PDA

View Full Version : Looking at an 03 marauder, advise?

atistang
10-31-2011, 08:05 AM
I stumbled across this 03 marauder with 90k miles on it last week. The owner says it has an air bag light on, and that it has some scratches and scuffs, but still shines up nice. They want $5700. They said it runs and drives really good. The engine bay and interor are both very dirty which isnt that big a deal to me.

My big issue is will i be able to get my money back out of the car in 2 years or so as i plan to buy a new mustang then? I've always thought marauders were cool and figured this would be a good time for me to own one for a while. Seems like that is a dirt cheap price compared to all the others i've seen for sale.

I know i need to check the function of the head lights, and for the axle seals to be leaking along with all the usual stuff. Anything else i should look for when i go check it out? Any ideas on what the air bag light could be?

bugsyc
10-31-2011, 08:27 AM
If it checks out mechanically,it' a great deal.

DOOM
10-31-2011, 08:41 AM
Why is the air bag light on??? Was it hit?

Get a carfax or an oasis report on it.

atistang
10-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Why is the air bag light on??? Was it hit?

Get a carfax or an oasis report on it.

They said "its nothing, the dealer said the light just needs reset"

lol. I dont think it has been, i plan to run a car fax when i get home

atistang
10-31-2011, 09:07 AM
http://tapatalk.com/mu/186a6672-c784-d31a.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/186a6672-c790-eddb.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/186a6672-c7a2-8cd1.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/186a6672-c7ad-2101.jpg

Body looks clean

SC Cheesehead
10-31-2011, 11:05 AM
They said "its nothing, the dealer said the light just needs reset"

lol. I dont think it has been, i plan to run a car fax when i get home

Uhhhh, then maybe he should take it to a dealer and have it "re-set" before he sells it... ;)

MOTOWN
10-31-2011, 11:28 AM
At that price point you realy cant complain, as you get what you pay for

SID210SA
10-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Is it an "airbag light" or an "airbag light".....what I mean is and SRS light or Air Suspension light.

atistang
10-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Is it an "airbag light" or an "airbag light".....what I mean is and SRS light or Air Suspension light.
good point, idk

babbage
10-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Looks like batt was replaced, and has the "stop" I have a K&N drop in.

Don't think it will pass inspection with Air Bag light on...

a_d_a_m
10-31-2011, 01:23 PM
atistang, where in Ohio are you located, and where is this vehicle located? If it's northeastern enough, I can try to go look at it with/for you.

Don't think it will pass inspection with Air Bag light on... Ohio inspections aren't that rigorous. They only check emissions.

mgmsleeper
10-31-2011, 03:38 PM
at that price point you realy cant complain, as you get what you pay for

+1 .........

atistang
10-31-2011, 03:44 PM

where i live i only have to get something inspected if it has a salvage title

atistang, where in Ohio are you located, and where is this vehicle located? If it's northeastern enough, I can try to go look at it with/for you.

Ohio inspections aren't that rigorous. They only check emissions.
thanks for the offer, but it is sw ohio, near cincinnati

Blackened300a
10-31-2011, 03:45 PM

Air bag or ABS light will pass. A note will be made, but its not reason to fail.

atistang
10-31-2011, 03:45 PM
still waiting for an email back with the vin#, if they wont give me the vin then i'm not even gonna go look at it. its over an hour away

a_d_a_m
10-31-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm sure that there are some Ohio members, or even Kentucky members, who might be willing to help out.

RF Overlord
10-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Air bag or ABS light will pass. A note will be made, but its not reason to fail.In MA, ABS light will pass, airbag light will not. So something that could help prevent an accident will not fail, but something that won't deploy until after you've already HAD the accident will. Stupid RMV.

atistang
11-01-2011, 03:12 AM
well the carfax has some interesting stuff on it

one accident rear impact moderate damage - i wonder if that involves the quarter panels???

government use - probably a lot of hours on the engine for the miles it has, plus if it cruised around a city all day could have been a lot of hard acceleration

title correction, not sure if maybe thats when they paid it off and got rid of the lien?

what do you guys think? I am hesitant because if i pull the money out of the bank and go all the way down there (1hr 20mins one way) i have pretty much made up my mind at that point lol

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/atistang/Untitled-7.jpg

boatmangc
11-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Take it to a Pep Boys, tell them what is up, they have a vehicle inspection for potential purchases.
They put it on a rack so you can look underneath, You can check for VIN tags on all the body panels as well as look for any other indicators of collisions.

Just because a car has a clean oasis or carfax report doesn't mean diddly.
I bought a 2001 GM in 2003 with very low miles, got it right, didn't take the time to check it out. A month later when I was doing the exhaust i found shims between the body and the frame all down tha passenger side. further investigation showed the rear was out of alignment by enough to affect drivability at speeds 80+.
It's only cheap if it isn't a POS that will drain you

a_d_a_m
11-01-2011, 06:38 AM
one accident rear impact moderate damage...

government use...

what do you guys think? I'd pass.

There are other Marauders out there for a little more money that don't have this sketchy history and probably have lower miles. Save up a little more money and buy one that won't have you second-guessing it every time you look at it.

Guittard22
11-01-2011, 07:05 AM
There are other Marauders out there i would have to say pass on this one sorry to say

BlueMarauder
11-01-2011, 11:45 AM
A flashing airbag light need not be a deal breaker. It could be an airbag sensor. A dealer can likely determine the cause but interpreting the sequence of the flashing of the light. For example, 4 flashes and then one more can signify a sensor in the left front part of the car.

Guittard22
11-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Did you go see the car ?

71cyclone
11-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Check the air bag fuse first, if you can