or the White Manna on Tonnelle Ave, Jersey City; Rt 3/Rt46 Drive-ins, and (my personal favorite, Garrett Mountain, Paterson.

Sometimes, to change the scenery, we'd ride all the way out to the Clifton/Passaic area (Rutt's Hut, Bonds Ice Cream, Four Seasons Bowling Alley (where the Four Seasons singing group got their name).

Ah, good times.

Ok, I.m 49 so you have 19yrs on me, so we probably never partied or fought. I remember Calahan's in Ft. Lee very well, we used to go there regularly for a hot dog and a yoohoo. Hiram's next door never did the business they did. Do you remember the name of the pizza place down the block from them?

jerrym3
10-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Ok, I.m 49 so you have 19yrs on me, so we probably never partied or fought. I remember Calahan's in Ft. Lee very well, we used to go there regularly for a hot dog and a yoohoo. Hiram's next door never did the business they did. Do you remember the name of the pizza place down the block from them?

No, but Calahan's is gone, Hiram's still exists.

There was nothing cooler back then than pulling your Harley up to the front counter, eating a dog/yoo-hoo, getting back on (with everybody watching), and pray that the bike would start (kick start, not electric).

Mine would usually start, but every now and then I'd get that kickback, which was annoying, surprising, and could hurt a bit.

Mr. Man
10-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Hot Dog Johnny's the stop for a hot dog and glass of buttermilk. :drool:Drove past Johnny's yesterday in the Raptor. Never understood the appeal of Johnny's. Boiled hot dog is a boiled hot dog and what's the tie-in with the buttermilk?:dunno: We would travel up RT 46 a little farther and stop at King Kohl's for their dogs and the view of the Delaware.

OK, I'm 49 so you have 19yrs on me, so we probably never partied or fought. I remember Callahan's in Ft. Lee very well, we used to go there regularly for a hot dog and a yoohoo. Hiram's next door never did the business they did. Do you remember the name of the pizza place down the block from them? When did you become 49? I thought you were 40ish.....at least chronologically. :P;)

Used to stop in at the Tic-Toc diner on RT 3 once and a while as my mom worked at Hoffman-La Roche. My Grandpa and I used to drive over to the soda factory off the Allwood circle, Might have been called Brookdale or Ballentine soda. Bet the youngins don't recall returnables. He used to let me pick a flavor as he liked ginger-ale.

My folks used to drag race on RT 80 before it was completed back in the day. The same as I took a few runs on RT 78 before it was completed and there was little anything after 8 pm. Boy I miss my T-Top 'stang.:bigcry:

jerrym3
10-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I was in a few races around the Hasbrouk Heights area on rt 80 before it opened.

Another favorite strip (sometimes a three car race) was the TPike south stretch from rt 46 before there was a link to rt 80 and the GW bridge.

We'd race a few times, turn around in Secaucus, and race back.

After rt 80 was opened, when I worked the night shift at the Ford Parts depot in Teterboro, we'd hit rt 80 at "lunchtime" (3 am) and do a little racing.

(Looks like we've redefined "Jersey cruising".)

jerrym3
10-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Never thought I could put the words "Passaic, Paterson, and great scenery" in the same sentence, but here's some pics recently taken at the Paterson Garret Mountain reservation and the Passaic Falls.

19th Century Lambert Castle sits on the edge of the mountain. Great views of the NY skyline, especially at night. (Note the Empire State Building.)

Lambert Castle has just been redone.

The falls are almost 80' high, and, I believe, are the second highest falls on the east coast.

(Even caught a rainbow in two of the falls pictures.)

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/jvmarcone/Paterson%20Garret%20Mountain%2 0and%20Passaic%20Falls/

fastblackmerc
10-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Hot Dog Johnny's the stop for a hot dog and glass of buttermilk. :drool:

Ah, good times.

No, but Calahan's is gone, Hiram's still exists.

There was nothing cooler back then than pulling your Harley up to the front counter, eating a dog/yoo-hoo, getting back on (with everybody watching), and pray that the bike would start (kick start, not electric).

Mine would usually start, but every now and then I'd get that kickback, which was annoying, surprising, and could hurt a bit.

Drove past Johnny's yesterday in the Raptor. Never understood the appeal of Johnny's. Boiled hot dog is a boiled hot dog and what's the tie-in with the buttermilk?:dunno: We would travel up RT 46 a little farther and stop at King Kohl's for their dogs and the view of the Delaware.

When did you become 49? I thought you were 40ish.....at least chronologically. :P;)

Used to stop in at the Tic-Toc diner on RT 3 once and a while as my mom worked at Hoffman-La Roche. My Grandpa and I used to drive over to the soda factory off the Allwood circle, Might have been called Brookdale or Ballentine soda. Bet the youngins don't recall returnables. He used to let me pick a flavor as he liked ginger-ale.

My folks used to drag race on RT 80 before it was completed back in the day. The same as I took a few runs on RT 78 before it was completed and there was little anything after 8 pm. Boy I miss my T-Top 'stang.:bigcry:

I was in a few races around the Hasbrouk Heights area on rt 80 before it opened.

Another favorite strip (sometimes a three car race) was the TPike south stretch from rt 46 before there was a link to rt 80 and the GW bridge.

We'd race a few times, turn around in Secaucus, and race back.

After rt 80 was opened, when I worked the night shift at the Ford Parts depot in Teterboro, we'd hit rt 80 at "lunchtime" (3 am) and do a little racing.

(Looks like we've redefined "Jersey cruising".)

Never thought I could put the words "Passaic, Paterson, and great scenery" in the same sentence, but here's some pics recently taken at the Paterson Garret Mountain reservation and the Passaic Falls.

19th Century Lambert Castle sits on the edge of the mountain. Great views of the NY skyline, especially at night. (Note the Empire State Building.)

Lambert Castle has just been redone.

The falls are almost 80' high, and, I believe, are the second highest falls on the east coast.

(Even caught a rainbow in two of the falls pictures.)

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/jvmarcone/Paterson%20Garret%20Mountain%2 0and%20Passaic%20Falls/

I grew up in the Pompton Lakes, Wayne, Patterson areas......

All this talk and reminiscing, makes me want to go back...

Hmmmm... not really!

jerrym3
11-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Probably the last trop down cruise of the year, unless we get another spring-like day. And, I cheated a bit because this is a NY state site, not NJ. But, it's close enough, so....

Bear Mountain, NY, has some great roads and views, especially 7 Lakes Parkway and Perkins Drive. On a really clear day, you can actually see a bit of the Manhatten Skyline, which is quite a few miles away.

Great shot of the Bear Mountain Bridge.

Unfortunately, I missed the fall colors, but it was a beautiful day for a top down cruise anyway.......

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/jvmarcone/Bear%20Mtn%20Perkins%20Drive%2 07%20Lakes%20Pkwy/

Mr. Man
11-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Probably the last trop down cruise of the year, unless we get another spring-like day. And, I cheated a bit because this is a NY state site, not NJ. But, it's close enough, so....

Bear Mountain, NY, has some great roads and views, especially 7 Lakes Parkway and Perkins Drive. On a really clear day, you can actually see a bit of the Manhattan Skyline, which is quite a few miles away.

Great shot of the Bear Mountain Bridge.

Unfortunately, I missed the fall colors, but it was a beautiful day for a top down cruise anyway.......

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h436/jvmarcone/Bear%20Mtn%20Perkins%20Drive%2 07%20Lakes%20Pkwy/

I hear there are huge cruise nights up at Bear MTN on Weds? I believe during the Summer. Missed them all this year but a buddy of mine went in July and said there were hundreds of cars. My MM is asleep for the Winter so good luck to all that can make it.:)

jerrym3
11-10-2011, 05:43 AM
I hear there are huge cruise nights up at Bear MTN on Weds? I believe during the Summer. Missed them all this year but a buddy of mine went in July and said there were hundreds of cars. My MM is asleep for the Winter so good luck to all that can make it.:)

I've heard the same.

Next year, I'll get the 64 Galaxie up there to check it out.