PDA

View Full Version : Something I invented for work.

CBT
11-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Twice in the last 3 years, a stanchion has fallen from the flight deck into the hanger bay below. Once on CVN-70, and recently on CVN-71. Once was bad enough, twice is just plain embarassing. Luckily, actually amazingly, no one was hit. 40 pounds of steel falling 40 feet, all your hard hat is going to do is provide more stuff to get shoved into your brain. Anyway, the reason it fell the first time was the stanchion was laying down and rolled off. This time, a worker was lowering it by using a straight tip screw driver and it tilted, screw driver slid out, bye bye stanchion. It did not help that the person who let go had weak wrists due to carpel tunnel syndrome surgery, but that's a leadership failure in my personal opinion. So, I devised the tool seen in the pictures. (The tool is not me, Phrogg!) It has knurled grips for, well, grip I guess. And the round finger guards are tall enough so that even if you let the stanchion drop, your knuckles will not get smooshed. Both handles unscrew, there are no other tools required. The shaft is long enough so you can get vice grips on it and turn it if need be. Like if say some big okeydoke mofo like guspech750 who doesn't know his own strength because of eating lead paint chips as a child over tightens it, you can get grips on it and get the handles off. It is made out of stainless because I said so. The threads are greased with AMSOIL 'racing grease' bearing grease I have in the garage. Now, a stanchion cannot roll off, or fall thru, the flight deck. Our safety rep is in one picture with me. She's great, really takes safety seriously. She's the one that wanted to take pics and do a write up. She asked what I called it, I looked at my boss and said "I call it my next promotion!" :D

Pops
11-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Ain't you sumting naw!:D

RacerX
11-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Ahhhh... That's worth about $80,000 to the Navy! :D

Mr. Man
11-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Nice going sailor. :2thumbs:

For those of us that are land lubbers WTF is a stanchion and what does it do and why do you need to take it off in the first place.:dunno:

MM2004
11-07-2011, 01:05 PM

For those of us that are land lubbers WTF is a stanchion and what does it do and why do you need to take it off in the first place.:dunno:

Eric.

Here Ya' Go...

Stanchion (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=WTF+is+a+stanchion+on+a+Nav y+ship%3F)

Mike.

CBT
11-07-2011, 01:07 PM

The stanchions are normally hidden, flush with the flight deck. When the aircraft elevators come down from the roof, these stanchion raise up, with a wire cable running thru them, to prevent people from falling down onto the elevator. Aircraft elevators take aircraft up to, or down from, the flight deck. In 'Topgun', they have a slow-mo scene of Tom and his F-14 on an elevator. They operate electrically most of the time, but they can be manually cranked. Sometimes, they jam up and have to be adjusted. Or they just need to be cleaned. Working on them is not that dangerous. Dropping them, well that is dangerous. So where you see the device running thru the stanchion "cap" is where the wire rope would normally be. With the device, either one person can lower and raise it or they can use a two man rule if they want. Either way, I don't really care, as long as they quit dropping them.

2,4shofast
11-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Well done bro! Way to address a potentially deadly problem I think a promotion is well deserved...

justbob
11-07-2011, 01:11 PM
OOOOhhh SHINEY! Looks good Bud! Do it in your garage?

This was posted live, in real time.

CBT
11-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Well done bro! Way to address a potentially deadly problem I think a promotion is well deserved...

Awww, thanks! :beer: Since anything invented on company time is company owned, a lil cash would be super but that was the last thing on my mind. Forget if we had hit one of our own employees, can you imagine if we hit a sailor? Possibly twice? I'd kick us out of the 'yard! We can't be killing customers, that's probably the first rule of business, lol!

Vortex
11-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Bravo Zulu Casey!

MMBLUE
11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Cool man. Think of it this way, you potentialy saved the tax payers 400K each. haha, I didn't know you worked as a contractor for the GOV, The CAC gave it away. Just get a NSN for it and retire:banana2:

Phrog_gunner
11-07-2011, 02:17 PM
That could make a SWEET stainless pogo stick....

2,4shofast
11-07-2011, 02:22 PM
We can't be killing customers, that's probably the first rule of business, lol!

Depends on your job I suppose, they would be very angry if we didnt kill our customers:beer:

guspech750
11-07-2011, 03:16 PM
About time I see a pic of this thing. Looks very cool and usefull!! Oh I knew my little Casey Wasey was good for something. :)

Does it speed up the time it takes to cook a turkey? :D

---
- Sent from my iPhone
Eaton Swap + 4.10's = Wreeeeeeeeeedom!!

SC Cheesehead
11-07-2011, 03:35 PM
:congrats: bubba! :2thumbs:

BTW, why is that lady smiling, and where is your left hand?

Just askin'...

guspech750
11-07-2011, 03:58 PM
See a need. Fill a need.
http://img.tapatalk.com/638e200d-627c-7b18.jpg

---
- Sent from my iPhone

Bigdogjim
11-07-2011, 04:01 PM
See if they will name it after you? The "CBT" safety latch?

CBT
11-07-2011, 04:12 PM
See if they will name it after you? The "CBT" safety latch?

Not sure what it will be called, but we will have to pick something because each job that involves it has paperwork, so it will have to have a name for the step in the job that says something to the effect of 'secure stanchion and maintain positive control via the blah blah blah device'. Up until now, there was no tool to use. That's why it is hard to lay all the blame on the worker. We didn't provide him with the proper equipment, so whose fault is it actually? I don't like the guy, personally. I'd fire him if he worked for me. He got some longevity award 2 weeks ago for "being with the company 18 years". I said outloud "and actually worked for 2 of them." But, his actions drove me to make the damn thing so it all works out in the end.

Bigdogjim
11-07-2011, 04:44 PM
K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid:)

How about just calling it a "CBT pin" ?

guspech750
11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
How about "Nimrod"?

---
- Sent from my iPhone

Phrog_gunner
11-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Ski Pole???

05crownsport
11-07-2011, 05:37 PM
I am proud of you Casey! It's refreshing to see some people really do still care about the safety of others...and yourself of course, and I know what you mean about that 18 year guy. We have those too.
Now, about those pictures...one of them looks like you are riding a segway, another your CAC is hanging out, and there is something going on behind your backs in the last picture. :banana:

P.S.
Maybe have a competition on here to name it? Pick three favorites and do a poll. My name would be the Casey Stancion Holder Tool Retainer...or CSHTR

Bluerauder
11-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Great job, Casey. :up: I'd call it a "Stan-Handle" or "Stanch-Handle". The government usually pays for any Engineering Change Proposals (ECP) that improve performance, efficiency or safety. This one obviously falls easily into the last category ... probably efficiency too.

I seriously doubt whether the company can lay claim to your intellectual property especially if such items do not fall specifically within the scope of your particular job responsibilities. A good company would certainly recognize your ingenuity and professionalism in the improvement of safety for everyone aboard ship. Let's hope that they do the right thing for your recommendation.

CBT
11-08-2011, 05:02 AM
Great job, Casey. :up: I'd call it a "Stan-Handle" or "Stanch-Handle". <---sounds better than 'Pole Holder', lol!
The government usually pays for any Engineering Change Proposals (ECP) that improve performance, efficiency or safety. This one obviously falls easily into the last category ... probably efficiency too.

I seriously doubt whether the company can lay claim to your intellectual property especially if such items do not fall specifically within the scope of your particular job responsibilities. A good company would certainly recognize your ingenuity and professionalism in the improvement of safety for everyone aboard ship. Let's hope that they do the right thing for your recommendation.

We'll see what happens with this one, but it is not the only thing I've been inventing. I have been working with a company on something else I came up with, got a thumbs up from my patent lawyer, have to go tomorrow and review the paperwork and decide what to do with it. It has nothing to do with my job or anything we work on so this one is all on me. I actually thought of it in 1998 but the technology was not there to make a working model. Now it is. :)

Haggis
11-08-2011, 05:23 AM
Call it a Bruno Device.

Pic #2 What a dork!

Pic #3 Love is in the air.

SID210SA
11-08-2011, 06:08 AM
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26 614&d=1320693643 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26 614&d=1320693643)

Is that a phone in your pocket or are you happy to see someone???? lol

SC Cheesehead
11-08-2011, 06:29 AM
We'll see what happens with this one, but it is not the only thing I've been inventing. I have been working with a company on something else I came up with, got a thumbs up from my patent lawyer, have to go tomorrow and review the paperwork and decide what to do with it. It has nothing to do with my job or anything we work on so this one is all on me. I actually thought of it in 1998 but the technology was not there to make a working model. Now it is. :)

(YAWN) Inflatable dolls have been around alot longer that that...;)

Phrog_gunner
11-08-2011, 06:34 AM
(YAWN) Inflatable dolls have been around alot longer that that...;)

But how about inflatable SHEEP?

SC Cheesehead
11-08-2011, 06:36 AM
But how about inflatable SHEEP?

Dang, that ol' Casey, always thinking outside da box...

rayjay
11-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Nice work Casey!

dakslim
11-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Hmmm, all this time I thought he worked for a company that cuts the ropes off of soap! Who knew?

Phrog_gunner
11-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Hmmm, all this time I thought he worked for a company that cuts the ropes off of soap! Who knew?

AAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAhahahahaha. :beer:

justbob
11-08-2011, 08:14 AM
CASEment pin. Your welcome. :)

CBT
11-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Is that a phone in your pocket or are you happy to see someone???? lol
Would you like to make a call? Operators are standing by. :D

TAKEDOWN
11-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Nice one CBT pretty HIGH SPEED if ya' ask me! Wow, can you imagine how many lives were saved or how many serious injuries were prevented from your mod. Btw Guspech750/Joey has retard strength? I wouldn't know because he holds me Oh so gently!

CBT
11-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Nice one CBT pretty HIGH SPEED if ya' ask me! Wow, can you imagine how many lives were saved or how many serious injuries were prevented from your mod. Btw Guspech750/Joey has retard strength? I wouldn't know because he holds me Oh so gently!

Movin' in on my man?! Why i aughta...

SC Cheesehead
11-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Sung to the tune of "Mickey" by Toni Basil

Oh, Joey, what a pity
You don't understand
You take me by the heart
When you take me by the hand
Oh, Joey, you're so pretty
Can't you understand
It's guys like you, Joey
Oh, what you do, Joey, do, Joey
Don't break my heart, Joey....

;)

TAKEDOWN
11-08-2011, 05:39 PM

Let's be realistic here CBT, long distance relationships just don't work out... Joey is ALL mine!

justbob
11-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Discostick (you can thank ladygaga)

Phrog_gunner
11-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Sung to the tune of "Mickey" by Toni Basil

Oh, Joey, what a pity
You don't understand
You take me by the heart
When you take me by the hand
Oh, Joey, you're so pretty
Can't you understand
It's guys like you, Joey
Oh, what you do, Joey, do, Joey
Don't break my heart, Joey....

;)

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be:

Hey, Joey, you're so fine
You're so fine, you blow my mind
Hey, Joey!

guspech750
11-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Finally this thread is full of win!!

---
- Sent from my iPhone

SC Cheesehead
11-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be:

Hey, Joey, you're so fine
You're so fine, you blow my mind
Hey, Joey!

That's another verse, I didn't wanna get him all worked up...