PDA

View Full Version : Since there are already some franken-rauders out there...

MrBluGruv
11-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Quite possibly the best Chevro-Ford 4-door setup yet?

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1483177-few-enhancements-lincoln-ls.html#post15583803

I'm a little jealous.

Scratch that, I'm a lot jealous.

bigmerc281
11-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Quite possibly the best Chevro-Ford 4-door setup yet?

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1483177-few-enhancements-lincoln-ls.html#post15583803

I'm a little jealous.

Scratch that, I'm a lot jealous.

the power of ls1 with Lincoln luxury nice... :eek:

mcgyver59
11-03-2011, 08:45 PM
This car was in ebay about 8 montha ago for 10k
Worth every penny imho

guspech750
11-04-2011, 03:19 AM
Awesome!! Simply awesome!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

2,4shofast
11-04-2011, 06:18 AM
That is a pretty nice set up indeed:beer:

Captain Dynball
11-04-2011, 06:26 AM
I like it alot...though I would rather have an automatic transmission in a cruiser like a Lincoln!

TFB
11-04-2011, 06:45 AM
If Ford had not gone with the wimpy 4.6L displacement, we could make NA HP as well... I look at a NA 4.6 as a 190Lb woman with a A cup bra, something of that size needs at least a set of DDs(more displacement)... A 4V 4.6 is as large as a Boss 429...

rayjay
11-04-2011, 07:11 AM
That had to be a job! We own a 02 LS8 and the 3.9L Jag engine is shoehorned in there as it is. My wife doesn't need all that HP. :nono:

Captain Dynball
11-04-2011, 07:32 AM
If Ford had not gone with the wimpy 4.6L displacement, we could make NA HP as well... I look at a NA 4.6 as a 190Lb woman with a A cup bra, something of that size needs at least a set of DDs(more displacement)... A 4V 4.6 is as large as a Boss 429...

I definitely agree with this. In my local club we always get in discussions with the pushrod guys because they will say something stupid like "we can make all that power without a supercharger" and you just want to strangle them!

Fosters
11-04-2011, 08:57 AM

The 4.6 displacement is not necessarily a problem... there are other mistakes ford made that are much bigger. The bore size first of all causes the valves to be shrouded, so the whole advantage of having 4 valves per cylinder is kinda lost. If the 4.6 had more bore and less stroke, it would be a much better setup. The next thing is, the intakes. They insist on putting long assed runner intakes on these things, which in turn kills top end power, all for gaining a few pounds of torque in the low end. Then there are the cam choices, which are limited by the lack of intake; 384 lift is very tiny, and can't really go much bigger until you address the intake issues...

The intake could have been easily addressed with an FR500 style intake. They did it on the aviator, the one that needed it probably the least out of the 3 n/a dohc cars that received these motors - the marauder, mach1 and aviator. Why on earth they decided to put that intake on the aviator and not on the marauder and mach, is beyond me. The Aviator intake is a bit more truck-ish than the FR500, the FR500 intake is good for another 30-40rwhp, as the short runner is almost half; 7 inches vs 13 inches if I recall correctly. That lets these motors make power up to the 7200 rpm, like they were designed to in the first place... On the other hand, that intake and some beefier cams would have put the mach1 and marauder waay too close to the stock 03 cobra.

Had they thrown in an iron version (which they finally started making, thank god) of the 3.72" big bore 4.6 - 5.0 - of the block, the results would have been even better. The intake would have indeed cost a bit more to make then the current intake, the block would likely have been cheaper vs the aluminum block, and overall I think it would be close to a wash... with another hundred horsepower on tap. But gotta thank the bean counters...

Back to the OP: Normally, I don't care much for mutt cars, but the 3.9L in those things is a turd... and they're not exactly known for their reliability, so even to me, the LSx would be an improvement...

TFB
11-04-2011, 12:29 PM
The 4.6 displacement is not necessarily a problem... there are other mistakes ford made that are much bigger. The bore size first of all causes the valves to be shrouded, so the whole advantage of having 4 valves per cylinder is kinda lost. If the 4.6 had more bore and less stroke, it would be a much better setup. The next thing is, the intakes. They insist on putting long assed runner intakes on these things, which in turn kills top end power, all for gaining a few pounds of torque in the low end. Then there are the cam choices, which are limited by the lack of intake; 384 lift is very tiny, and can't really go much bigger until you address the intake issues...

You won't get any argument from me, the reasons you state is why my first love will always be the over square OHV engines... The miniscule 289 from back in the '60s has a 4.00" bore with only a 2.87" crank, easy to have valves sizes that will flow freely...

sailsmen
11-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Tripple Threat Tripple Threat has got a real Frankenstein!