PDA

View Full Version : OnStar data collection

Vortex
09-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Read this interesting article about how now it appears data collected by onstar (even if you discontinue service) is for sale to vendors, insurance companies ect... Not a good thing.

http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=1270

jabird56
09-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Government Motors doing it's thing......

tbone
09-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I sold my Yukon and still got "updates" online for over 3 years.:confused:

Mr. Man
09-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Need to clip the BIG BROTHERS wires

justbob
09-22-2011, 04:37 AM
When Tony Soprano bought his Escalade......

"What the hell is dat? I can't have it, get it out."

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

RoyLPita
09-22-2011, 05:13 AM
When Tony Soprano bought his Escalade......

"What the hell is dat? I can't have it, get it out."

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Good one.....:lol:

screamn
09-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Big Brother is watchin every move!!!!

Government trying to squeeze every little penny out of the automobile consumer. :mad2:

Cheeseheadbob
09-22-2011, 06:24 AM
I just made an appointment with the senior tech at the Cadillac dealer to see how we are going to go about the "On Star delete...":D

Dr Caleb
09-22-2011, 12:01 PM
I just made an appointment with the senior tech at the Cadillac dealer to see how we are going to go about the "On Star delete...":D

Easy . . . if that is how they treat their customers - buy a Ford. ;)

When I was shopping for a car and bought my MM, I nearly bought a 2002 Trans Am anniversary edition. But it didn't come in black, and they wouldn't remove the Onstar. Both deal breakers.

CWright
09-22-2011, 12:51 PM
I don't have anything to hide. Now, if they start tracking my speed and want to ticket me then I will RIP it out myself! As much as I like Ford and my Marauder, Giving up my Chevy duramax diesel ......not going to happen!:D

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/My_Truck_1.jpg (javascript:;)

CBT
09-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Thats a nice truck :beer:

I don't have anything to hide. Now, if they start tracking my speed and want to ticket me then I will RIP it out myself! As much as I like Ford and my Marauder, Giving up my Chevy duramax diesel ......not going to happen!:D

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/My_Truck_1.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

knine
09-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Better truck....

BODYMAN
09-22-2011, 02:44 PM

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/My_Truck_1.jpg (javascript:;)

1 thing to say shouldve bought a Powerstroke! IMO of course:beer:

BODYMAN
09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Better truck....

The ****! Hellyea...

RF Overlord
09-22-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm not on the No Fly List so I don't think it's anyone's business WHERE I go or how fast I get there. It's immoral that OnSTAR has the right to require me to give up my privacy in return for using their service for its original intent: safety.

Someone will make a fortune if they can develop a box that only activates OnSTAR if your air bags deploy.

CBT
09-22-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm not on the No Fly List so I don't think it's anyone's business WHERE I go or how fast I get there. It's immoral that OnSTAR has the right to require me to give up my privacy in return for using their service for its original intent: safety.

Someone will make a fortune if they can develop a box that only activates OnSTAR if your air bags deploy.

CrashStar....interesting.

CWright
09-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Better truck....

That is a nice truck no doubt

1 thing to say shouldve bought a Powerstroke! IMO of course:beer:

I owned 2 of 2008's. The first one left me stranded on a hunting trip in Nebraska and they couldn't get to it for 3 weeks minimum. So I wasn't going to waste my time and take away from my hunt so I traded it in on another 08. I asked the dealership to call me when they fixed the one I traded to let me know what was up with it. I got a call a few weeks later saying they had to replace the engine due to a cracked head. On the new one I traded for the fuel Mileage sucked and it wasn't really what I wanted so I traded after I had for 6 months. I have had 4 Duramax Diesel's (two 2005's,2009, and 2011) and haven't had a lick of trouble. Sorry, I know this site leans more toward Ford but for a Diesel I have to lean toward the Duramax. That's about the only thing I lean toward GM on. When Ford gets a little time behind this new engine I might reconsider going to a Ford. But for now I really like what I have.

Thats a nice truck :beer:

Thanks bro. It really looks good with the Marauder on the trailer behind it heading to an event. That's only if I'm going to play. :D

JoeBoomz
09-27-2011, 02:15 PM
I saw this update today:

http://consumerist.com/2011/09/onstar-scraps-plans-to-collect-data-after-you-quit-service.html

Less than a week after it was revealed that OnStar was going to change its Terms and Conditions statement to allow the service to keep tracking customers' vehicles even after they cancel their subscription, the company has bowed to the massive negative reaction and decided to, uh, not do that.

It's refreshing to see a company that listens to public feedback. Now they just have to ASK first, instead of just doing it and begging forgiveness later. That's how troublesome kids are made.

gdsqdcr
09-27-2011, 02:37 PM
I am with CWRIGHT, not giving up my GMC. However, not liking the OnStar thing at all. Mine has never been activated since I bought the truck used 5 + years ago. I will be calling them to ensure I am completely disconnected cause I don't need/want them tracking my truck.

As for Ford trucks, awesome but they did not meet my needs at the time.

steve fox
09-27-2011, 03:31 PM
I have an 09 Trailblazer SS (aka winter marauder) with onstar. The multiplexing unit is under the back seat. I simply unplugged the power cable. If I wreck the truck I will just have to depend on one of several hundred million motorists (who seem to be always using their cell phone anyway) to call help.