PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of it.....

SID210SA
10-11-2011, 11:19 AM
I see lots of post lately of people selling their Marauders or trading them in to purchase something different for various reasons.

So now it has me thinking.....It bothers me that I have a car that sits most of the year ( I dont drive her for several weeks at a time, but I do take her out all year round). I have been putting about 2500 miles a year on her for the last 2 years. On the other hand, I dont like to put the miles on her, so its a strugle either way.

So we have 3 cars, The Marauder, and 01 Burb, and an 03 Impy.

You all know what the Marauder is like, The Burb is big and fits everyone in our family, has 114K on her and has nothing wrong but age. The Impy is a POS and we are constantly fixing it.

So we have been tossing around to replace the Impy with a now Titanium Focus and then later down the line replace the Burb with an new Explorer. But then I still have the issue of driving or not driving the Marauder. I have been thinking lately just to get rid of all the cars and buy two new ones.

I know ultimately it is up to me on what to do, but I value my .net family opinions, so I come to you to help me decide weather or not to sell the Marauder.

Mike

CBT
10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Keep it. :beer:

Ms. Denmark
10-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Keep your Silver Birch. I think you'll regret it if you let her go!

Hacklemerc
10-11-2011, 11:44 AM
I traded mine because it was eating us out of house and home finacially and as just not a reliable car to have with a newborn. If we could have afforded a new car without using her as a trade in I would have kept her. I miss driving her and the roar of the ehaust when I romped on the gas pedal..... :bigcry:

PonyUP
10-11-2011, 11:44 AM
It's a tough decision, at the end of the day, what's important is that you have strong peace of mind with wither decision.

Does the Marauder bring enough enjoyment in the limited driving to outweigh the costs of a third car? It does for me

In your situation, if it was me, I'd hold on to it if it is economically feasible, if it becomes a financial burden, then selling one of the cars is a reasonable way to approach it.

I want to be able to put my head down at night happy, content, and economically viable. If you can do those three things by holding on to it, then you should. If you can't, then sell

SID210SA
10-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I dont think I would be doing it for financial reasons....although it would be nice to not pay insurance on a car I dont use all the time, but thats about it. The Marauder will be paid off in just a few months, the Burb has just 2 more payments and the Impy has been long paid for. The only car that we are pouring money into is the Impy due to breakdowns of one nature of another, and the Burb uses a lot of gas. So other than paying for insurance for a car I rarely drive the only other thing is one of the cars sits outside and it isnt the Marauder. She has been pretty reliable, so the only other cost is regular maintenance.

I do really enjoy driving the Marauder everytime I get in, and it seems more of a chore to drive the other two, cause I really dont enjoy driving them. I have added some cosmetic mods to the burb such as a DVD player, LED tail and front turn signals, and blacked out headlights, and wanting to add some rims and bass to make it more enjoyable to drive. The Impy is a lost cause....we have alread put enough money into it to keep it running....dont want to put anymore into it to make it look better.

fastblackmerc
10-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Keep your Marauder.

Nuff said!

:beer::beer:

cpe6
10-11-2011, 12:36 PM
keep it, one day you are going to miss it....

BODYMAN
10-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Tried it didnt like it, ended up getting 2 after! Id keep it...

bolsen
10-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Keep it....or else.

guspech750
10-11-2011, 01:34 PM
No brainer. Keep it!!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

Local Boy
10-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Drive it more....problem solved...

Aloha

EVILMM
10-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Trade the Impala for a Marauder, it get's about the same MPG, and then you can drive it all you want and not worry about Miles, because you have 2 of them. You will be twice as happy!!!!!!! :banana2:

loud2004marquis
10-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Keep the marauder!

kmastl
10-11-2011, 03:23 PM
I say drive it! In the end it is just a "glorified crown vic" and also "The Marauder looked more social security than undercover security. Second, the car was social security, just an antiquated Grand Marquis below its blacked-out body. Third, its 4.6-liter 302-horsepower V8 felt so slow that the only perps you could catch were teenagers on foot."

ROFL at MSN

Big Black Beast
10-11-2011, 04:19 PM
I do really enjoy driving the Marauder everytime I get in, and it seems more of a chore to drive the other two, cause I really dont enjoy driving them.

That seems like a pretty good reason to keep it to me.

wickedmerc
10-11-2011, 05:22 PM
+1 for keeping it

:twocents:
Mike, how you've described your MM at this point is commonly referred to as a "toy". If it's garaged, look into collectors insurance (Do a web search for it). It's way cheaper than standard insurance and the restrictions have eased up over the past few years (ie how many miles you're "allowed" per year, where you're allowed to go with it, etc...).

It sounds like you really enjoy the car. My guess would be that, should you decide to get rid of it, you'd either have another 1 or something else "fun" before long.
Bag the Impy, lease a Focus and baby your MM.

SID210SA
10-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I will look into the collectors insurance......I also think I will table this and rethink it after I pay off the Marauder and see how I feel then. Maybe not having a car payment will make me feel better about not driving her.

Mike

na svt
10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Drive it or get rid of it, it's depreciating anyway so you may as well get some use out of it. Remember, it's only a car and there are many more like it if you feel the need to get another.

kernie
10-13-2011, 11:56 AM
I have re-thunk my MM also, storing it for the winter means we would need a 3rd car as my wife now works different shifts and we wouldn't get away with one winter car anymore. So iv'e bought some cvpi rims and blizzaks from a member here, gonna oil her up and drive it only when i have to, a couple of times a week in the winter. It's only seen 2 winters and has been oiled regular so it's still very clean.

You do what you have to do.

:beer:

Fosters
10-13-2011, 12:08 PM
I have re-thunk my MM also, storing it for the winter means we would need a 3rd car as my wife now works different shifts and we wouldn't get away with one winter car anymore. So iv'e bought some cvpi rims and blizzaks from a member here, gonna oil her up and drive it only when i have to, a couple of times a week in the winter. It's only seen 2 winters and has been oiled regular so it's still very clean.

You do what you have to do.

:beer:

Do it, monkeyboy. Get a cheap cherokee or explorer for the winter, and you'll be much happier. 3 cars isn't bad. Keeps things interesting. :)

Plus, winters have been getting nastier and nastier in the last 5 years. There were days my gf's old CTS and my old jetta couldn't get in and out of the driveway without parking in the street and getting the shovel out first... MM may have better ground clearance, but it's still much easier in a 4x4...

MarauderVOL
10-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Had mine on here....no interest shown. Mine sits alot as well. After driving her and seeing how good she still looked I decided I'd keep her. So my vote is keep it.

B.C. Bake
10-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Ya know +1 on keeping it. My wife and I get in the MM and drive it on the weekends and give it a workout, just allot of fun to drive and unwind and relax. We have two more 4x4s and the MM is just different
.:burnout:My 04 MM has about 15000 on the clock so yo no it sits also.:beer:

SID210SA
10-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Drive it or get rid of it, it's depreciating anyway so you may as well get some use out of it. Remember, it's only a car and there are many more like it if you feel the need to get another.

Yeah....I did that the first 5 years. The last 2 years and 4 months I have rarely put her on the road....so she already has a bunch of miles....had 95K on her in June of 09, and now have 108K and that include 2K that I just put on it in a weeks long trip, but she doesnt look a day over maybe 25K.

RacerX
10-13-2011, 06:06 PM
It's actually interesting to see the different types of attachments we have to these cars. Some bought them new (full price), some still paying them off, some bought used for less, but, still making payments, some (like me) bought them dirt cheap, which doesn't mean we love them less, but, spending another 6 to 10k on them is not an issue as well as driving them as a DD and beating up on them a little. If you enjoy it, drive it. At first, I didn't want to change ANYTHING. I felt guilty when one of the first mods I did was to install SRP pedals. I finally thought about it when deciding on gauges for the car. I was trying to keep everything stock, matching, and then thought, I really wanted something I like, not what went in at the Ford assembly line. Now it's even more fun to drive! Like Todd said, "It's a car, drive it!"

TAKEDOWN
10-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Lol, you gotta keep the MARAUDER what's wrong with you?