PDA

View Full Version : Cadillac northstar ( any good)

Hadamustang1
09-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I know it is a liitle off topic.. But I have been toying with the idea of buying a nice used caddy to use for a winter car.. They seem to be pretty cheap.. I was looking at something along the lines of a 1998 to 2003 Seville or Eldo..

I know the engines are not so great .. But is there anything in particular that I should be trying to avoid..

I figure if i can buy one cheap enough to get some use out of t before selling it again.. it might make since..

I just took a new job that is going call fo me to commute about 90 miles a day.. Don't want to do that to my MM

RF Overlord
09-28-2011, 12:02 PM
From what I've read, the engines in that date range are not especially problematic, but they do tend to burn oil at a higher than "normal" rate. If you're going to commute 90 miles a day on the highway, be sure to keep on top of your oil level.

Blackened300a
09-28-2011, 02:24 PM
From what I've read, the engines in that date range are not especially problematic, but they do tend to burn oil at a higher than "normal" rate. If you're going to commute 90 miles a day on the highway, be sure to keep on top of your oil level.

Understatement! My Uncles ETC and my mothers DTC both took 9qts of oil to fill and consumed 4-5qts before the oil change. Also they smoke like a freight train if you get on it before its warmed up and they sound like a diesel in the cold mornings. Not bad on power, not great on gas and have fun pulling the starter out or changing the back 4 spark plugs.

finster101
09-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I am a tech at a Caddilac dealership. Yes, they can use oil, 2qts between oil changes is considered acceptable by GM. It takes 8qts on an oil change. Given that it takes platinum spark plugs and they are good for a looong time, the rear plugs should not be an issue, but are not that big a deal anyway. The northstar has two main weak points. Oil leaks being one. The half case and pan can leak and are very common. two being the head bolts can pull the threads on the aluminum block. This is not extremely common though. If you are looking at a car take it to your shop if you use one and have them check it over for the usual stuff, also have them do a hydrocarbon test for exhaust gasses in the cooling system. If all checks out you should be good to go. I just sold my 97 STS with 115,000 it used 1 qt between oil changes. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

James

Hadamustang1
09-29-2011, 06:38 AM
THANKS FOR THE REPLYS..i have found a couple that I'm interested in.. one at a dealer and a one from a private party.. I have a shop to take them to and he has all the new snapon diagnostic stuff. Will that be adequate to check the cooling system as well?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/2622428874.html

Vortex
09-29-2011, 06:43 AM
I used to rent Devilles alot when I was home on leave (showoff!) and I thought those motors were pretty stout. Not a fan of FWD but if you live in snow country I think a cheap Deville might be a good winter car.

EMAS
09-29-2011, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't buy anything from Car Trek, they don't have the best rep and are more of a buy here/pay here because you don't have credit kind of place. So while their cars may look good they are the junk the new car or high volume used car dealers didn't want on their lot so they wholesaled them. Pretty much the same for all of those used car dealers on River road. Personally I would only think about purchasing that old of a southstar powered vehicle from a Cadillac dealer, or a private party. However personally I'd take a Mark VIII over an Eldo any day of the week, at 100K+ it's only getting broken in while a southstar is highly suspect with that many miles.

TAKEDOWN
09-30-2011, 10:34 AM
I am a tech at a Caddilac dealership. Yes, they can use oil, 2qts between oil changes is considered acceptable by GM. It takes 8qts on an oil change. Given that it takes platinum spark plugs and they are good for a looong time, the rear plugs should not be an issue, but are not that big a deal anyway. The northstar has two main weak points. Oil leaks being one. The half case and pan can leak and are very common. two being the head bolts can pull the threads on the aluminum block. This is not extremely common though. If you are looking at a car take it to your shop if you use one and have them check it over for the usual stuff, also have them do a hydrocarbon test for exhaust gasses in the cooling system. If all checks out you should be good to go. I just sold my 97 STS with 115,000 it used 1 qt between oil changes. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

James

How do you feel about the newer DTS? I know they're ending them but are they decent as used cars, if not do u have any suggestions that are in the Cadillac line up. Curious that's all!

Timw286
09-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Coming from 6 winters of driving a FWD Continental in New England, I personally feel heavy, powerful FWD cars are the next best thing to trucks. Could of plowed snow with the Lincoln..just my .02 I don't know much about caddy's though but early 2000's DTS is definetly appealing. Good Luck!:)