PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Goods

SHERIFF
01-16-2004, 06:39 AM
This guy, who lives 40 miles from me, had set up shop on eBaY...... selling stolen merchandise. Makes you wonder how much on eBaY was actually stolen before being listed.......

A stolen miniature train set posted on eBay put local authorities on the track of a man now suspected in the theft of more than $15,000 in antiques and other goods from stores around the state.

An Albemarle County detective learned that the train set, stolen from Antiquer's Mall, was for sale on eBay and traced the online account to Michael Duane Cody, 41, of Covington Street in Culpeper, police said.

Authorities searched his home and discovered more than $15,000 worth of stolen goods, including antiques and computer and art supplies, according to Albemarle police Sgt. Shawn Schwertfeger. The merchandise was taken from stores in 11 Virginia localities, including Charlottesville and both Albemarle and Greene counties.

The local Kmart and Wal-Mart were among the targeted businesses.

"It's not just antiques," Schwertfeger said. "You name it."

Authorities in Culpeper and Albemarle have returned about $14,000 worth of the stolen property, Schwertfeger said.

Cody was arrested Tuesday in Culpeper and charged with three counts of grand larceny, three counts of computer fraud and one count of larceny of a firearm, all felonies, Schwertfeger said. He also was charged with three misdemeanor counts of petit larceny.

Schwertfeger said that Cody's eBay account showed transactions of more than $150,000 since February 2000. It is undetermined whether the sales were illegal.

The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information on the thefts is asked to call Albemarle police at (434) 296-5807 or Culpeper police at (540) 727-3430.

woaface
01-16-2004, 07:22 AM
"Hey Everyone! I Stole Stuff! Wanna Buy It!?"

Dumbass

SHERIFF
01-16-2004, 07:40 AM
"Hey Everyone! I Stole Stuff! Wanna Buy It!?"
Dumbass

One of the overall themes of the story is this...... cops don't solve crimes, the victims do. The victim saw his merchandise and reported it. The detectives arrest the guy and like to appear as if they have done an excellent job. :)

It's my turn to be hard on cops today.

woaface
01-16-2004, 11:00 AM
One of the overall themes of the story is this...... cops don't solve crimes, the victims do. The victim saw his merchandise and reported it. The detectives arrest the guy and like to appear as if they have done an excellent job. :)

It's my turn to be hard on cops today.

Did I say something I shouldn't have? Whoever solved it...SOMEONE solved it...he's not one of the smartest criminals I've ever heard of...since, after all...I am hearing about him.

SHERIFF
01-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Did I say something I shouldn't have?

Hope. I just posted the first thing that came to my mind! :)

jfclancy
01-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Hope. I just posted the first thing that came to my mind! :)

:bandit: Well looks like another case of ooops. But does it make you wonder
if some of these guys are from another planet? I mean scares me this guy is from the same gene pool as the rest of us. GLAD he was caught

:shot:

Joe CLancy

SHERIFF
01-16-2004, 02:53 PM
:bandit: Well looks like another case of ooops. But does it make you wonder
if some of these guys are from another planet? I mean scares me this guy is from the same gene pool as the rest of us. GLAD he was caught

:shot:

Joe CLancy

If cities and counties took a list of past thefts and searched eBay, there would probably be a lot more arrests nationwide. :)

RCSignals
01-16-2004, 11:43 PM
What was the guy's feedback rating?

SHERIFF
01-17-2004, 03:02 PM
What was the guy's feedback rating?

I don't believe I have ever seen one of his auctions, I'm not sure.

SHERIFF
01-17-2004, 03:07 PM
eBaY user name MDCody (0 feedback)

HAHAHA!!! Member for 3 1/2 years. No feedback. Wonder who used the above name and for what??? :)