PDA

View Full Version : If you're thinking about mods do these....

adrian36
01-20-2004, 06:58 AM
First thing I did was that I had Dennis Reinhart re-flash the CPU. The difference was obvious but most notably in the shifting. The car reved longer before shifting and got more go go go go. I do have one question that I will ask Dennis later. The question is this--Why does the car even after the re-flash still shift into OD at 35 MPH? Would it be better to engage the OD at 45? Anybody? Any how, I just push that disable OD button and watch out!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm flying through.

Next, up were the pulleys, plugs, stat and 4.10 gears. Here the major impact were the gears. Of the line go was very good and the pulleys helped rev up the engine faster. So, the re-flash, pulleys and gears do help.

Finally, the exhaust. I bought the exhaust from Dennis. The hi-flo cats and x-pipe and the exhaust manifolds. The DR manifolds are ceramic coated and wider than the stock MM manifolds. These manifolds look like the Mustang GT manifolds and work much better. I went with 2.5 mandrell bend pipe from manifolds to exhaust tips and with 21" Dynomax mufflers in between to keep the cars rumble muscular but low. The entire exhaust was replaced and took 6.5 hours of labor at the shop. If there is one mod that makes a BIG change it has to be the exhaust. In combination with the above mentioned mods the car is a WILD BEAST. I can just imagine what a super charger will do. Scary thought.

The car is Reinhart performance throughout. With the above mods in combo your MM will be awesome. . :banana2:

Ross
01-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Adrian, my car shifts into OD at about 41MPH under light accelleration. I have a Diablo chip, and I could be wrong, but I think most people here are getting a shift into OD around 40 MPH rather than 35.

TAF
01-20-2004, 07:56 AM
The question is this--Why does the car even after the re-flash still shift into OD at 35 MPH? Would it be better to engage the OD at 45? Anybody? Adrian,

Mine does that as well...and if I had my choice, I would have that parameter changed. However, what I've made a habit of doing is "around-town driving" I drive with the OD off to eliminate this. This has no ill-effects on the tranny according to the experts I have spoken with. And drivng in 3rd gives you even more "punch" when needed.

RF Overlord
01-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Adrian, my car shifts into OD at about 41MPH under light accelleration.

Mine, too. I have a Jerry W. reflash...

duhtroll
01-20-2004, 08:23 AM
I have the 4,10s, chip, plugs, stat and a dynotune after that . Right now I am very happy with performance. However, I am adding pullies and exhaust soon. I am assuming I will need a reflash after exhaust, right?

Maybe I can work the install around a dynotune session this spring or something.

Thanks,
-A

TAF
01-20-2004, 08:32 AM
I have the 4,10s, chip, plugs, stat and a dynotune after that . Right now I am very happy with performance. However, I am adding pullies and exhaust soon. I am assuming I will need a reflash after exhaust, right?

Maybe I can work the install around a dynotune session this spring or something.

Thanks,
-AThere is no REAL reason for a reflash after exhaust, A. The only reason you MAY want a reflash after pullies is to raise the idle 200RPMs or so...but I don't think it's mandatory. Mine idles dead-right-on 700 RPMs...what does yours do now?

duhtroll
01-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Last I checked it was 600 or more, but it's cold here right now and I bet that affects idle - or at least seems to.

In the summer I noticed there were times when it was in gear idling at a light right around 500. I thought that was a bit low. Will have to check on this sometime when it's warm. I'm not doing the exhaust 'til spring - no point in putting on shiny new stuff just to get salt and crap all over it.

Thanks,
-A

TripleG
01-20-2004, 10:21 AM
First thing I did was that I had Dennis Reinhart re-flash the CPU. The difference was obvious but most notably in the shifting. The car reved longer before shifting and got more go go go go. I do have one question that I will ask Dennis later. The question is this--Why does the car even after the re-flash still shift into OD at 35 MPH? Would it be better to engage the OD at 45? Anybody? Any how, I just push that disable OD button and watch out!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm flying through.

Next, up were the pulleys, plugs, stat and 4.10 gears. Here the major impact were the gears. Of the line go was very good and the pulleys helped rev up the engine faster. So, the re-flash, pulleys and gears do help.

Finally, the exhaust. I bought the exhaust from Dennis. The hi-flo cats and x-pipe and the exhaust manifolds. The DR manifolds are ceramic coated and wider than the stock MM manifolds. These manifolds look like the Mustang GT manifolds and work much better. I went with 2.5 mandrell bend pipe from manifolds to exhaust tips and with 21" Dynomax mufflers in between to keep the cars rumble muscular but low. The entire exhaust was replaced and took 6.5 hours of labor at the shop. If there is one mod that makes a BIG change it has to be the exhaust. In combination with the above mentioned mods the car is a WILD BEAST. I can just imagine what a super charger will do. Scary thought.

The car is Reinhart performance throughout. With the above mods in combo your MM will be awesome. . :banana2:

I when the same route as you "Reinhart performance" throughout. No pulleys and I have 20" Dynomax mufflers and stock pipes to the exhaust tips.

I find that petal preasure determines my shifting. I had it doing 90 in third.

I got the bug for a super charger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana2:

RF Overlord
01-20-2004, 10:59 AM
There is no REAL reason for a reflash after exhaust, A. The only reason you MAY want a reflash after pullies is to raise the idle 200RPMs or so

As much as it galls me to say this, circumstances beyond my control force me to agree with TAF...

:lol:

johnjamis
01-23-2004, 07:48 AM
"I went with 2.5 mandrell bend pipe from manifolds to exhaust tips and with 21" Dynomax mufflers in between to keep the cars rumble muscular but low. The entire exhaust was replaced and took 6.5 hours of labor at the shop. If there is one mod that makes a BIG change it has to be the exhaust. In combination with the above mentioned mods the car is a WILD BEAST. I can just imagine what a super charger will do. Scary thought."

Hi adrian36, do you know if your dynomax setup is quieter than the magnaflow 18" that I and many others have installed? Also, will the dynomax hook up to our stock tailpipe with out major difficulty? My magnaflows are just a little too loud for my wife. Thanks, John

duhtroll
01-23-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm curious about this also. I want performance but will gladly keep a quieter sound (until I put my foot in it) on the hwy if I can.

Was planning to go with the 18" magnaflows, but if something that grants as much performance and is larger and quieter will fit, I'm game.

After all, we will have a sleeping baby in a car seat back there some of the time. Don't want to wake her up!

Thanks,
-A

Hi adrian36, do you know if your dynomax setup is quieter than the magnaflow 18" that I and many others have installed? Also, will the dynomax hook up to our stock tailpipe with out major difficulty? My magnaflows are just a little too loud for my wife. Thanks, John[/QUOTE]

duhtroll
01-23-2004, 09:07 AM
BTW Todd I checked and the idle while in gear is right at 500 or even a touch lower. May have to get the idle up a couple hundred RPMs for the pullies?

Thanks,
-A

TripleG
01-23-2004, 09:10 AM
I'm curious about this also. I want performance but will gladly keep a quieter sound (until I put my foot in it) on the hwy if I can.

Was planning to go with the 18" magnaflows, but if something that grants as much performance and is larger and quieter will fit, I'm game.

After all, we will have a sleeping baby in a car seat back there some of the time. Don't want to wake her up!

Thanks,
-A

Hi adrian36, do you know if your dynomax setup is quieter than the magnaflow 18" that I and many others have installed? Also, will the dynomax hook up to our stock tailpipe with out major difficulty? My magnaflows are just a little too loud for my wife. Thanks, John[/QUOTE]

I have the Dynomax SS Ultra 20". They are pretty loud on take off and in forth gear doing 40 or so. I truely like the sound at 60 a nice purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

johnjamis
01-23-2004, 09:19 AM
I don't want to give the wrong impression, so let me add this. My magnaflow set up with kooks headers is respectably quiet at idle and cruise. It only gets loud when you step on it hard such as when passing or on a hard launch. John

adrian36
01-23-2004, 03:22 PM
20" Dynomax purrr really low at idle and growl when you floor it. At highway speeds of 80 MPH you only hear that purr. Now, remember that I have 4.10 gears. And yes you can install these mufflers to the stock pipes but you are throwing money away. Performance will only improve at a noticeable level if you go with 2.5 inch pipes straight through. If you keep the stock manifolds you have to go to a performance muffler shop and have them make you a custom x pipe with cats. It is not expensive.

Good Luck
Adrian36 :burnout:

"I went with 2.5 mandrell bend pipe from manifolds to exhaust tips and with 21" Dynomax mufflers in between to keep the cars rumble muscular but low. The entire exhaust was replaced and took 6.5 hours of labor at the shop. If there is one mod that makes a BIG change it has to be the exhaust. In combination with the above mentioned mods the car is a WILD BEAST. I can just imagine what a super charger will do. Scary thought."

Hi adrian36, do you know if your dynomax setup is quieter than the magnaflow 18" that I and many others have installed? Also, will the dynomax hook up to our stock tailpipe with out major difficulty? My magnaflows are just a little too loud for my wife. Thanks, John

johnjamis
01-24-2004, 12:03 PM
"20" Dynomax purrr really low at idle and growl when you floor it."

adrian36, thanks for the info. My 18" magnaflow setup (kooks, 2.5" pipe and x-pipe, stock tailpipe) purrs at idle and cruise, but wails when you floor it. I wonder if your growl is better than my wail?
Where did you get your 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipes? Thanks, John

kurly
01-24-2004, 04:50 PM
Great Thread!
I wish Dennis had a shop or an affiliate up here in Anderson, SC or close by!
:cry:

TAF
01-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Great Thread!
I wish Dennis had a shop or an affiliate up here in Anderson, SC or close by!
:cry:
If I've told you once...I've told you 1,000 times...get on I-85 South...less than 2 hours drive and I can get you hooked up with WHATEVER you need to do to your car...:up:

BillyGman
01-25-2004, 03:34 AM
I'll interject here w/two additional things:

First, what made the biggest difference in acceleration in my car, was the Precision Industries Stallion Torque converter w/the stall speed set at 3000 RPM. And yes, Dennis has those also. There are two types that P.I. makes for our cars, the single pate one,and the multi-plate one, however the multi-plate one is a few hundred $$ more, and even the P.I. company told me over the phone that you don't really need it unless you're going to be at the track very often, and even then it will only make about a .2 sec difference. But the single plate model reduced my ET's at the track by .7 seconds. This converter like most any high stall speed converter, willtake away the hard shifts that your chip or replash gives you. But the car will move faster, so who cares? You'll also be able to burn rubber a bit better from a dead punch(no brakes) w/this converter.

Second, I also have an after market exhaust, but I've chosen to go w/the Kook's ceramic coated long tube headers, and the hi-flow cats,X-pipe, and 18" Magnaflow straight-thru mufflers that they offer for our cars. And that gave me a .50 sec reduction in my ET's. I was also a bit concerned about the magnaflows being too loud, but now that I have them, I love them. MartyO met up w/me at the racetrack about 6 weeks ago, and he's since written on this board that out of all the Marauders he heard at Ennis Texas, and since then, mine sounds the best. Now let me point out that these muffs might be a bit loud for having a baby in the car. Especially if you're expecting that little one to go to sleep. I doubt that would happen. But that is after all a special concern. it really depends on what you want. Some guys like myself bought a Marauder because of performance issues being number one. if you're like me, then you'll love the Magnaflows. let me also point out that I am single, so i don't have to listen to a wife nagging me about how loud my car is either. So you'll need to consider these things.

Another thing is that I'm one of the guys who has installed the Kook's headers myself, and I can tell you that like most long tube headers, it isn't easy. it took a couple days work for the headers, and another day for the rest of the exhaust. And I used a lift also. however I do tend to work at a slower pace than most people, because I'm very particular and methodical.

So none of this is to say anything negative at all about the reinhart exhausr package. I'm just bringing another point of view to this thread, and making mention of another option to my fellow board members. The exhaust on my car is on the loud side, but it isn't annoying by any stretch of the imagination IMO. it is loud enough to draw attention by the cops, but that's if you really get into the gas pedal like I often do. I have no regrets about installing this exhaust. It sounds great, and I constantly get compliments from people I don't even know about how great it sounds when i wiond it up. However all the compliments are from men, and boys. Women do NOT like it. But then again, it depends what you want. Me, I want performance first. And this exhaust sounds nothing like having open headers. i can assure you of that.

So whatever your choice is, choose wisely, and carefully.

schuvwj
01-25-2004, 03:55 AM
I when the same route as you "Reinhart performance" throughout. No pulleys and I have 20" Dynomax mufflers and stock pipes to the exhaust tips.
I find that petal preasure determines my shifting. I had it doing 90 in third.
I got the bug for a super charger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana2:

George please tell me how you like the sound and loudness of the 20" Dynomax driving at 20 mph, 60 mph or wide open? I herd that 20" mufflers would not fit our MMs.

Thanks!

johnjamis
01-25-2004, 06:32 AM
TripleG, I also would like to hear about the loudness and pitch of your dynomax setup. Have you heard the magnaflows; and if so, compare and contrast the sound level and pitch. Thanks, John

TripleTransAm
01-25-2004, 08:19 AM
I am SO interested in sound results by changing mufflers on the MM... I hereby volunteer to digitize any sound clip that is sent to me on audio tape or video and upload it to the site (if Logan's okay with the space usage). I like the idea of having a library of sounds available to help folks decide on exhaust note and pitch, etc...

TAF
01-25-2004, 09:14 AM
I am SO interested in sound results by changing mufflers on the MM... I hereby volunteer to digitize any sound clip that is sent to me on audio tape or video and upload it to the site (if Logan's okay with the space usage). I like the idea of having a library of sounds available to help folks decide on exhaust note and pitch, etc...
Although, I can appreciate what your saying /Steve...I don't think mpeg playing of an exhaust EVER does it justice...my recommendation is to make sure you visit a gathering of Marauders...and if someone has an exhaust mod...make sure you BOTH take it for a spin...AND you drive down the road on it's tail. There is a BIG difference in what you hear in the cabin and what it sounds like to other cars as you pass.

FordNut
01-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Another hard thing about judging muffler sounds is that there are so many different exhaust mods done in conjunction with muffler changes. It would be nice to line up several with various mufflers (18" baffled, 20" baffled, 18" unbaffled, flowmasters, etc.) but no other mods (stock tips, cats, manifolds, h-pipe). Then do a similar test of shorty header equipped cars with various mufflers, then Kook's equipped cars, etc.

Some of our unique setups are going to be difficult to determine whether the mufflers, headers, cats, x-pipe, tubing size, or tips are what gives it a desired (or irritating) sound. I do not expect my Kook's equipped car to sound like any other Kook's equipped car because I'm using a custom installed Bassani x-pipe and Edelbrock mufflers while most other folks are using the Kook's x-pipe and Magnaflows. It will be interesting to do a sound comparison between these two options, hopefully next month at the ATL breakfast. Barry, get on the ball!!!

BillyGman
01-25-2004, 05:51 PM
I think that both TAF, and Fordnut have made excellent points. I believe that what they're both saying is correct.

kurly
01-26-2004, 01:51 PM
If I've told you once...I've told you 1,000 times...get on I-85 South...less than 2 hours drive and I can get you hooked up with WHATEVER you need to do to your car...:up:

Todd, thanks "again" for the reminder. :D

(Seriously, when I get ready to do something major, I'll check in with you.)

adrian36
01-26-2004, 04:06 PM
I went to a pro shop where all they do are exhaust from honda's to ferrari's. These guys do it all. If you are in Miami they are Miami Muffler. Locate way down south Miami.

"20" Dynomax purrr really low at idle and growl when you floor it."

adrian36, thanks for the info. My 18" magnaflow setup (kooks, 2.5" pipe and x-pipe, stock tailpipe) purrs at idle and cruise, but wails when you floor it. I wonder if your growl is better than my wail?
Where did you get your 2.5" mandrel bent tailpipes? Thanks, John