PDA

View Full Version : 10 Years Ago Today,

rayjay
09-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I was sleeping in on my day off. The phone woke me up. My sister inlaw Tracy was frantically telling me she was ok. I said thats nice Tracy, why are you telling me this? She asked, you don't know? Don't know what, I was asleep.. She told me to turn on the TV in our bedroom. Just as I did the second plane hit the World Trade Center. I said what am I seeing? A plane just hit a building where you work?

Luckily Tracy was at La Guardia airport ready to board a plane instead of being at her office...

May God rest the souls of the innocent and burn those animals responsible in hell for what they did.

God Bless America, God Bless our Troops, and God, please give President Barrack Obama a set of gonads to do what is right if it happens again.

:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag: :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

gdsqdcr
09-10-2011, 10:37 PM
10 years ago, I was heading out to work when the planes hit.

God bless our Service members, Fire Fighters, LEO and all those who daily put their lives on the line for us.

MOTOWN
09-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Ill never forget that day, i was at cartunes in roseville buying speakers for my pick up everyone just stood in front of the tv in tears and devastation!

I pray we never go thru anything like that again

DOOM
09-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Well said Ray!

:flag:

Shaijack
09-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Was at the hospital, wife was having minor surgery. Did not believe it and thought it was a movie on TV. Woke up real fast. May God bless the USA and the people involved in this tragedy.

ShadyLurker
09-11-2011, 05:37 AM
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/nprkrs/316183_1989464978236_129170064 7_31712960_1689096749_n.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n44/nprkrs/7921_703818325529_25810506_411 97240_6139748_n.jpg

blackhueys
09-11-2011, 05:43 AM
I will never forget where I was, eating breakfast at the chow hall in the high desert of ft.irwin ca. I thought it was some new movie coming out soon at first but once the realization hit it hurt me alot. I remember going to the top of the towers when I was twelve. And I remember both of my tours to Iraq as well and the friends from my unit that where killed. Never forget 9-11 but also dont forget the sacrifices that where made after, as well as those who served before for our country! God bless them all.

boatmangc
09-11-2011, 06:15 AM
I don't think any of us have been the same since.
I know my entire outlook on the world changed that day.
I know the world changed that day, I doubt it will ever be as it was before.

Never forget.

jerrym3
09-11-2011, 06:25 AM
I was in my office on the Hudson River waterfront, Weehawken, NJ.

Crowds ran outside the building to view the horror.

We watched the second tower come down from our office windows.

Our lobby became filled with people ferried to NJ from NY, and now trying to get home.

We were told we could leave the office. Drove a friend of mine home. All highways into the city were completely deserted due to police barricades.

It was like driving a car in a 1950's sci/fi movie.

yjmud
09-11-2011, 06:35 AM
I was at work at a shop in Schaumburg talking with my brother
I was stuck at work until 6:00 at night because the Bast@rd *** boss wouldn't let us close early
After about an hour or so it was dead quite no planes and a few cars very spooky

guspech750
09-11-2011, 07:14 AM
I was drilling 75' holes for a hospital expansion in Elgin. I went to the restroom and someone asked me if I had heard what had happened in NYC. I went back to my rig turned it off and sat in our support truck with my buddy/coworker Andy and listened to the horror and mass chaos on the radio. I sat there with such sadness & feeling helpless. Just trying to imagine what the victims and their family and friends were feeling. I remember that day really really changed my outlook of the world and here in the states in a negative way. It was very strange and movie like to see planes flying everywhere to land untill it was very quiet in the skies except for an occasional combat jet or two flying around the Chicagoland area.

And let's not foreget the people who have become very ill, sick, and some that have passed away after the fact.

RIP to all that perished that day.

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Vortex
09-11-2011, 07:17 AM
I was in charge of security at the US Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay), India. Pretty hairy, we didnt have Marines, just crappy Indian police with their 100 year old Enfields. But we made it so I was thankful, even for them, and will count our blessings.

duhtroll
09-11-2011, 07:21 AM
I was with 54 high school students. It was the end of the first class period.

Trying to calm them down was no easy task. We had turned on the TV in the room just before the second plane hit. Someone had run down the hall and told us to turn on the TV - nothing else.

We all held students where they were for a short while before deciding to let them go about their "normal" schedule, knowing nothing was going to be normal.

The kids were calmer than the parents. Parents showed up at school taking kids home or just staying at school and talking to everyone.

SC Cheesehead
09-11-2011, 07:46 AM
I was enroute to Camden, SC with my manager for a presentation at a client site. My boss got a call on his cell phone from his wife, and whe was all frantic and disjointed trying to explain what happened. We turned on the radio, but most of the news was incomplete and somewhat sporadic.

We ended up making the presentation, but everyone's mind was pretty much elsewhere (although we did end up getting the job about a month later). We stopped for dinner on the way back, and saw the footage of the towers coming down.

We had a number of folks on field assignments that were in the air at the time, and all of them ended up landing immediately at whatever airport was close. It was almost two days before we were able to track everyone down and account for their location and confirm their safety.

Will never forget that day.

LIGHTNIN1
09-11-2011, 08:01 AM
I happened to be off work that day. Had just finished eating and watched in disbelief as it came on tv. I remember watching the second plane hit.

lwblumjr
09-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi all,

I had just left my first class at the University of West Florida and was driving to my second class when I heard about it on the radio. When I got to my second class room we turned on the TV just before the plane hit the second tower. It was shocking to say the least! Some things changed for the better after that day. I shudder to think how Gore would have handled it if he had been president. God has blessed this country greatly in the past and this is still the best country to live in but things have changed so much that I'm afraid God may be turning his back on us in the future. I pray for Godly leadership for this country but I see the tide turning. God help us all!

Ms. Denmark
09-11-2011, 08:40 AM
</SPAN>That day, as every day, I took the bus into NYC Port Authority. I rode the subway downtown, walked several blocks and stopped just outside the door to my office building looking downtown toward the World Trade Center to admire one of the most beautiful days of the year. I remember thinking it had to be one of the top 10 best and I hated to go inside. Those towers were frankly a bit of an eyesore to me, placed as they were amidst smaller, older buildings of downtown Manhattan and reminding me of a pair of giant's legs standing where they didn't belong. Lot's of New Yorkers felt the same. But 10 years ago, even they looked so glorious under that big blue sky with the sun glinting off of them. I reluctantly took the elevator upstairs and just as I arrived at my desk, I heard the cries of my secretary, Rickie, (who had evidently taken the elevator just after I did) normally the calmest of people. He was so distraught, shouting that a plane had struck one of the Twin Towers. Had I spent just a few more moments outside, I would have seen the plane. I remember saying "Rick, did you call 911?" He said "Paula, everyone is calling 911!" I worked for Saint Vincents Hospital and Medical Center, on lower Broadway, in their Home Care Dept. We turned on the TV and saw smoke coming from near the top of the North Tower. I knew the hospital would be preparing to receive casualties. I got my staff together and told them to prepare to get over to the main hospital several blocks across town on 11th St. and 7th Ave. Then the next plane hit and I knew we were under attack. Miraculously I was able to get phone calls out to my husband in NJ, and to my parents in Calif. It wouldn't be long before communication was severed for those of us in lower Manhattan, including the TV. My staff and I were walking across town, past hundreds of people standing in the streets all looking downtown at the burning towers, when the south tower fell. We kept walking toward the ER. It seemed as if we were the only ones in motion. When we arrived, the hospital was prepared for victims. There were scores of stretchers on the sidewalk outside, with IVs ready, each manned by nurses and doctors. Local cafes were delivering food and coffee. Off duty staff who lived nearby were streaming in as well as tourists who were medical personnel and wanted to help. A group of plastic surgeons, attending a conference uptown, also made their way to help. It was an amazing sight. Sadly, there were so few survivors, and very few made it to the hospital. We treated mostly firefighters, police and emergency workers that day. I stayed at the hospital until late that night. Then was allowed to leave, but couldn't get home so I stayed with a fellow nurse in her apt. on 14th street. The days that followed were like a dream. No one was allowed below 14th street. There was a uniformed person with a rifle every few feet all across 14th street. With my hospital ID I was allowed to walk into lower Manhattan to visit my home bound patients. I wore a mask, because the stench of the yellow smoke was unbearable. (It lingered for weeks.) Saint Vincents became the gathering place for those looking for lost loved ones. It was heartbreaking to see hundreds of family members and friends posting pictures of those they couldn't find and asking "Have you seen him? Is he here?" I will never forget the horror and pain of those dark days, but I will also never forget how proud I was of my hospital, my colleagues and of all my fellow New Yorkers who stepped up and pulled together in the face of such an assult on our city and country.

PonyUP
09-11-2011, 09:27 AM
</SPAN>That day, as every day, I took the bus into NYC Port Authority. I rode the subway downtown, walked several blocks and stopped just outside the door to my office building looking downtown toward the World Trade Center to admire one of the most beautiful days of the year. I remember thinking it had to be one of the top 10 best and I hated to go inside. Those towers were frankly a bit of an eyesore to me, placed as they were amidst smaller, older buildings of downtown Manhattan and reminding me of a pair of giant's legs standing where they didn't belong. Lot's of New Yorkers felt the same. But 10 years ago, even they looked so glorious under that big blue sky with the sun glinting off of them. I reluctantly took the elevator upstairs and just as I arrived at my desk, I heard the cries of my secretary, Rickie, (who had evidently taken the elevator just after I did) normally the calmest of people. He was so distraught, shouting that a plane had struck one of the Twin Towers. Had I spent just a few more moments outside, I would have seen the plane. I remember saying "Rick, did you call 911?" He said "Paula, everyone is calling 911!" I worked for Saint Vincents Hospital and Medical Center, on lower Broadway, in their Home Care Dept. We turned on the TV and saw smoke coming from near the top of the North Tower. I knew the hospital would be preparing to receive casualties. I got my staff together and told them to prepare to get over to the main hospital several blocks across town on 11th St. and 7th Ave. Then the next plane hit and I knew we were under attack. Miraculously I was able to get phone calls out to my husband in NJ, and to my parents in Calif. It wouldn't be long before communication was severed for those of us in lower Manhattan, including the TV. My staff and I were walking across town, past hundreds of people standing in the streets all looking downtown at the burning towers, when the south tower fell. We kept walking toward the ER. It seemed as if we were the only ones in motion. When we arrived, the hospital was prepared for victims. There were scores of stretchers on the sidewalk outside, with IVs ready, each manned by nurses and doctors. Local cafes were delivering food and coffee. Off duty staff who lived nearby were streaming in as well as tourists who were medical personnel and wanted to help. A group of plastic surgeons, attending a conference uptown, also made their way to help. It was an amazing sight. Sadly, there were so few survivors, and very few made it to the hospital. We treated mostly firefighters, police and emergency workers that day. I stayed at the hospital until late that night. Then was allowed to leave, but couldn't get home so I stayed with a fellow nurse in her apt. on 14th street. The days that followed were like a dream. No one was allowed below 14th street. There was a uniformed person with a rifle every few feet all across 14th street. With my hospital ID I was allowed to walk into lower Manhattan to visit my home bound patients. I wore a mask, because the stench of the yellow smoke was unbearable. (It lingered for weeks.) Saint Vincents became the gathering place for those looking for lost loved ones. It was heartbreaking to see hundreds of family members and friends posting pictures of those they couldn't find and asking "Have you seen him? Is he here?" I will never forget the horror and pain of those dark days, but I will also never forget how proud I was of my hospital, my colleagues and of all my fellow New Yorkers who stepped up and pulled together in the face of such an assult on our city and country.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences on that day. While that day wad such a tragedy, I also believe it to be one of our finest hours. On that day and that days that followed, we were truly one country. Petty differences were put aside and we were all brothers and sisters. You can't kill the American spirit.

Thank you again for sharing

DEFYANT
09-11-2011, 10:01 AM
As posted on my Facebook. And not cut and pasted. Im proud to have thought this one up!

Right now, bin laden is resting comfortably on the bottom of the ocean. Slowly his carcass is being picked apart by unseen sea creatures and devoured. As I type this, some of those sea creatures are shyttting out the final remains of that rotten son of a bytch.

rayjay
09-11-2011, 01:17 PM
As posted on my Facebook. And not cut and pasted. Im proud to have thought this one up!

Right now, bin laden is resting comfortably on the bottom of the ocean. Slowly his carcass is being picked apart by unseen sea creatures and devoured. As I type this, some of those sea creatures are shyttting out the final remains of that rotten son of a bytch.

AMEN! to that brother!!!!

jerrym3
09-11-2011, 04:03 PM
I'd rather have him be forced to attend today's ceromonies, and then be executed by a firing squad made up of relatives of those who died.

But, that's just me.

GAMike
09-11-2011, 05:14 PM
In 95-96 I had an office on the 38th floor of 1Penn Plaza.... With unobstructed view of the World Trade Center......... My collegues and I would from time to time discuss the possibility of planes flying into the WTC only to shrugg it off and say, "that will never happen".........

We can never say that again. If one can imagine it, then it can happen. However absurd the act may be........ We must always be ready for the unmentionable......

Thank you to all first responders (Fire, EMT, and Police agencies) who in times of trouble, run towards the danger while everyone else goes the other way.

Thank you to our military and intelligence agencies who give their lives, and do their best to protect this country from this or anything like it, from ever happening again.:flag:

rayjay
09-11-2011, 06:43 PM
I also remember going in for the night shift on 9-11 and how quiet a shift it was. No one out, no complaints, no vehicle traffic. At 0400 hrs one of my people and I were standing on the front steps to our station. All of a sudden the quiet was broken by two F-16s from the 174th Fighter Wing in Syracuse going southeast towards NYC in full after burner. We both said "oh S&%T! What now?" Never did hear what it was about. It was an awsome sight though. I'm sure they broke the sound barrier where ever they were going. A number of our agency members worked at Ground Zero. I wanted to go, but we were so short on personnel, per normal, that they would not send anyone from our station.

Oh, NO firing squad. Public Hanging...