kariamack
10-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Theres a monthly fee also .

mgmsleeper
10-23-2011, 09:27 PM
How much kari

Black&Gifted
10-23-2011, 09:41 PM
I looked at it and decided against it after doing some research on the internet. Actually decided against viper and related products, and went with compustar. Compustar has a similar product to the smart start viper thingy. While I didn't get it with the alarm I purchases, I am able to add it to my system very easily.

mgmsleeper
10-23-2011, 09:46 PM
I looked at it and decided against it after doing some research on the internet. Actually decided against viper and related products, and went with compustar. Compustar has a similar product to the smart start viper thingy. While I didn't get it with the alarm I purchases, I am able to add it to my system very easily.

Reason? Just curious

Black&Gifted
10-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Reason? Just curious

For what? Not getting the smart start thingy or going with compustar?

ctrlraven
10-24-2011, 05:13 AM
There is also about a 15 second or greater (sometimes) delay withe the smart start app.

For me I'd much rather have a 2-way transponder.

slickster
10-24-2011, 05:30 AM
I've been looking and looking and from what bad I see is that this has to be installed correctly. Even stereo shops and best buy will sometimes mess this up. Try to find a place that offers warranty and know there stuff. As for the delay it could be cellphone signal. Bottom line is this is it worth $400 if you already have a viper alarm $700 if you don't just to have your smart phone for a key fob. Or is it worth knowing that wherever you are if your alarm goes off or someone try to steel your car or tow it you will get a alert via text or ring 2k miles away and can see where your car is at gps from your phone also. Well for me I'm in the land of crown vics and grand marquis I think so. Oh it's also $40 a year. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I have a felling I'm getting this installed today will post up

slickster
10-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Ok so it's $673 for everything. $70 a year for gps. I called my nortons stereo they said they installed 5 within the year and no problems. They give me one year warranty so does viper. Will have video tonight

ctrlraven
10-24-2011, 07:02 AM
I know with the non-cell phone alarms I believe the warranty is lifetime minus the remotes (1 or 2 years) as long as the alarm is installed by a authorized retailer and installer for DEI product line.

mgmsleeper
10-24-2011, 08:28 AM
For what? Not getting the smart start thingy or going with compustar?

Going with compustar

mgmsleeper
10-24-2011, 08:29 AM
There is also about a 15 second or greater (sometimes) delay withe the smart start app.

For me I'd much rather have a 2-way transponder.

I prefer the fob as well I've always had viper products and been very pleased. I just bought the iPhone 4S so I asked about the app :lol:

mgmsleeper
10-24-2011, 08:33 AM
I've been looking and looking and from what bad I see is that this has to be installed correctly. Even stereo shops and best buy will sometimes mess this up. Try to find a place that offers warranty and know there stuff. As for the delay it could be cellphone signal. Bottom line is this is it worth $400 if you already have a viper alarm $700 if you don't just to have your smart phone for a key fob. Or is it worth knowing that wherever you are if your alarm goes off or someone try to steel your car or tow it you will get a alert via text or ring 2k miles away and can see where your car is at gps from your phone also. Well for me I'm in the land of crown vics and grand marquis I think so. Oh it's also $40 a year. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I have a felling I'm getting this installed today will post up

I never pay over 250 for the latest viper 2way alarm wat do u have

Black&Gifted
10-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Going with compustar

I've had viper/python/etc. products in the past and they have, for the most part, not done me wrong. Minor quirks here and there (mainly battery life) until I lost the fob for one of my viper equiped vehicles and the alarm manual kill switch wasn't working. Not a big deal as the alarm was 8 years old but I couldn't start the vehicle. May be considered a small inconvenience by some but it truely rubbed me the wrong way (obviously, it could be an install issue rather than the alarm itself, because the alarm was doing its job) and the car sat for 3 weeks until I could get around to dealing with it. End of the day, decided to pull the old alarm out and have a new alarm installed.

When I started looking, I remembered a senior and trusted member of another car forum that I was part of long ago said he only used compustar in his vehicles...and he had a VERY NICE fleet of vehicles. So I just started researching them. I like how dynamic they are and the versitility with their systems.

As for the base technology for products such as the Viper Smart Start, I think it was first put into play by compustar. Also, the compustar techology (I believe) was first developed for commercial applications (e.g., vehicle fleets, etc.), but regardless, is currently used by companies and municipalities. Basically, support and technology is very dependable, which I like as a consumer.

Directed Electronics make a very good all in one product with different trim lines/features. However, I personally like the customizability with the compustar products. You can start off with a basic AMAZING alarm and add from there. You can also choose type and stype of key fobs, which I like. The Drone technology (compustar's equivalent to Smart Start) can be added to my existing system for $150 by my installer (plus whatever monthly service fee) and I only have $400 into one of their top of the line remote start/alarm systems (includes installation).

slickster
10-24-2011, 04:25 PM
So I went to my stereo shop and they had the vss5000 that has everything. Then we notice that the module was only for the cell phone options but not gps. So we called viper twice and they said the gps module was 300 more. So for everything installed 1100. Something is really wrong there and I don't know

Black&Gifted
10-25-2011, 07:40 AM
So I went to my stereo shop and they had the vss5000 that has everything. Then we notice that the module was only for the cell phone options but not gps. So we called viper twice and they said the gps module was 300 more. So for everything installed 1100. Something is really wrong there and I don't know

Another reason I went with Compustar...

slickster
10-25-2011, 05:52 PM
So viper had a update that know one knew about yet. The price is 750