PDA

View Full Version : Busted A Car Theft Ring

Ross
01-15-2004, 10:50 AM
No kidding! I was in Marshall, Texas on business this week, and about 1:30 AM I hear some noises outside my motel window. I wanted to make sure that no one was messing with my ride so I got up and peeked out between the drapes. There were some guys changing license plates on a Firebird. Now, I know that everyone does things differently, but most folks don't change their Louisiana license plates in the middle of the night at a motel in Texas. I was slightly suspicious. I called the Marshall PD, who arrived a few minutes later, after the guys had gone, leaving the Firebird with its new plates.
LE called and checked the plates, and sure enough they were stolen off a Buick in Louisiana. They were trying to check the VIN on the car, but didn't have an answer yet by the time they left. They took the stolen plates off of the car when they left.
Needless to say, I was sleeping very lightly the rest of the night, so it was easy to hear noises about an hour after LE left. I peeked out the drapes again, and the same guys are back. They were puzzled that the plates they had put on the car were gone! So they put on a new set of stolen plates. Get this. The plates they put on said "Oklahoma [number] Farm Truck".
I guess they figured that a Farm Truck plate on a Firebird wouldn't attract any attention.
Well, I called PD again, and told them the new license number, and told them to hurry and they could catch the guys. Too late. The guys took off quickly before LE could get there.
Next morning, I get a call from a detective telling me that they had caught the Firebird, with a girl in it. She started talking, giving them names and everything else she knew. Apparently this was a pretty big operation that would steal cars in Louisiana and drive them down to Houston to sell.
Felt good to be on the winning side.

GarageMahal
01-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Good work! It's nice to hear about the good guys winning :banana:

TAF
01-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Way to go Ross!!!:up:

Dr Caleb
01-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Nice takedown Ross! :shot:

Next week on MM.net: How to rid your 'hood of crack dealers using 10 pounds of salt, some sour cream and a fly fishing rod. :lol:
:rock:

2003 MIB
01-15-2004, 11:15 AM
I wonder if Maury was involved... :cool:

2003 MIB
01-15-2004, 11:17 AM
I wonder if Maury was involved... :cool:

Ross, I know you were probably "packing"-very smart not trying to detain them.

Ross
01-15-2004, 11:27 AM
2003MIB, you're reading my mind. They were not 5 feet outside of my motel door. The second time, after LE had confirmed that they were theives, I was momentarily tempted to just open the door with my .45 in their faces and hold them for LE. However, since there was no violence going on and no one in any immediate danger, I decided to take the cautious route. I always tell people that you don't pull a gun unless you are ready to use it, and I couldn't justify killing someone to prevent the theft of someone else's car. Now, if they had been stealing MY car, that would have been a different story.

2003 MIB
01-15-2004, 11:41 AM
I applaud your restraint...You've got a good life and a good wife-too much to risk. Besides, how could you post here letting us know you risked a Grand Jury visit to save a Firebird!!!??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry TTA- no offense intended.

SHERIFF
01-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Now, if they had been stealing MY car, that would have been a different story.

First.... good work!

But now.....Whoa! Don't put these thoughts in people's minds. :) Let's evaluate this...... Step out the door, catch them stealing your car, things go from bad to worse, and you pop a cap in their butts. OK?

You would spend more in legal bills, trials, and appeals then you would spend buying a brand new Marauder.

So, hell, here goes my free speech for the day...........

Contrary to what a lot of people say.... Never ever pull a gun on anybody unless your life or the life of somebody else is in imminent danger. First question a jury will ask during deliberation.... "for stealing a car? Did he have to kill the guy?" The second question the idiots ask is, "Couldn't he just wound them in the knee cap?" Like in the movies when a cop would shoot the weapon from somebody's hand. You know as well as I do, never trust your life in the hands of a jury.

Any and all of the above is null and void though...... when a stranger breaks into your home while you are sleeping. Blow that sucker away! :)

SHERIFF
01-15-2004, 11:54 AM
I applaud your restraint...You've got a good life and a good wife-too much to risk. Besides, how could you post here letting us know you risked a Grand Jury visit to save a Firebird!!!??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry TTA- no offense intended.

Hhmmmm...... I think I just said that...... in a much longer analysis. :)

2003 MIB
01-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Greatrminds think alike??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daddy used to say even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.

jgc61sr2002
01-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Ross - Nice job. you did the right thing by not confronting the perpetrators. A good discription and call the Police was the way to go. :beer:

SHERIFF
01-15-2004, 12:08 PM
Here's how the rest of the week went for Ross...... :)

Ross was trying to get a stay of execution for his client Wilbur Wright. He was depressed, exausted and late coming home that night. As soon as he walked in the door his wife started on him, "Where have you been and what time of night do you call this?" and so on.

Not wanting to get into it with her, Ross just poured himself a whiskey and headed off for a relaxing soak. While in the bathroom, the phone rings and his wife answers it and was told he got the stay of execution after all.

Realizing what a day Ross must of had she relented and went upstairs to tell him the news. As she opened the bathroom door she was greeted by the sight of her husband's rear view as he bent naked over the bath cleaning the tub.

"They're not hanging Wright tonight," she said, at which time Ross whirled round and screamed hysterically,

"For crying out loud woman, don't you ever stop?"

Ross
01-15-2004, 12:17 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
How did you know what my job is like!?

woaface
01-15-2004, 12:22 PM
I thought that when I got an EMS Truck pulled over for using lights and sirens to avoid traffic was cool...

But Ross, that is just wicked!

merc406
01-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Good job Ross, :beer: they must have had a scanner, everytime you called they knew :bandit: over the air when the Police where comin.

Ross
01-15-2004, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I figure they must have had a scanner, too. Otherwise, why would they have wanted to change the plates twice on the same car in a couple of hours? They must have heard the LE giving out the first stolen plates over the radio, so they decided to change them again.

SHERIFF
01-15-2004, 12:38 PM

I watch Perry Mason reruns. :)

Next time you're on the phone with a long winded client who won't let you get a word in edgewise.... try this......

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/fishy.html

You're the little fishy to start off with. You use the left, right, up and down keys to move around. As you eat smaller fish you become bigger and can then eat bigger fishy yourself. Amusing as hell! The first 3,000 to 4,000 points is fun. After that you're getting big enough to eat anything in sight almost. :)

jfclancy
01-15-2004, 01:19 PM

:beer: Congrats on using restraint Ross,
BUT Sherrif he did say he was in Texas he or anyone probably would be No-billed for shooting a car thief here. NO just kidding non confrontation is best
except to save a life.

:bandit: Ross IMHO
You Done good
Joe Clancy

SHERIFF
01-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Sherrif he did say he was in Texas he or anyone probably would be No-billed for shooting a car thief here.

Only if the vehicle in question had bull horns mounted as a hood ornament!

:shot:

merc406
01-15-2004, 01:39 PM
:beer: Congrats on using restraint Ross,
BUT Sherrif he did say he was in Texas he or anyone probably would be No-billed for shooting a car thief here. NO just kidding non confrontation is best
except to save a life.

:bandit: Ross IMHO
You Done good
Joe Clancy

Is that Law still valid down their? :shot:

2003 MIB
01-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Is that Law still valid down their?

Nope- we got rid of it with the repeal of the sodomy laws- I don't believe there was a connection. :)

Ross
01-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Is that Law still valid down their?

Nope- we got rid of it with the repeal of the sodomy laws- I don't believe there was a connection. :)

I can see this thread going in a strange direction very quickly... :nono:

Petrograde
01-15-2004, 05:00 PM
Way to go Ross! I think I would've spent the rest of the night in the Marauder! lol

Tom

ParkRanger
01-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Ross:

Good obs. Surprised on the late eta of the local units.

Sheriff is correct about use of force - were you in fear of your, or someone elses life? That will protect you! But always remember - better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.

ParkRanger

:beer:

SergntMac
01-15-2004, 06:38 PM
Having been in your shoes myself, I am very pleased with your decisions and your actions here. This is more that a "nice job," but I haven't any higher words of praise to offer. Them words are not in my books.

Y'all spouting and thinking wouldhave and whathave, have no idea of the true weight of a gun in your hand in moments like this, really weigh. Ross knows, hope y'all think about that moment too, please?

Nice job, Ross, 'nuff said.

cruzer
01-15-2004, 09:41 PM
2003MIB--I plead the fifth--or am I supposed to drink a fifth---I sometimes get confused :confused: