PDA

View Full Version : 36 years ago today

babbage
11-10-2011, 02:02 PM
I always thought this song was touching. I was helping my Father bring back a 44 foot Viking across lake Ontario a few weeks back with 8 foot waves and thought of this...

hgI8bta-7aw

Phrog_gunner
11-10-2011, 02:05 PM
I never realized this happened on the Birthday of the Corps. I probably won't forget it now.

Bluerauder
11-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I always thought this song was touching.

I remember. It was only a month & a half after I got married.

The tune is haunting.

There are two lines that give me the shivers ....

"...when the waves turn the minutes to hours." Anyone who has been on the water in a storm knows exactly what this means.

"The churchbell chimed ... it rang 29 times for each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald". Very sad. :( R.I.P. to the Captain and Crew of the S.S. Edmund Fitgerald.

I don't think that they ever figured out EXACTLY what happened to the ship; but I saw a show on the History Channel years ago that leans toward two theories. The first had huge waves that essentially lifted the ship fore and aft leaving its cargo laden mid-section suspended causing the ship to break in half. The second theory has a huge wave come from aft of the ship raising the rear and causing the bow to go under and dive into the lake bottom where it then also breaks in half. I kinda lean toward the 1st explanation.

Blk Mamba
11-10-2011, 03:17 PM
There is also another theory, that some of the large deck hatches were partially open, and the extra weight of the water that ran in caused the sinking.

CBT
11-10-2011, 04:08 PM
I've heard that song a million times, but that video is a fantastic tribute. I'd have to say the worst storm I was ever in was in the Bermuda Triangle. I don't think we had a single athiest onboard by the time it was over.

Cheeseheadbob
11-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Nor are there any atheists in a foxhole, or in a CH-47 with special weapons on board listening to the transmissions grinding themselves to a pulp while the pilot is very calmly telling the NCOIC (me) to prepare for an unplanned landing...:eek:
I don't think we had a single athiest onboard by the time it was over.

Guittard22
11-12-2011, 10:01 AM
large deck hatches were partially open they thing but there were air vents in the front of the huge boat that were about 5 inches around that they say wave water when in them that filled the lower floors of the holding pits . this is like post #4 just wanted to add to it

Pops
11-12-2011, 10:08 AM
9 to 13 foot waves on Lake Michigan again for Sunday. We have had a lot of wind the last couple of months around here. The Great Lakes are never to be taken for granted! They will take you out if you do not respect them.

ShadyLurker
11-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I've heard that song a million times, but that video is a fantastic tribute. I'd have to say the worst storm I was ever in was in the Bermuda Triangle. I don't think we had a single athiest onboard by the time it was over.

I've prayed a few times myself. 25 to 30 ft seas on a 120x35 ft tug boat can be a little unnerving.