PDA

View Full Version : Leak Down Test

ctrlraven
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Is this something any mechanic can do or at a stealership?

Last oil change I did I only had about 5 quarts of fluid in the drain pan and my oil catch can is collecting a lot of oil which is from all the oil blow-by and caused by the rings being bad/worn.

MM2004
09-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Is this something any mechanic can do or at a stealership?

Last oil change I did I only had about 5 quarts of fluid in the drain pan and my oil catch can is collecting a lot of oil which is from all the oil blow-by and caused by the rings being bad/worn.

They should be able to.

MERCMAN had his wrench do it not too long ago at his Ford Dealership.

Mike.

RF Overlord
09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Buy a cheap-o compression gauge and do it yourself...it's as easy as changing the spark plugs.

ctrlraven
09-19-2011, 01:03 PM
That's what I am reading about, I see a few decent testers on amazon for $70-100.

Blackened300a
09-19-2011, 01:45 PM
You sure the PVC is working and your not just sucking oil out of the engine?

ctrlraven
09-19-2011, 01:54 PM
I'll pick up another one. It rattles like no tomorrow when I take it out and shake it. I've also cleaned it. With having worn rings the blow-by pressure increases the crankcase pressure which allows more oil to be sucked up into the PCV.

Blackened300a
09-19-2011, 02:00 PM
I'll pick up another one. It rattles like no tomorrow when I take it out and shake it. I've also cleaned it. With having worn rings the blow-by pressure increases the crankcase pressure which allows more oil to be sucked up into the PCV.

Any smoke out the dipstick tube or filler cap? That's usually the telltale to blowby.

RacerX
09-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Put a rubber balloon over the dipstick tube...

ctrlraven
09-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Any smoke out the dipstick tube or filler cap? That's usually the telltale to blowby.
Not that I've ever seen. Only smoke I see is white if the car sits for a week and I start it up and that's just a little puff and it's gone. Done that for years.

Put a rubber balloon over the dipstick tube...
I will try that!

boatmangc
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM
A leakdown test is no where near as easy as a compression test.
Way more effective but more work.
You put each cylinder at TDC and put air pressure into each cylinder one at a time and measure the percentage of leakage.
It is very good for determining where a loss is going because you can hear the air escaping either through the intake, exhaust, crankcase or radiator(bubbles).
I use it regularly on the big 4 stroke outboards. Most manufacturers I deal with insist on a leakdown test when requesting a replacement short or long block under warranty.