PDA

View Full Version : Got a New Addition to my NFA collection! (another gun thread)

PurdueRifleman
09-21-2011, 06:21 PM
I haven't posted anything in a while on here, not that most would have noticed as I tend to lurk more and talk less, but tonight I'm breaking my silence! There are pics at the end if you'd rather skip my somewhat lengthy write-up.

A few weeks back, I received my approved ATF Form 4 for the purchase of a new .22LR sound suppressor (silencer) that I paid for back in April. The suppressor is from a new manufacturer, Huntertown Arms, located in NE Indiana near Ft. Wayne. Being that I always support Indiana business whenever possible, I decided to give this one a try despite being relatively new with only a few reviews. The price was right at $250 (+$200 tax stamp) for an all-aluminum, user serviceable suppressor which the manufacturer could have easily charged $350 for if he were well established. All told, the suppressor weighs 4oz and is 6" long. Hanging from the end of a rifle, I can hardly tell it's there.

Anyway, the host for this suppressor is a new production Browning T-Bolt that I picked up back in June. The rifle needed to have 1/2x28 threads cut to accommodate the suppressor, which a local gun smith was only all to happy to do. The only real hang up was that since I didn't have the barrel shortened to account for the extra length and therefore force the threads to cut into thicker metal, a brazed washer was added to the end of the barrel to build it up so the threads didn't encroach on the rifling. Still, all threading remains concentric to the bore. The rifle is a good shooter by itself and gives my CZ-452 LUX a run for it's money in terms of accuracy. Being a straight pull bolt action, it's also worlds faster at emptying a magazine compared to a typical bolt action. I could probably do another thread just writing about the rifle!

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/3090/dscn0012hm.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695/dscn0012hm.jpg/)

So after waiting 123 days for my paperwork to be approved, I got my suppressor on September 3rd. It spent a total of 30min in it's case before it was attached to my t-bolt and headed to the back forty for a sight-in session since adding a suppressor almost always changes the point of impact for a firearm. In my case, it was about an inch to the right at 50yds. Two shots to confirm the point of impact shift followed by 5 more get a group and I was good to go. I then did a "rapid fire" target, pausing for no more than 3sec between shots and obtained an acceptable 10 shot group with all shots inside the 9 ring. Not bad at all for firing without a bench!

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/4170/dscn0018t.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/dscn0018t.jpg/)

The sound suppression isn't bad either! I don't have video equipment that would do the decibel reduction justice, but the difference between a subsonic .22LR (which is already fairly quiet) and suppressed subsonic .22LR is very impressive. With the suppressor attached, my rifle sounds a bit quieter than a spring piston airgun. There's something very satisfying about being able to hear the bullet travel down range and impact the target. Supersonic ammunition is still a bit loud due to supersonic crack as the bullet breaks the sound barrier, but it's still noticeably quieter than firing unsuppressed.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase. Looking back, this was money that could have got me about 1/4 way through the Eaton Swap I keep promising myself that I'll get around to doing but firearms are my first love and the Marauder is still the bank's for another month. Who know's, maybe next year I'll finally get around to starting the parts hunt! :beer:

Shaijack
09-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Sweet what a nice grab. My hunting partner has one and it is quiet and fun. Congratulations to you.

capt512
09-21-2011, 06:50 PM
nice! I need to get me a suppressor just hate having even more paperwork on file with the guberment.

scoutrjp
09-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Good looking gun w/ some tight groups. Nice shooting!