PDA

View Full Version : towing with a marauder?

Chayton
11-11-2011, 05:58 PM
I remember a while back I side a picture of someone towing a pretty darn big speed boat with a marauder :eek: anyways, me and my friend have a plan for this summer, and I was wondering, how would you go about towing a car with the marauder, specifically a Chevy Colorado. Now most of you by now must be thinking, why not tow the marauder with the chevy? well its the puny i5 model, towing capacity is like a little over 4000 pounds LOL. basically what would need to be done to tow with a uhaul car carrier thing a majigger :confused:

SC Cheesehead
11-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Issue has been addressed many, many times in the past.

A MM should be capable of pulling 3,500 lbs., trans and oil coolers would be a good idea, though.

tjl006
11-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Personally been in a marauder while towing the following: 1967 GTX, 1990 Mazda Miata, 2007 saturn Sky, 1999 Chevy camaro SS. That being said it was done with a featherweight aluminum trailer and none of these vehichles(I belive) are as heavy as the colorado. Marauder did great. car only has a tranny cooler.

Chayton
11-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Personally been in a marauder while towing the following: 1967 GTX, 1990 Mazda Miata, 2007 saturn Sky, 1999 Chevy camaro SS. That being said it was done with a featherweight aluminum trailer and none of these vehichles(I belive) are as heavy as the colorado. Marauder did great. car only has a tranny cooler.

thanks, thats just what i wanted to here. whats the farthest you traveled while towing?

Vortex
11-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Before you tow, take a look at those tiny Watts linkages on your rear axle. I wouldnt recommend it.

sailsmen
11-12-2011, 11:44 AM
What is the area? Rain, snow, ice, hills, heat?

What are the margins you are pushing?

Air bag suspension. Distance from rear axle to trailer hitch.

I towed boats with a GM and a Windstar. The GM has been rated as one of the best tow cars and has a higher capacity then the WS. The WS towed much better because the hitch is near the rear axle.

I have towed an Airstream with a E150 and an E350. Never knew it was back there until you braked.

I have towed 30' boats and I have towed the MM.

A guy I knew was killed when the Suburban he was in rolled due to the Jeep he was towing getting a flat.

Don't mess around with towing.

tjl006
11-12-2011, 03:25 PM
thanks, thats just what i wanted to here. whats the farthest you traveled while towing?

The car Im referencing is my friend Bobbys car. He has towed his saturn sky from NYC to Florida twice so far. The miata we towed from Pensylvania to nyc, the gtx from nyc to new jersey.

Chayton
11-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Before you tow, take a look at those tiny Watts linkages on your rear axle. I wouldnt recommend it.

What is the area? Rain, snow, ice, hills, heat?

What are the margins you are pushing?

Air bag suspension. Distance from rear axle to trailer hitch.

I towed boats with a GM and a Windstar. The GM has been rated as one of the best tow cars and has a higher capacity then the WS. The WS towed much better because the hitch is near the rear axle.

I have towed an Airstream with a E150 and an E350. Never knew it was back there until you braked.

I have towed 30' boats and I have towed the MM.

A guy I knew was killed when the Suburban he was in rolled due to the Jeep he was towing getting a flat.

Don't mess around with towing.

I dont even have a marauder yet, just trying to figure out the best way to get it back if I needed to when it comes around to buying. driving it would probably be the safest way.

Fosters
11-14-2011, 06:47 PM
I dont even have a marauder yet, just trying to figure out the best way to get it back if I needed to when it comes around to buying. driving it would probably be the safest way.

Not to mention the most fun way.

Oddly enough, the MM is rated to tow more than my old jeep... so much for being a big bad 4x4 suv... :o

MyBlackBeasts
11-14-2011, 07:22 PM

If you tow, the most important thing to remember is to turn the O/D off. You never want to tow with the O/D on, you will fry the trans. Good luck and drive slow & safe. :)