PDA

View Full Version : Need Assistance from GEORGIA

BirchMarauder
10-26-2011, 11:43 AM
I've got a GA tag # from a guy who hit n ran on my wifes car. Was wondering if I provided the tag # to someone, if they would be able to get detailed information on who this person is so I can take care of business. I am persuing other avenues to see if I can find information but thought I'd try here also. let me know.

Thanks

Marauderman
10-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Why not pursue with your Fla LEO authorities with the hit-in-run info with the tag # and let them track 'um down?

PonyUP
10-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Why not pursue with your Fla LEO authorities with the hit-in-run info with the tag # and let them track 'um down?

+1, chances are an ordinary citizen won't be able to do a plate trace, and a LEO could probably do it, but I'm pretty sure there are specific rules to using that database for personal use.

If you file a report and have the tag #, Law Enforcement should be able to help you catch up with the individual.

BirchMarauder
10-26-2011, 12:15 PM
accident happened in florida, filed a report, didn't get the impression JSO was going to do anything about it or hunt him down although I talked to an officer who said they normally send out a letter asking them to respond to the situation but i'm not sure if that was done in this case. getting a copy of the report as soon as I can to see if its on there. I have a form MV20 from ga.gov website to get information just takes mailing time + 4 weeks to return the information. just thought I'd throw it out there and see...well you know.

PonyUP
10-26-2011, 12:17 PM
accident happened in florida, filed a report, didn't get the impression JSO was going to do anything about it or hunt him down although I talked to an officer who said they normally send out a letter asking them to respond to the situation but i'm not sure if that was done in this case. getting a copy of the report as soon as I can to see if its on there. I have a form MV20 from ga.gov website to get information just takes mailing time + 4 weeks to return the information. just thought I'd throw it out there and see...well you know.

Once you get the police report, you may be able to reach out to Georgia State Patrol and see if they can help

DarkCloud03
10-26-2011, 12:25 PM
LEO usually wont do anything even with a plate # unless it was an injury accident

F8LBITEva
10-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Give the plate number to your insurance company. Let them do all the work

Vortex
10-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Im sure you know your insurance company will do all the footwork on that.

BirchMarauder
10-26-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm still confused why but claims rep says he isnt able to get any information from the GA tag #.....yet I can fill out this form and mail it in with a check for $1 and copy of police report and get the guys information. wierd!

Marauderman
10-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Maybe you can go file for a warrant for hit and run against the owner of said plate with your jurisdiction and maybe that would put it out on the national dat base so when an LEO stops that plate it will come back with an outstanding warrant and Boom!--you got him......least find out if its possible--folks fill out warrants all the time for just about anything......

BirchMarauder
10-27-2011, 04:36 AM
Maybe you can go file for a warrant for hit and run against the owner of said plate with your jurisdiction and maybe that would put it out on the national dat base so when an LEO stops that plate it will come back with an outstanding warrant and Boom!--you got him......least find out if its possible--folks fill out warrants all the time for just about anything......

I'll check into that as well.

GAMike
10-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Birch....... All Georgia record searches are tracked via computer/ID & password.

A GSP or local LEO would run some serious risk if a license plate they ran a search on corrolated to a person that was found in a ditch on the side of the road.:cool:

Good luck just the same.....

BirchMarauder
10-27-2011, 12:33 PM
would never ask anyone to do anything illegal or that would get them in trouble. I think I got it all figured out. was mostly just frustrated with the hoops that I was jumping through. Thanks

Da Dark Jedi
10-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Here in Illinois you have to file the report with local LEO's. You Ins will get the report from them and depending on what type Ins coverage you have your Ins should pay for the damage. Just because you have a tag # does not mean the owner of said vehicle was at the wheel. Doesn't a warrant has to be issued by a judge. Were there any bodily injuries or just property damage? Call your Ins co and they will fix your car and pursue the other party.

GAMike
10-27-2011, 08:10 PM
would never ask anyone to do anything illegal or that would get them in trouble. I think I got it all figured out. was mostly just frustrated with the hoops that I was jumping through. Thanks

No worries Birch...... Where I grew up:coolman: & ya asked that question ya had to know the right people and thats all it took.... Down here in the ATL it started that way i'm sure, but then people in high places started demanding payments and favors in exchange for info..... Thats where things got shall we say...... "Complicated".

Good luck with resolving your issue......