View Full Version : Last Crown Vic to be preserved

Big Black Beast
09-29-2011, 04:08 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5844442/cotd-last-crown-vic-preserved-in-arabia-edition

Well, at least somebody appreciates it.
It should be in the Smithsonian.:cool:

Vortex
09-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I agree that at least somebody has some common sense, even if it is the other side of the planet. Big raspberry to Ford bigwigs.

CBT
09-29-2011, 04:13 PM
It sure had a good run :beer:

OneBADLsE
09-29-2011, 04:30 PM
There are many differences between a Camry and a Vic.

One is reliable, the other is nearly unkillable.

One is practical, the other will constantly surprise you with it's abilities.

One has a good reputation, the other didn't need to be changed much in 30 years.

One has decent performance, the other can be built to go as fast as you can afford.

One is the defining sedan for today's market, the other has no direct competitors for 15 years.

You're right in saying that both are created for conveyance instead of driving, but one is the last holdout from the old school American style cars.

Body on Frame construction is more expensive, heavier, and not as rigid as unibody, but that gives the car special properties. It gives the car a better ride and less NVH because it separates the cabin from the mechanical bits. It allows a little bit of flex in the chassis, which makes it much more durable in abusive conditions and gives a longer service life in all conditions. Finally, it gives the driver a feeling of invincibility. There's no reason to slow down for potholes, speedbumps, rail road tracks, or even animals. You know the car can take it in stride without even giving the passengers a shock to feel.

FWD might give better interior space, slightly better fuel efficiency, and lighter weight, but RWD has it's own advantages. It makes it easier to fix, it gives a better weight distribution, it has less parts to wear out (especially on a simple solid rear axle), it has no torque steer, and is a lot more fun to drive.

Even the V8 has plenty of benefits. Sure, it didn't make as much power as the Camry's V6, but it can last a long, long time because it is a fairly unstressed engine. It also doesn't need to rev high to get the car moving quickly, can easily be built or swapped for more power, and still gets close to 30mpg on the highway.

You don't need to love it, but you should be able to understand why a jalop would.

So awesome :-)

Chayton
09-29-2011, 05:01 PM
So awesome :-)

exactly what i was thinking, Pretty much said everything that I feel about the panther platform.

Marauderman
09-29-2011, 05:03 PM
The fact that it is getting all the hipe cause it is the last and UNFORTUNATELY
going to a non American place or person --well that is just plain WRONG!

I am tired of all the crap it's getting for being the last--cause of the one who is getting it- non- American--so you see what/who is getting all the news---a Non-American situation taking away an American theme and making it look like what--See the picture here folks---where is all the emphasis here--a non -American place and or person--whatever--the car is lost in transition here--enough said---

Give it up and try not to advertise for others------I could go on --but I won't --carry on----

DOOM
09-29-2011, 06:37 PM
I love my panthers! Have owned 4 so far! :bows: :bows:

OneBADLsE
09-29-2011, 09:30 PM
I love my panthers! Have owned 4 so far! :bows: :bows:

I've owned upwards of 20...and counting :beer:

Fosters
09-29-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm on my first one and I keep asking myself, why'd I wait so long...

TFB
09-30-2011, 06:01 AM
The Marauder is my 6th, all mine have been Mercs... 86LS, 92GS, 93GS, 07GS, 98LS(in that order)... I still have the '98 & '07, all incl the Marauder have in the mid 40K mi range... I have owned 18 '86-'88 T-Birds, 14 were '87-'88 Turbo Coupes, still have three around here...

Vortex
09-30-2011, 07:21 AM
The Marauder is my 6th, all mine have been Mercs... 86LS, 92GS, 93GS, 07GS, 98LS(in that order)... I still have the '98 & '07, all incl the Marauder have in the mid 40K mi range... I have owned 18 '86-'88 T-Birds, 14 were '87-'88 Turbo Coupes, still have three around here...
Well I for one am impressed!

Embassy
09-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Even if it is on the other side of the planet, it is good news to see it appreciated and preserved.

MeanMachine
09-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Even if it is on the other side of the planet, it is good news to see it appreciated and preserved.

^^^^^^ This