PDA

View Full Version : "Three 4's always beats a pair of 6's"

MM2004
10-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Discuss...

V-6 out, four cylinders in as SUV targets fuel savings, but will it register with customers?

Americans don't want tiny, fuel-sipping cars, despite what politicians, marketing geniuses and everyone in California says.

Americans want big, fuel-sipping SUVs.

Ford Motor Co. announced Tuesday that it will be getting closer to creating just that when it rolls out the all-new Ford Escape at the Los Angeles auto show in November.

To demonstrate just how much Ford is banking on fuel-efficient SUVs, for the first time in America Ford will build a compact SUV with no V-6 model. In the truck world, this is almost sacrilege.

The next Escape will come with an improved 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, a 2-liter turbocharged direct injection four-cylinder engine or a 1.6-liter turbocharged direct injection four banger, said Greg Johnson, Ford's North American power pack integration manger.

Three 4s always beats a pair of 6s. The last two engines carry Ford's EcoBoost moniker — the tiny but powerful engines that can do the work of their bigger brothers.
"By 2013, we'll have EcoBoost offerings for 90 percent of our vehicles," said Derrick Kuzak, Ford vice president and head of global product development, as he stood in front of an all new C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid, which promises a 500-mile range between electric and traditional gas drivetrains.

On Tuesday, Ford laid out some of its plans for creating a more fuel-efficient fleet — something more people want and the government has demanded with onerous changes to corporate average fuel economy rules.

But there's a fine line between satisfying the government and consumers, though both remain clueless about how cars and trucks actually work. Over the past few months, Ford did some extensive surveying of consumers and learned that 61 percent are interested in buying a hybrid or electric vehicle (though only 4 percent actually do buy them).

Worse, nearly half don't know the difference between a hybrid, a plug-in hybrid and an electric vehicle. If knowledge is power, many consumers are pushing about 3 pound-feet of torque.

So they may not understand that the new Escape will lose its hybrid badge when it arrives. (That hybrid is no longer needed because the C-Max and Escape 1.6 will get better highway mileage than the hybrid did.)

More importantly, the Escape follows the newfound trend of vehicles dropping bigger engines and being designed from the ground up for smaller engines. Kuzak hinted as much, saying that Ford is focusing more energy on reducing the weight of its vehicles, which ultimately translates into better fuel economy.

The same thing is happening at brands like Hyundai, Buick, Kia, Chevrolet and many more. Smaller means big mileage numbers. Even Ford's luxury brand, Lincoln, no longer builds a car with a V-8 now that the Town Car has gone away.

With as much as people talk about hybrids and electric cars, you'd think everyone drove one. But in September, more people bought trucks than cars — something few people ever say out loud. The reason: We love them.

Furthermore, Ford's survey pointed out that the gasoline price at which people would seriously consider buying a hybrid is $5 a gallon, and gas needs to reach $6 a gallon before they will seriously consider an electric vehicle.

Even then, no one wants to give up space. We're averse to most things small when it comes to vehicles. Small will never be big. Ford is just figuring out how to make big more efficient.

Source: (c) 2011 Detroit News. Provided by Proquest Information and Learning. All rights reserved. A service of YellowBrix, Inc

Pops
10-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Good find!

SC Cheesehead
10-05-2011, 10:34 AM
...Ford did some extensive surveying of consumers and learned that 61 percent are interested in buying a hybrid or electric vehicle (though only 4 percent actually do buy them)....

That's due to sticker shock coupled with mileage comparisons to gas-only powered counterparts.

For example, base price on the 2011 I-4 Escape is $21,240, vs. $30,570 for a base model Escape Hybrid.

Comparative mileage estimates for the two are 21/28 for the I-4 and 34/31 for the Hybrid (which, by the way, is bogus for the city estimate; my wife has an '06 Escape hybrid, and milege between the city and highway is the same, right around 32, every time we check it).

So you don't have to be a rocket surgeon to figure out there is no realistic payback for buying the Hybrid over the I-4, and based on the minimal delta between mileage estimates, darn little environmental incentive as well.

Mr. Man
10-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Just read 4 of 10 new F-150's are getting the Eco-boost. Seems to me if you don't actually use your truck for work and aren't a gear head why not get a smaller engine.

SC Cheesehead
10-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Just read 4 of 10 new F-150's are getting the Eco-boost. Seems to me if you don't actually use your truck for work and aren't a gear head why not get a smaller engine.

Mo' bigger, mo' betta....(the American Way :up:)

Mr. Man
10-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Mo' bigger, mo' betta....(the American Way :up:)
The "NEW" American is used to 4-cyl diesels my friend;)

SC Cheesehead
10-05-2011, 11:21 AM
The "NEW" American is used to 4-cyl diesels my friend;)

So, slap me silly, and call me a Luddite... ;)

Bigdogjim
10-05-2011, 07:53 PM
I still perfer a V-8 under the hood but that's just me:)

BUCKWHEAT
10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
My 4200 # ecoboost 6 cyl runs the same 1/4 mile time as my stock Marauder ran, and gets 25 mpg at normal highway speeds. And, if I didn't spend all my money on Marauder mods, I can get the Livernois tune and get the ecoboost into the 12 second bracket. Impressive for a six cylinder.

rayjay
10-06-2011, 07:51 AM
A direct injected, turbo 2.5 should work well in a smallish SUV if properly built, meant a strong block. Even better if it was a diesel. What we really need is for fuel prices to get back to a more normal, realistic level. 93 just dipped below $4 a gallon here recently. :rolleyes: As for total electric cars, worthless in a cold northern climate... The local university stores all their's for the winter starting in November. The low temps suck the life out of the batteries.

Fosters
10-06-2011, 05:54 PM
My 4200 # ecoboost 6 cyl runs the same 1/4 mile time as my stock Marauder ran, and gets 25 mpg at normal highway speeds. And, if I didn't spend all my money on Marauder mods, I can get the Livernois tune and get the ecoboost into the 12 second bracket. Impressive for a six cylinder.

Yup... Makes ya wonder what would happen if they modernized the panthers with these engine upgrades... The turbo 2.0 would easily rival the 250hp the 2v 4.6 could put out... And a new marauder with the 3.5 ecoboost out of the F150/flex/sho... Dew want!

I could see myself sporting a 30mpg land yaht decomissioned p71 easily :)

DOOM
10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I still perfer a V-8 under the hood but that's just me:)

All day long baby!!! :banana2:

MM2004
10-06-2011, 06:49 PM
All day long baby!!! :banana2:

That's what sh....

Nevermind.

:P

Mike.